ata133 120GB disk on dim 8200

Old November 15th 03, 08:52 AM
Perra

Default ata133 120GB disk on dim 8200

i tryed to install a maxtor 120GB ata133 on my dimension 8200 ....latest
bios .....just locking up in bios......went out buing a ata133 controller
card......and disk shows up in system,,,,but not in" MY COMPUTER"........in
system it is showed up and detecting as a scsi type of disk .....any
help`

Pelle

Old November 15th 03, 09:58 AM
S.Lewis

"Perra" wrote in message
i tryed to install a maxtor 120GB ata133 on my dimension 8200 ....latest
bios .....just locking up in bios......went out buing a ata133 controller
card......and disk shows up in system,,,,but not in" MY

COMPUTER"........in
system it is showed up and detecting as a scsi type of disk .....any
help`

Pelle

If it's not detected in Windows but is on the controller card BIOS, then the
disk likely just needs to be partitioned.

If you're running Win2K, it would not be unusual for it to be identified as
a SCSI device in device manager.

hth

Stew

Old November 15th 03, 11:35 AM
Perra

"S.Lewis" skrev i meddelandet
news

"Perra" wrote in message
i tryed to install a maxtor 120GB ata133 on my dimension 8200 ....latest
bios .....just locking up in bios......went out buing a ata133

controller
card......and disk shows up in system,,,,but not in" MY

COMPUTER"........in
system it is showed up and detecting as a scsi type of disk .....any
help`

Pelle

If it's not detected in Windows but is on the controller card BIOS, then

the
disk likely just needs to be partitioned.

If you're running Win2K, it would not be unusual for it to be identified

as
a SCSI device in device manager.

hth

Stew

Ok running XP-pro how do i do to make a partition on it ?

Pelle

Old November 15th 03, 12:47 PM
Edward J. Neth

Open the disc administrator (in the control panel under computer
management).

Old November 15th 03, 03:27 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
news |
| "Perra" wrote in message
|
|but not in" MY
| COMPUTER"........in
| system it is showed up and detecting as a scsi type of disk .....any
| help`
|

| Pelle
|

| If it's not detected in Windows but is on the controller card BIOS, then
the
| disk likely just needs to be partitioned.
|
| If you're running Win2K, it would not be unusual for it to be identified
as
| a SCSI device in device manager.
|
| hth
|
| Stew

Additionally I guess it is not unusual for disks on a separate controller
card to be listed as scsi. I have a Gateway that came with a Promise Ultra
card and it shows as scsi in device manager. "That's normal" was the
response I got when researching why.

FWIW I put a Maxtor 120 in my D8200 and once set up (partitioned and
formatted) through disk management it works fine. (using onboard controllers
not a card)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old November 15th 03, 06:48 PM
Perra

"HillBillyBuddhist" skrev i
meddelandet ...
"S.Lewis" wrote in message
news |
| "Perra" wrote in message
|
|but not in" MY
| COMPUTER"........in
| system it is showed up and detecting as a scsi type of disk

......any
| help`
|

| Pelle
|

| If it's not detected in Windows but is on the controller card BIOS, then
the
| disk likely just needs to be partitioned.
|
| If you're running Win2K, it would not be unusual for it to be identified
as
| a SCSI device in device manager.
|
| hth
|
| Stew

Additionally I guess it is not unusual for disks on a separate controller
card to be listed as scsi. I have a Gateway that came with a Promise Ultra
card and it shows as scsi in device manager. "That's normal" was the
response I got when researching why.

FWIW I put a Maxtor 120 in my D8200 and once set up (partitioned and
formatted) through disk management it works fine. (using onboard

controllers
not a card)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

In mine its not even goes throu bios....just freezes

Old November 15th 03, 10:12 PM
PC Gladiator

It should be showing up in your BIOS without using a controller card.

How is the drive configured? (master/slave/cable select).
Are you using an 40 pin. 80 wire data cable?
Is the controller enabled in the BIOS?
Is anything else on the same controller? What is it? How is it configured?

If possible try running the Maxtor provided diagnostics on the hard drive.
You might have snagged a bum drive.

"Perra" wrote in message

"HillBillyBuddhist" skrev i
meddelandet ...