Win8 - CPU reqs - PAE/NX/SSE2

Old November 13th 12, 11:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ps56k[_3_]

Default Win8 - CPU reqs - PAE/NX/SSE2

Well it looks like Win8 requires some additional CPU features and
instruction set commands....
Wonder what vintage or versions of the CPUs where these features were first
included ?
Wanted to try an old Dell C610 laptop, but it failed these CPU tests.

---

PAE - NX - SSE2 -

Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX processor bit (NX), and Streaming SIMD
Extensions 2 (SSE2) refer to features of the processor. PAE enables 32-bit
processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions
of Windows and is a prerequisite for NX. NX allows the processor to help
guard the PC from attacks by malicious software. SSE2 (a standard on
processors for a long time) is an instruction set that is increasingly used
by third-party apps and drivers. For Windows 8, for your malware defense
features to work reliably we require that your processor support NX. To
enhance the reliability of third-party apps and drivers running in Windows
8, SSE2 is also required. If your PC doesn't support PAE, NX, and SSE2 you
won’t be able to install Windows 8.

Old November 14th 12, 07:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:14:11 PM UTC-5, ps56k wrote:
[...]

With its Pemtium 3, the C610 is way too old for Windows 8, and maybe even Windows 7. The mobile Pentium 4 in the C640 might be able to work with Windows 8, but the C640 is limited to 2GB of memory.

I don't think I would consider Windows 7 or Windows 8 for anything older than a system with a dual core CPU. A desktop system or an Inspiron 5160 with a hyperthreaded Socket 478 CPU might handle Windows 8.

For me, real question remains whether or not I want to handle Windows 8. ;)

.... Ben Myers
Old February 26th 13, 01:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pete[_10_]

On 11/14/2012 2:42 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

I have a Pentium 4 32bit 4gb running MS 7 very well and quick.
-Pete