Whistling Sound, but infrequent

Old October 10th 07, 02:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gary

Default Whistling Sound, but infrequent

I have Windows XP SP2 all appropriate MS Updates Applied.

I have a WD 40GB drive on the native mobo controller.
I have a WD 80 GB on the Promise TX2 controller.
I have a new SEAGATE 316081 160GB on the Promise TX2 Controller.

NOTE: The native controller has a max speed of 66MB, that's why the Promise
Controller is used.

The Seagate 160GB replaced a WD 160GB when that drive made clicking sounds
and died. I bought the Seagate because of a nice sale. Now, I am getting an
occasional whistling sound that reminds me of those fireworks rockets. It
sounds like a drive spinning down. When it happens, either system continues
working or the system becomes sluggish and eventually stops working. I guess
it could be one of the WD drives but I never heard that sound from either of
them. Also, this happnes only infrequently. Maybe a couple times a week.

Any thoughts?

Old October 10th 07, 03:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Oct 10, 2:13 pm, "Gary" wrote:
[...]

Fans can often make sounds like this - if the processor fan stops, the
system may possibly shut down to prevent overheating.

Try and track down the exact source of the noise.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com

Old October 10th 07, 07:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Gary wrote:
[...]

You've gotta work out where the sound is coming from. It can be a fan as well as a drive.

Old October 11th 07, 06:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andy

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:13:28 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

[...]

If a drive is spinning down, I would check its power connection. Make
sure it's mechanically/electrically sound.

Old October 14th 07, 05:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gary

"Andy" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:13:28 GMT, "Gary"

If a drive is spinning down, I would check its power connection. Make
sure it's mechanically/electrically sound.

All the fans are ok. I think the Segate may be spinning down. I have been a
WD drive user for years so I am not familiar with Seagates. Is there some
reason it will spin down as part of its firmware protection due to heat or
other conditions?

Old October 14th 07, 07:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Gary wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:13:28 GMT, "Gary"

If a drive is spinning down, I would check its power connection. Make
sure it's mechanically/electrically sound.

All the fans are ok. I think the Segate may be spinning down. I have
been a WD drive user for years so I am not familiar with Seagates.
Is there some reason it will spin down as part of its firmware
protection due to heat or other conditions?

Nope.

Printer recommendation for infrequent user McBarker Printers 17 December 9th 05 06:17 PM
my hansol is whistling.... Chris van Bladel General 0 June 21st 05 07:16 AM
Need color printer for infrequent use WD Printers 3 February 18th 04 08:48 AM
whistling monitor paul bennett General 7 November 29th 03 03:39 PM
"whistling" condenser on SHUTTLE SB61G2 (FB61) kony General 1 August 25th 03 03:39 PM