Problems playing some games with 8800 GTX

Old December 4th 06, 07:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Neil Catling

Default Problems playing some games with 8800 GTX

Hi all

I need some help, I have just built a new gaming Pc,(Spec Below)

I can run Call of duty 2 with everything turn on and run 3dmark06 and I
score just under 10000, but I can't play splintercell double agent, either
it will not load or it does but things are missing,I.e Peoples bodies are
missing but the heads aren't and the game is all distorted it is also the
same on Half life 2 & Episode 1, now I have spoken to Ubisoft about this and
they said that it is because the 8800 GTX is new and game has not been
tested with it and I need to wait for a new patch, apparently the game will
only play on cards up to 7900 and not the 8800 series,is this true?.

I have ran stress tests and the pc have passed them all.

Is anyone else having problems playing games with this graphic card?

Pc Spec

Asus Crosshair motherboard
AM2 5200 x2 2.6Ghz Cpu
Corsair Pc6400 800Mhz Dominator 4-4-4-12 DDR2
XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
Tagan 580 watt Psu

Any help would be great
Thanks
Neil

Old December 5th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

Early drivers for new generations of video cards ALWAYS suffer these
compatibility problems. That's part of the joy of being an early adopter.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old December 5th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

1. The Asus Crosshair mobo is pretty new, so make sure you have the latest
BIOS and nForce drivers for it. It goes without saying you should be using
the latest nVidia driver for the 8800 as well.
2. This is a new build, so you have fresh installs of the games, right, and
not off a previous Ghost image or anything? Sometimes games need to be
reinstalled to properly detect hardware changes. This also means you
shouldn't blindly copy over saved config files from previous game installs.
3. If nothing works, either wait for a game patch, or (more likely) an
updated nVidia driver for the 8800.

Old December 5th 06, 04:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Oh, and one more thing. Make sure the two power connectors on your card are
connected to different rails on the PSU. Usually all the 6-pin PCIe
connectors from the PSU reside on the same rail, so you may have to bring
over a lead from the disk drives and connect it to the video card using a
4-to-6-pin adapter.

Old December 8th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:44:03 -0000, "Neil Catling"
wrote:

Hi all

I need some help, I have just built a new gaming Pc,(Spec Below)

I can run Call of duty 2 with everything turn on and run 3dmark06 and I
score just under 10000, but I can't play splintercell double agent, either
it will not load or it does but things are missing,I.e Peoples bodies are
missing but the heads aren't and the game is all distorted it is also the
same on Half life 2 & Episode 1, now I have spoken to Ubisoft about this and
they said that it is because the 8800 GTX is new and game has not been
tested with it and I need to wait for a new patch, apparently the game will
only play on cards up to 7900 and not the 8800 series,is this true?.

Very true. SCA was shipped with many hardware-sensitive bugs. No
doubt mandated by Ubisoft to beat the Xmas rush.

See:-

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2884

where it is very obvious that Ubisoft needs to shoulder most of the
blame.

And the 8800 is a complete architectural break from the previous-gen
GPUs, so the XP/DX9.x drivers will need a few months to mature with
the help of the "early-adopters" like you (er, beta-driver testers),
then will have to repeat the performance all over again for the
Dx10/Vista drivers. History repeating itself for the umpteenth time.
ATi's drivers also took months to mature when they shifted
architectures, like the recent shift to unified shaders.

John Lewis

Old December 9th 06, 08:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

Oh goody .. guess that settles it ... I'm staying with my 7900gto
for another year or two. Gothic 3 is really maxing out my
7900, but it runs OK. I was hoping the 8800 would be the
answer to future games coming along, and even give a little
overhead, so I could totally max Crysis and Gothic 3.
My recent experience with nVidia drivers is it seems nVidia
no longer can write a driver. Worse, Coolbits will not run
with the new drivers, so you can't fix the stupidity. I have
stayed with the 8x drivers and they work fine in every game.
The 9x drivers won't even set decent 16:10 resolutions
on my monitor ... only 4:3. That is ridiculous. So, I have
no doubt that your 8800 is running on crap drivers, and
you'll just have to wait it out ... hoping that nVidia will
give a damn ... or go begging for a coolbits update.

johns

Old December 9th 06, 08:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

Something else .. Try Gothic 3. In my opinion, it is one
of the best games ever ... and if your 8800 runs it maxed,
then you've got one heck of a nice card. The G3 dvd
installer will totally update directx, which may be the
problem you are seeing anyway.

johns