Small tower power supply problem

Old August 18th 05, 11:22 PM
Paul_B

Default Small tower power supply problem

I've got an eMachine small tower that I'm quite happy with. But
using two video cards put me over its 300W power supply's
capability. I ordered a nice 520W ATX PS unit, only to find when
it came that it was huge and would only fit by being shoehorned
into the case, almost touching the disk drives and processor.
That doesn't sound like a good idea.

I don't know why the size isn't listed at the online dealer;
would have saved me aggravation. But in any case, is there any
decent way to fit this thing in the case? I could even mount it
atop the case, but the harness would have to be drilled through
the case side or top, and that could get ugly quickly.

What a mess.

p.

Old August 19th 05, 04:38 AM
David Maynard

Paul_B wrote:

I've got an eMachine small tower that I'm quite happy with. But
using two video cards put me over its 300W power supply's
capability. I ordered a nice 520W ATX PS unit, only to find when
it came that it was huge and would only fit by being shoehorned
into the case, almost touching the disk drives and processor.
That doesn't sound like a good idea.

I don't know why the size isn't listed at the online dealer;
would have saved me aggravation.

The dealer provided sufficient information. It's an ATX power supply but,
the problem is, your case isn't an ATX case. It's likely a micro or flex
ATX case.

But in any case, is there any
decent way to fit this thing in the case? I could even mount it
atop the case, but the harness would have to be drilled through
the case side or top, and that could get ugly quickly.

I'm afraid there is no 'magic' solution to the obvious physical problem
you're looking at.

What a mess.

p.

Old August 19th 05, 12:21 PM
Paul_B

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:38:04 -0500, David Maynard wrote:

I don't know why the size isn't listed at the online dealer;
would have saved me aggravation.

The dealer provided sufficient information. It's an ATX power supply but,
the problem is, your case isn't an ATX case. It's likely a micro or flex
ATX case.

What threw me was the old PSU is labeled ATX.
Old August 19th 05, 08:18 PM
aleX

Paul_B wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:38:04 -0500, David Maynard wrote:

I don't know why the size isn't listed at the online dealer;
would have saved me aggravation.

The dealer provided sufficient information. It's an ATX power supply but,
the problem is, your case isn't an ATX case. It's likely a micro or flex
ATX case.

What threw me was the old PSU is labeled ATX.

I've done the same, all power supplies I could find locally were too big
for my old Gateway2000 case.

I'd get a new case if I were you, unless you want the bother of
returning the PS and sourcing a small one - I think they can be found on
the internet. Cases are cheap compared to other parts, £30 should get a
good one, plus you want plenty space in there for heat dissipation.