Kodak 5300 print problems

Old July 24th 07, 10:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Kodak 5300 print problems

Ron Baird wrote:

Hi Art, I have a friend that worked in the designing of the inks and the chemistry used. Although I am not a chemist, I suspect that Kodak is working on such technology as I know they spent a considerable amount of money creating inks that can yield the results they are getting. As you know, it is quite hard to get ink to work in low picoliter distribution and stay soluble.

Canon does not seem to have a problem.

My friend shared some of this with me, but I had no idea what he was talking about. He moved on down south and the chemistry he does now is mixing a drink after playing golf. I can say, however, that those like him here at Kodak truly know their stuff. Expect great things.

It makes sense that HP, Epson and Canon know their stuff better since they have been at it 10 times longer.

Talk to you soon Art, Ron Baird Eastman Kodak Company "Arthur Entlich" wrote in message news:2Afoi.132674$xq1.42987@pd7urf1no...

Hi Ron, Your answer is not unreasonable in the light of the issues with inkjet printers, but it is disappointing that it appears no one can design a printer using pigmented inks, especially one with semi-permanent or permanent inks, which will stay unclogged. As I mentioned in another posting, the Epson Ultrachromes come closest, but they resolve this by using a high glycol formulation which gases off the glycol for weeks or months and is very slow to "dry" (the output is touch dry on output from the printer, but it isn't really). I did hope Kodak had overcome this in the head design or ink formulation. If the only solution is a test printout or similar answer, why not make it part of the printer firmware and be done with it, and be upfront about it. Art Ron Baird wrote:

Greetings Greg, I can appreciate your frustration. I am taking your experience back to the engineers I know so they are aware of your situation. They appreciate feedback like this. Actually, this condition might arise you may do not use your printer on a regular basis. Personally, it has been my experience that if you do not print often but leave the printer on when not in use, it will go through a general startup process when you boot up your computer. Generally, when you do, many do this every day, the printer will prepare itself for printing in case you want to use it. If you do not print anything, however, or let it sit idle without power, you have a greater chance of needing to clean the head. I suspect this is something that might happen to other printers as well. I know that with a couple of previous printers that I have had, i.e. an Epson R200, and other Epsons, in the past that this happened to me from time to time. The heads cleared but it cost me the expense of doing the cleaning. I know it can get expensive. Anyway, what I did was create a brief document that had all the colors and black text then saved it as a file that I keep handy. The amount of ink used is small. I make a print of it each week if I do not print some other document. If I do make this print, I then flip over the paper and print the same document on the other side to save paper. Doing this keeps my printer ready for action. If you supply power to the printer, this may not happen as often. I do not have a Kodak printer at home but I am sure this process would work as well. Talk to you soon, Greg, Ron Baird Eastman Kodak Company "the-changling" wrote in message ...

I love this printer when it works. But I do not print constantly. The printer can be turned off for maybe a month or more. But when I need it I need it. I had no problems over the years with my old Canon Bubblejet 4300. But they do not make ink anymore so I got rid of it and got the Kodak 5300. After a month off I tried printing and it was very poor text. After calling their tech support, they sent a new print head and ink. Printer was working flawlessly once again! Now after an extended time turned off it is acting like a clogged print head again. I called tech support again. They told me to keep deep cleaning until the quality was good. They did not know how many that would be. But that was the best they can do. Is this normal for this printer? I am thinking it is. Thanks in advance. --

Old July 25th 07, 03:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:

Now ask yourself how this Kodak guy will buy an Epson printer and do
public relations for Kodak. Besides he probably either gets a discount
or the ink for free.

Ask yourself these questions:
Have you ever been committed into a mental institution?
If you answer no...then you need to be immediately committed.
If you answer yes, then you need to return immediately as it is very
apparent you're very mentally ill.
Frank
Old July 25th 07, 02:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ron Baird

Hi Mease,

No Kodak employees get anything for free. Used to get some film in the past, but that has long gone. Kodak people share in their efforts and we all pay. We are a very cohesive group, and are dedictated to success. The people here are extremely hard working and do what is necessary. You have a misconception of our company. As I noted in another post, expect great things.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
"measekite" wrote in message et...

Ron Baird wrote:
Hi Greg,

I believe that the ink goes into a holding area and likely dries or is
simply collected there. Leaving your printer off and the heads parked is a
good idea and will preserve the ink as best you can over time. Infrequent
use, however, can require cleaning the head etc. and so will take some ink
for that function. Personally, I leave the Epson and a Kodak when I have it
with me, on all the time.

