Goodbye Dell. Hello (recommendations?)

Old November 12th 03, 06:04 AM
Giganews

Default Goodbye Dell. Hello (recommendations?)

True, the original mb could have failed also, but that scenario has an
Inspiron screen and motherboard failing within three years. Doesn't say
much for their machines, unless this is typical?

And true again that Dell replacements are hardly the fresh parts Dell
implies.

Any recommendations for other brand?

"PC Gladiator" wrote in message
The day after the warranty expires you're on your own. How do you know

the
other motherboard wouldn't have croaked two days after the warranty

expired?
You're only protection is to purchase the extended warranty plan.

And as we all know, there ain't no such thing as a "NEW" replacement part!

"Giganews" wrote in message
How about this one:

After purchasing two Inspiron laptops from Dell, I had a problem with

the
screen on one this April, just months before warranty expired. The Dell
serviceman showed up promptly and said the screen was failing, and

ordered
new one from Dell. The box Dell shipped to him contained a motherboard
instead of a screen, so he installed it just to see if by some chance it
would remedy the screen problem, which it didn't. He then reordered the
screen and when it finally arrived he installed it, leaving the "new" mb

in
place and saying that after all my problems and waiting, I would now

have
"a
whole new machine." (He reported that the mb was part of the remedy

rather
than go through process of returning it. I don't want to give his name
because he thought he was doing a nice thing). Six months later the fun
begins...

The "new" mb failed, and the machine's warranty expired in the meantime.
Now Dell informs me it can only replace the mb for the "out of warranty"
cost of about $1000 (mb +labor). I've argued my case repeatedly that

the
mb
that failed was an unnecessary replacement and obviously weak or faulty
(isn't either a valid argument?), but no acknowledgement of this or any

hint
of any resolution whatsoever.

But I have had the pleasure in the month since the thing died, of having

rent another and repeated responses from Dell support with "apologies

for
inconvenience" and repeatedly providing terms and cost of

out-of-warranty
replacement. Senders of that incessant message included Branden /

DTC22261,
Syed / DTC24129, Kevin / DTC22203, Paul / DTO0325671, and others before

started keeping track. Probably at least 10 in all. The last message I
said I'd complain publicly if they didn't elevate the issue to a

supervisor,
to which the reply was, "Apologies for........ but I can't help you on

this
matter." Actually followed by "Have a great day!"

So I'm left holding a dead machine that would not be dead if Dell had

sent
the right part months ago, or if the "new" mb hadn't been faulty,

renting
another, and needing to purchase one.

Any non-DELL laptop recommendations?

And any Dell lurkers out there, feel free to confirm my claims here, of
course including " the following line in all replies. Tracking number:
AT20030222_0000005327"

Apologies in advance, but I am going to repost this periodically until I
either get some satisfaction from Dell, or until I've done my duty as a
consumer.

Signed,
One ****ed-off and ex Dell customer.

Old November 12th 03, 06:34 AM
PC Gladiator

What is your price range and requirements? A lot of transporting?

I've always used IBMs at work and they were pretty sturdy and reliable. Of
course, that wasn't on my dime...

Old November 12th 03, 10:23 AM
Carol

"Giganews" wrote in message
How about this one:

After purchasing two Inspiron laptops from Dell, I had a problem with the
screen on one this April, just months before warranty expired. The Dell
serviceman showed up promptly and said the screen was failing, and ordered

new one from Dell. (rest of message removed)

I learned the hard way NOT to have on site service. It came free with my
first Dell laptop and it was a disaster. The computer developed a small
problem but it was still useable. Five techs and 4 weeks later and with
every part replaced the computer didn't work at all. The reason for the
problem? These were not Dell techs, actually they were IBM techs that Dell
had subcontracted and they had no idea what they were doing and broke parts
along the way. It was horrible to watch. Any computer problems now and the
machine gets shipped back to Dell.

