Maximus Formula III new install No Drives Detected

Old November 3rd 09, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Edward[_5_]

Default Maximus Formula III new install No Drives Detected

I just put together a new system with the Maximus III, Intel I5
processor. I have two SATA drives connected. When I booted for the
first time, it said No Drives Connected, but when I went into the
BIOS, it showed both SATA drives. I exited the BIOS and the Windows
screen showed for half a second, then began continuously rebooting.

I have a new Antec 650 power supply, so power should not be a problem.

Any help as to what the problem might be?
Old November 4th 09, 04:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Edward wrote:
I just put together a new system with the Maximus III, Intel I5
processor. I have two SATA drives connected. When I booted for the
first time, it said No Drives Connected, but when I went into the
BIOS, it showed both SATA drives. I exited the BIOS and the Windows
screen showed for half a second, then began continuously rebooting.

I have a new Antec 650 power supply, so power should not be a problem.

Any help as to what the problem might be?

Try booting with your Windows installer CD first. Does that work ?

If you're moving a Windows drive from some other computer, one reason
that might not boot, is because there is no driver for accessing
the disk drive itself. Sometimes, it requires a Repair Install,
and pressing F6 to install a particular driver.

P55 JMB363 JMB363
| | | | |
6 SATA SATA SATA ESATA |
ODD1 ODD2 |
(Enhanced, JMB322
SATA as IDE | |
SPD SPD
or HDD1 HDD2

Compatible, \__________________________/
SATA as IDE) |
Needs a F6 driver to boot

I would try the SATA hard drives on the P55 ports first. Use
Enhanced or Compatible. But be prepared for the drive
to be messed up. You should really start with a spare
disk on a new system. Make an exact copy of the original disk.
If the copy gets messed up, then you haven't lost anything.
For example, if you were using WinXP, I expect the
Activation would be most unhappy to find entirely
different hardware. This is why a repair install
would be a potential solution. During the repair install,
you can press F6 and install a driver if needed. For example,
P55 AHCI or RAID mode would need a driver, as would usage
of the JMB devices for a hard drive.

Paul
Old November 4th 09, 05:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Paul wrote:
Edward wrote:
I just put together a new system with the Maximus III, Intel I5
processor. I have two SATA drives connected. When I booted for the
first time, it said No Drives Connected, but when I went into the
BIOS, it showed both SATA drives. I exited the BIOS and the Windows
screen showed for half a second, then began continuously rebooting.

I have a new Antec 650 power supply, so power should not be a problem.

Any help as to what the problem might be?

A link for you. This covers what to expect when moving Windows.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

In terms of the BIOS design of your motherboard, the "drives detected"
thing mostly will display what is connected to the P55. The JMB363/322
stuff will likely show "on the fly" as a screen that flashes by, while
the computer is booting. You may also see boot options if you use
the "pop up boot" function key. That function key is not normally
documented, and you may have to look at the bottom of the
BIOS screen, when the system starts, to see what key to use
for the pop-up boot menu.

Paul
Old November 6th 09, 12:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Edward[_7_]

Paul wrote:
Edward wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. I did a clean install of Windows 7 and everything is fine now.