The truth will set you free. :-) I always the what I know and Kodak did not
offer a printer for some time. So, I bought an Epson which I like. Does a
great job on Kodak paper as well. But, when I save my pennies, I will likely
buy a Kodak as it will save me money in the long run.

Now ask yourself how this Kodak guy will buy an Epson printer and do public relations for Kodak. Besides he probably either gets a discount or the ink for free.

Glad that the issue cleared itself up. Let me know if you have any issues or
if you think I can help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Greg Cisko" wrote in message
. ..
Ron,

Thanks much for the reply. I keep the printer off when I do not
use it. That way I figured the print heads would be "parked" (and
therefore sealed) and would not dry out. So I figured it should
not matter how long it is unused. Deep cleaning did eventually
fix everything, but it sucked up on black and one color cartridge.
Where did the ink go?it has to go somewhere. Deep cleaning does
not involve printing, yet it is using some ink . The ink has to go
somewhere.

BTW, very brave of you to mention you do not have a Kodak
printer at home :-)

--

"Ron Baird" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

ups.com...

Old July 25th 07, 02:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ron Baird

Mease,

Kodak has been in the inkjet business since the early 80's selling printers and media. Diconix

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old July 25th 07, 03:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Ron Baird wrote:

Mease,

Kodak has been in the inkjet business since the early 80's selling printers and media.  Diconix

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird

Eastman Kodak Company

The first consumer inkjet (HP Deskjet 500) came out in the 90's or late 80's.  The laserjet 1 came out in the early 80's.  I think Kodak was blowing smoke.  Kodak made good film and paper and lousey cameras like the brownie that could not compete with Nikon, Canon, Miranda, Prackika, Mamimya, Bronica, Zeiss, Leica, contax, Monolta, Konica and even the American Argus C3.

Old July 26th 07, 01:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

avoid clogs head, stop the leaking, and make it last 5 times longer.

Get a laser.

loving laser....

Old July 27th 07, 08:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Ron Baird wrote:
They all copied Kodak - We started making them in 1884

More inflated PR. HP was the first to sell a commercially viable inkjet
printer known as the DeskJet 500 and it was a color inkjet. There was
no competition including Canon and Epson.

"measekite" wrote
in message t...

Ron Baird wrote:
Mease,

Kodak has been in the inkjet business since the early 80's
selling printers and media. Diconix

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

The first consumer inkjet (HP Deskjet 500) came out in the 90's or
late 80's. The laserjet 1 came out in the early 80's. I think
Kodak was blowing smoke. Kodak made good film and paper and
lousey cameras like the brownie that could not compete with Nikon,
Canon, Miranda, Prackika, Mamimya, Bronica, Zeiss, Leica, contax,
Monolta, Konica and even the American Argus C3.

"measekite"
wrote in message
. net...

Old July 27th 07, 08:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

http://www.hp.com/oeminkjet/about_TI...ilestones.html

Iit is about time the PR-BS stopped.  Read and Learn.

Greetings Greg, I can appreciate your frustration. I am taking your experience back to the engineers I know so they are aware of your situation. They appreciate feedback like this. Actually, this condition might arise you may do not use your printer on a regular basis. Personally, it has been my experience that if you do not print often but leave the printer on when not in use, it will go through a general startup process when you boot up your computer. Generally, when you do, many do this every day, the printer will prepare itself for printing in case you want to use it. If you do not print anything, however, or let it sit idle without power, you have a greater chance of needing to clean the head. I suspect this is something that might happen to other printers as well. I know that with a couple of previous printers that I have had, i.e. an Epson R200, and other Epsons, in the past that this happened to me from time to time. The heads cleared but it cost me the expense of doing the cleaning. I know it can get expensive. Anyway, what I did was create a brief document that had all the colors and black text then saved it as a file that I keep handy. The amount of ink used is small. I make a print of it each week if I do not print some other document. If I do make this print, I then flip over the paper and print the same document on the other side to save paper. Doing this keeps my printer ready for action. If you supply power to the printer, this may not happen as often. I do not have a Kodak printer at home but I am sure this process would work as well. Talk to you soon, Greg, Ron Baird Eastman Kodak Company "the-changling" > wrote in message ups.com...

Old July 27th 07, 08:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

From about.com

In 1976, the inkjet printer was invented, but it took until 1988 for the inkjet to become a home consumer item with Hewlett-Parkard's release of the DeskJet inkjet printer, priced at a whopping $1000.