I agree with you that Dell should replace the mb because they put in the
faulty one. That said, if the computer is 3 years old then it's time to
move on anyway and get a new one. If you didn't get an extended warranty
and the computer is only a year old then lesson learned, next time, with any
computer company, get the extended warranty. I have had a problem with all
my Dells after they are about 1 1/2 years old. Another lesson you learned
is that if it ain't broke don't fix it. You should not have let the tech
replace something that was probably working properly. The tech didn't want
to go through the trouble of sending back the wrong part and that's why
he/she installed it in your machine. Dell sends refurbished parts for
replacing, you weren't getting a new part.

I can't recommend another computer because it's not the computer that's the
problem, it's the customer service. The real question you should be asking
is not which company makes the better computer but which company has the
better customer service. I think all of us Dell owners are eager to know
the answer to that question.

Carol

Old November 12th 03, 12:34 PM
peter pilsl

Giganews wrote:

Apologies in advance, but I am going to repost this periodically until I
either get some satisfaction from Dell, or until I've done my duty as a
consumer.

Thats the spirit Annoy everone cause you have been annoyed. This makes
life so enjoyable on this planet Hope that more people here will follow
your spirit to make this group(s) really satisfying for people that
actually seeks help. (what has symantec-support to do with your problem).

to get to your topic:

I fully understand that you are ****ed of by Dell but I can asure you that
the same thing can happen with all other companies in the budget-segment.

My Dell Inspiron is running for almost three years now and I really use him
rough and uproad and I'm fine with it. Good luck. Friend of mine has a Sony
and display broke and he could tell a story similar to yours. Bad luck.

So I think you have three choices:

i) buy a real budget-laptop (i.e. gericom) and be sure to get a piece of
**** and be annoyed from the first day. Bad, but has nothing to do with
luck : it will suck for sure
ii) stay in the price-range of your inspiron and buy a dell, an acer, a
whatever and take the risk of beeing annoyed. I think these are all good
and equal products and you wont need much luck to be fine with them.
iii) pay double of your inspiron to buy a good ibm/hp/whatever with good
warranty and hope of no annoyance. Good luck anyway

best
peter

fup2 comp.sys.laptop set

--
peter pilsl

http://www.goldfisch.at

Old November 12th 03, 05:23 PM
RFox

"Carol" wrote in message hlink.net...
I can't recommend another computer because it's not the computer that's the
problem, it's the customer service. The real question you should be asking
is not which company makes the better computer but which company has the
better customer service. I think all of us Dell owners are eager to know
the answer to that question.

True, the only reasons to buy a brand named personal computer anymore
is 1) convenience, and 2) service.

The sad news is that while Dell used to be praised as having the best
customer service, they have since gone downhill with incompetent
service reps handling a customer pool that has become too large to
handle.

The depressing news is that as bad as Dell's customer service has
become, most if not all other OEM's service is worse.

As for an alternate brand, I'd second the IBM thinkpads as being
pretty sturdy if you can afford the price for them.
Unlike desktops though, many of the OEM laptops all come from
the same small pool of laptop manufacturers, so there probably
won't be too much of a difference in build quality.
Sony's Vaio are their own product and they look sharp, but I've
never used one, so I can't comment on it's durability and service.
Old November 13th 03, 12:14 AM
BillW

IBM I series was the bottom line ThinkPad. I have one I have had for 2 1/2
years with no problems. It gets used as a GPS in the car when traveling and
as a portable with RF connection to the internet at home. However if you are
going to rely on a laptop for business then the bottom line cheapie is not
the way to go. If you are relying on it for business a warranty or service
contract is needed throughout the life of the product. Jamming of the cover
interlock switch causing sleep mode has always been a problem on all brands
of laptops. Any service rep with the right information supplied will
recognize that. The problem with phone diagnoses is you only have the
information the home expert wants to give you.

