Kodak 5300 print problems

Old July 18th 07, 10:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
the-changling

Default Kodak 5300 print problems

I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The
printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need
it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon
Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it
and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was
very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new
print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now
after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print
head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep
cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that
would be. But that was the best they can do.

Is this normal for this printer? I am thinking it is.

Thanks in advance.

Old July 19th 07, 12:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

the-changling wrote:
I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The
printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need
it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon
Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it
and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was
very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new
print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now
after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print
head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep
cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that
would be. But that was the best they can do.

Is this normal for this printer? I am thinking it is.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think there is a Kodak representative frequenting this group
doing public relations. That is so people like you will buy it. Now I
have a Canon IP4000 (current version is the IP4300) and have left it on
(but unused) for a month and never even had to do any cleaning. But Of
Course I use only OEM ink. I want the best results, longest life and
not print clogging.

Old July 19th 07, 12:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Printer Bob wrote:

the-changling wrote in news:1184793198.393517.84320 @e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that would be. But that was the best they can do. Is this normal for this printer?

In your particular case, yes. You print something only every other month and then call Kodak to complain the printer is clogged. You get it going again and then wait another month letting the printer clog. The cycle of clogging and unclogging is your own doing. Use it more regularly. Print something - anything! - once or twice weekly and everyone will be happy, even you.

Those statements are absurd.  If one goes on a 6 week vacation they should not have to expect that their equipment would be ruined including but not limited to computer equipment.  Let say you bought a Canon 5D for use on vacations.  You waited 8 months to take a vacation.  You should not expect the Camera to be ruined.
Old July 19th 07, 12:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Greg Cisko

"Printer Bob" wrote in message
In your particular case, yes. You print something only every other month
and then call Kodak to complain the printer is clogged. You get it going
again and then wait another month letting the printer clog. The cycle of
clogging and unclogging is your own doing. Use it more regularly. Print
something - anything! - once or twice weekly and everyone will be happy,
even you.

Really. It sounds more like this printer does not park it's head properly
and therefore clogs. I guess it is normal. I may try to get my $$$ back.

Old July 19th 07, 01:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Greg Cisko

"Printer Bob" wrote in message
Normal?...... You're too absurd to be real. Must be yet another endless
Measekite re-invention of fake "Stan", note the sudden name change from
"Changling" (spelt wrong!) to "Greg Cisko". Goodbye!!! Plonk!

Awesome. Printer bob was too kick ass for me anyway. "the changling" is
my yahoo google group account I use from work... Duh... If you look at
the message closely you will still see . Yep bob is
too cool for me. I would like to get my printer going though, and certainly
did not expect any "quick to flame ahole" in this group. I mean it is only
a printer group. WTF... aholes everywhere I guess.

Old July 19th 07, 09:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Oh-oh, this is what I was concerned might happen. It's called the curse
of the inkjet printer. Dye inks are less likely to clog than pigment.
SO far, the only formulation of pigment ink I have seen that doesn't
clog up regularly is Epson's Ultrachrome, and it is only available on
the higher end art printers, which can work with slow drying inks.

Not sure how things go with HP's Vivera pigment inks however, not heard
enough about them yet.

It's all well and good for companies to offer "lot's of deep cleaning
cycles" as the solution to clogged heads, when they aren't paying for
the ink. The one good thing about the Kodak models is at least the ink
is cheaper when it is wasted during cleaning cycles.

Art

Old July 19th 07, 12:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

If your intention is to only run this printer once a month then you will
continue to be plagued with having to do deep clean cycles everytime you
print. Even my Epson R1800, which uses the Ultrachrome inks as mentioned by
Art, needs to be run once at least every two to three weeks to avoid a minor
clog.
Clogging will also be affected by the humidity in the air, and dryer
climates will necessitate running the printer more often, as will the
particular ink being used, in addition to the specific manufacturer of the
ink. One using an inkjet this infrequently would be better off with a laser
printer, unless photo printing is a must.

--
Jan Alter

or

the-changling wrote:

[...]

particular ink being used, and specific manufacturer of the ink. One using
an inkjet this infrequently would be better off with a laser printer, unless
photo printing is a must. Inkjets are comparable to a muscle in terms of
viability. Use it or lose it.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old July 19th 07, 02:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Greg Cisko

Never was a problem with my Canon 4300 bubblejet. Maybe they don't
make em like they used to?

--

the-changling wrote:

[...]

unless photo printing is a must. Inkjets are comparable to a muscle in

Old July 19th 07, 03:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Oh-oh, this is what I was concerned might happen. It's called the
curse of the inkjet printer. Dye inks are less likely to clog than
pigment. SO far, the only formulation of pigment ink I have seen that
doesn't clog up regularly is Epson's Ultrachrome, and it is only
available on the higher end art printers, which can work with slow
drying inks.

And that does not include relabeled inks since they are not the
Ultrachrome formula