USB Flash Drives

Old February 15th 04, 02:24 PM
HistoryFan

Default USB Flash Drives

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home SP1. Four months ago, I
bought a 128MB USB Flash Drive, made by Fuji, operating at the 2.0 speed. I
routinely plug it into one of the two USB ports in the front of my 2400.

It's a nice, convenient device, but I'd say 25-30% of the time, XP
does not recognize the drive when it is inserted into the USB port. I know
this because the computer does not make a beeping sound, and there is no USB
icon in the system tray. I can also verify this by going to My Computer.
When this happens, I need to reboot the computer and try again. Then it
usually works. I have another computer running Millennium Edition (ME) and
it always recognizes the flash drive.

I called Fuji, and the tech I chatted with said other people had also
complained about this. His best guess is that it is a glitch with XP and
Fuji's hardware. I was told that perhaps the upcoming Service Pack 2 for
Windows XP might correct this issue. But he wasn't sure.

I know many people have these USB Flash drive nowadays. Just curious
if this glitch happens to others?

Old February 15th 04, 02:58 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

"HistoryFan" wrote in message
| I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home SP1. Four months ago,
| bought a 128MB USB Flash Drive, made by Fuji, operating at the 2.0 speed.
| routinely plug it into one of the two USB ports in the front of my 2400.

| I know many people have these USB Flash drive nowadays. Just
curious
| if this glitch happens to others?

I have two. One Dell badged and one PNY "Attaché."

Both work every time in both desktop and laptop.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old February 15th 04, 03:39 PM
WSZsr

I had a Lexar 256MB flash drive that was not recognized if I plugged it in
in the front USB port. It was properly recognized in the rear USB Port.

Old February 15th 04, 04:20 PM
HistoryFan

Before I abandon this topic, is there anyone out there who is using a
Fuji USB Flash Drive and Windows XP? If so, have you encountered any of the
problems I did?

Old February 15th 04, 05:31 PM
Name withheld by request

Can't help you on the Fuji's.....I have to Sansdisk jump drives.
One 256, one 128.....both USB 2.0, I use in my Dell 5100 laptop,
and my home computer. Both work ok. Perhaps it's a glitch in the
Fuji drive.......

Old February 15th 04, 05:48 PM
Pat Conover

The USB port your using may not have enough power for the Flash Drive. I
tried to plug a sandisk card reader into a front USB port on an D8200 and XP
instantly told me not enough power and then gave me a list of the USP ports
that did have enough power to support the drive. HTH

Pat Conover
Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.

Old February 16th 04, 06:45 AM
Robert

Sounds typical.
I know a lady that bought a USB flash drive. Will only work on 2 of the 8
ports of her 2400.
My USB flash drive & USB hard drive works on all 8 ports.
XP & SP1.