"Claire" wrote in message
Check carefully into IBM before you buy a laptop. I had an IBM I series
laptop - home user - 1 year warranty and no chance to buy extended (that

was
offered to business users). Six months into warranty, cmos battery had to
be replaced but that was warranty service so no big deal. At 18 months

the
computer went into sleep mode - called IBM - "may be a motherboard - cost
about $800 - take to authorized service". I did - $50 later to tell me

they
had called IBM and it "may be a motherboard - replace computer".

I bought a Dell Inspirion with a 3 year warranty. Have only had one
warranty claim in 18 months and have another 18 months of warranty.

I since have heard that there is a switch in the IBM that fails - puts
machine into sleep mode until it is repaired (or in the case I heard of

just
plain removed). No replacement motherboard needed for that.

So just beware - both companies seem to be working the same way.

Claire

"Ann Meffert" wrote in message
Does this sound familiar?
No good deed goes unpunished.
There is no free lunch.
Maybe not.
Sounds like your technician thought he was doing you a favor, but he
couldn't forecast a motherboard failure, could he? I presume the
motherboard replacement warranty was 30 days or so? And, that the
overall warranty of the machine would supercede the warranty of the
replaced motherboard. Just theorizing. Anyway, sounds like you might as
well go ahead and buy a new laptop rather than throwing good money after
bad. I don't think Dell will replace the motherboard, nor do I think
that any other manufacturer would. With such low computer prices,
companies don't give the great service and free replacements that they
used to. I think that IBM still makes the best laptop, but you pay more
for them. You'll need to weigh how long you will use the laptop or want
to use it versus how long of a warranty that you want to purchase. I'm a
three-year person, but others will argue against this. Good luck with
your purchase.

"Giganews" wrote in message
How about this one:

After purchasing two Inspiron laptops from Dell, I had a problem with
the
screen on one this April, just months before warranty expired. The Dell
serviceman showed up promptly and said the screen was failing, and
ordered a
[...]

---

Old November 13th 03, 04:28 PM
D C

Apologies in advance, but I am going to repost this periodically until I
either get some satisfaction from Dell, or until I've done my duty as a
consumer.

Ignore the Dell elves. Post your shabby treatment by Dell as often as
you wish.

A laptop should have a useful life of more then three years (I have
one I still have use for that is nearing six years). Dell actions, by
its authorized agents, has obviously done you damage.

I know the feeling, the absolute worst part, is the helplessness of
the individual against a mega corporation.

Why shouldn't they treat you badly? So what if they lose your
business, it won't hurt their bottom line. Although they became what
they are because their service stood out, now they can do as they
wish.

Except that you, and I, and others, can come here and elsewhere. We
have some power too. Just maybe someone reading about how Dell treats
its customers will decide to go with another manufacturer.

Treating you badly is then not cost free to Dell. Maybe they will lose
a few sales. Maybe more then a few. Maybe the word will spread. Maybe
their reputation will get the ratings it now actually deserves.

And ignore the sycophant Dell elves.

Could there be anything more pathetic then people who so love their
inanimate computers that they treat its manufacturer with such love
and devotion. They are ready to pounce on the first person who does
not worship at Dell's altar. They will call you names and belittle
your justified anger. Not the consumer, but Dell always get their
presumption of infallibility. They hate you for profaning their idols.
Pity them.

Old November 13th 03, 04:43 PM
Jupiter Jones

Among other things you complain about people calling others names
while you do it multiple times in your own rant.
I guess it is OK for you but not for others.
I wonder what they call that...

--
Jupiter Jones
Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

s.com...

Old November 14th 03, 01:03 AM
S.Lewis

"Jupiter Jones" wrote in message
newswOsb.44450$jy.25467@clgrps13...
Among other things you complain about people calling others names
while you do it multiple times in your own rant.
I guess it is OK for you but not for others.
I wonder what they call that...

--
Jupiter Jones
Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
http://dts-l.org/index.html

snip

Irony? Contradictory? Hypocrisy?