Memory upgrade on Asus Maximus III Formula

Old June 15th 13, 12:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Edward[_7_]

Default Memory upgrade on Asus Maximus III Formula

I bought 2 4-gig modules of Kingston KVR1066D3n7/4G to go in my Asus
Maximus III Formula motherboard. The memory is on the QVL list and is
approved to fill all 4 banks.

I tried to add it to the memory already in my computer, more Kingston,
and the computer would not post. I removed the old memory and put in
the new memory, and it still would not post. I did get to the bios and
noticed when I added one stick of the new memory to the existing memory,
the system showed less memory, as if adding the new memory knocked out
one of the existing memory modules, and did not show the new memory at all.

One thing that is very obvious is the appearance of the memory. Both old
and new are DDR3, 240 pin, but the new memory is about 1/2 the height.

Any help?
Old June 15th 13, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Edward wrote:
I bought 2 4-gig modules of Kingston KVR1066D3n7/4G to go in my Asus
Maximus III Formula motherboard. The memory is on the QVL list and is
approved to fill all 4 banks.

I tried to add it to the memory already in my computer, more Kingston,
and the computer would not post. I removed the old memory and put in
the new memory, and it still would not post. I did get to the bios and
noticed when I added one stick of the new memory to the existing memory,
the system showed less memory, as if adding the new memory knocked out
one of the existing memory modules, and did not show the new memory at all.

One thing that is very obvious is the appearance of the memory. Both old
and new are DDR3, 240 pin, but the new memory is about 1/2 the height.

Any help?

Seeing half the memory, suggests the "one module installation case"
was knocking out one channel of your dual channels. Like
maybe shorting it out or something.

The memory looks pretty ordinary. It's a UDIMM, unbuffered non-ECC.
The half-height is possible, as Kingston uses FBGA (fine pitch ball
grid array) packaged memory chips that aren't as tall as TSOP packaged
parts. That's what makes it possible. The retention slots on the
side of the module, appear at the regular height offset.

I would verify the module is "bottomed out" properly. When the RAM
is installed, not only should you hear a "click" when the tabs close
on the ends. But, using a flashlight, you should also see the gold
plating on the module contacts, disappear below the baseline of the
socket. That indicates you've fully seated it. If you're seeing
the glint of a lot of gold, above the socket, then it is not
completely inserted.

The Kingston I bought (low profile, two sets), required enough
insertion pressure, to hurt my fingers. This is caused by the
"blunt beveling" on the edge of the module. The PCB is perhaps
a bit thicker than a regular module (so the module won't bend
and break the BGA solder joints). And it's a bit more difficult
to bevel the leading edge and make it easy to insert. That's
all I can think of, as for why it hurts to insert it. That's
the part I hate. Regular height modules are easier to insert.

That's about all I can think of. Kingston is usually pretty
well tested, so you would not expect a shorted module bypass
capacitor taking out the VDIMM rail or anything. On some
brands (generics), sometimes you insert the module and
it actually ruins your motherboard electrically. While nobody
is perfect, I trust Kingston a fair amount. The only thing
I've seen Kingston foul up, is not adhering to their datasheet
on one occasion (high density versus low density chips). Kingston
makes datasheets for modules like this, and I "hold their toes
to the fire", in terms of delivering *exactly* what this
shows. You don't ship 8 chip modules, when this datasheet
shows 16 chips in the engineering drawing...

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR1066D3N7_4G.pdf

And in this case, we see the eng. drawing is for a regular
profile module, while you've got a low profile one in your hand.
It shows 16 chips, but the silhouette in the drawing, is of
a TSOP chip. This makes no difference to electrical operation
at all. A TSOP and an FBGA do the same thing electrically
("remember things") :-)

Try seating them again.

While your motherboard likely has some wild VDIMM
adjustments possible, it probably isn't that causing
a problem.

Paul
Old June 16th 13, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Edward[_7_]

On 6/15/2013 4:26 PM, Paul wrote:
Edward wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. That did it. I tried one more time and I guess I did get
them seated properly this time. And yes, I did have to press really hard.