F1A75-V Pro: 8x SAS/SATA card in 16x video slot?

Old May 28th 13, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Percival P. Cassidy

Default F1A75-V Pro: 8x SAS/SATA card in 16x video slot?

I've read that some motherboards' 16x slots support *only* video cards.
Is that true of the F1A75-v Pro? I've run out of SATA ports and am
wondering whether I can use an 8x SAS/SATA card in the 2nd 16x PCI slot.

Perce
Old May 28th 13, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I've read that some motherboards' 16x slots support *only* video cards.
Is that true of the F1A75-v Pro? I've run out of SATA ports and am
wondering whether I can use an 8x SAS/SATA card in the 2nd 16x PCI slot.

Perce

I've seen various claims, that make no sense.

The best thing to do, is track down reviews or articles, where
another customer has tried a non-video card in the slot.

On one system, initially the system would not work with non-video
cards in the x16 slot. (Card not detected?) That system was fixed
with a BIOS update.

I've seen a second claim, for some Intel chipset motherboard,
that the x16 slot runs x8 rate for non-video cards. Makes
no sense. How would turning off half the lanes help ?

The situation should be as transparent as PCI was.

So all I can suggest, is find proof somewhere. vip.asus.com, newegg reviews,
amazon reviews, enthusiast site reviews, and so on. See if someone
stuck a RAID card in there.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

Paul
Old May 30th 13, 09:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
tumppiw

On 28.5.2013 22:07, Paul wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

I have a F1A75-M pro. I don't know how they differ, size?

My GFX-card (an Asus HD5670) blocks the x1 PCI-e slot, I had to put my
"el cheapo" 2-port USB3 card in the other x16 slot and it works. (My
case hasn't got USB3 ports to use the onboard connection, and the card
was originally in my previus mobo, which lacked USB3)

Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland
Translation to/from FI/SWE not always accurate
Old August 2nd 13, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Percival P. Cassidy

On 05/28/13 11:28 am, I wrote:

I've read that some motherboards' 16x slots support *only* video cards.
Is that true of the F1A75-v Pro? I've run out of SATA ports and am
wondering whether I can use an 8x SAS/SATA card in the 2nd 16x PCI slot.

I bought the card (an IBM Serveraid M1015, flashed to LSI IT mode), and
it does work in the 1st 16x PCIe slot -- I forgot that I was using the
on-board video, so both 16x slots were free. I didn't try it in the 2nd
16x slot.

Perce

PCI Express 16x video card in 1x slot? Al Franz Ati Videocards 2 January 20th 06 07:08 PM
which A7V133 [rev 1.05. (with dot)] slot for PCI video card? - please help Adam Asus Motherboards 11 October 1st 05 11:46 AM
An ATI video card can damage a pci card in the slot just below? PineNut Homebuilt PC's 8 February 7th 05 06:40 AM
Video Card Slot Jummpy Homebuilt PC's 2 May 30th 04 10:41 PM
AGP slot and video card voltages Hackworth Homebuilt PC's 3 February 8th 04 05:01 PM