laptop question

Old July 22nd 08, 06:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default laptop question

OK, a friend of mine is looking for a laptop.

He would like to have a fairly large screen.

Other than that, his needs are minimal: some word processing, spreadsheet,
net surfing, online poker. He is not into gaming. He might go with Verizon
Wireless or something similar, so his laptop would have to enable that.

I told him he should be able to find something for under $500? Any
suggestions? Also, what would be a good size for a disk drive and how much
memory would be good (he should have a decent amount in case of future
needs, methinks).

One other question: I am very partial to XP, but for his needs should the OS
be a consideration? (He is used to XP but I'm sure can adjust to Vista)

Mel

Old July 22nd 08, 06:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:28:18 -0400, "MZB"
wrote:

OK, a friend of mine is looking for a laptop.

He would like to have a fairly large screen.

Other than that, his needs are minimal: some word processing, spreadsheet,
net surfing, online poker. He is not into gaming. He might go with Verizon
Wireless or something similar, so his laptop would have to enable that.

I told him he should be able to find something for under $500? Any
suggestions? Also, what would be a good size for a disk drive and how much
memory would be good (he should have a decent amount in case of future
needs, methinks).

One other question: I am very partial to XP, but for his needs should the OS
be a consideration? (He is used to XP but I'm sure can adjust to Vista)

Mel

No suggestions but UNDER $500? I think I might struggle with that.
I guess the best advice is to check the outlet store. Not sure what
you mean by large screen so I'm guessing you mean larger than 14"?
If you buy a Vista system 2 gigs ram otherwise 1 gig ram will be fine
(XP). Since his needs are minimal probably 80 to 160 gig hard drive
will work. Obviously more ram and hard drive space is better but
considering the budget and his needs, I'm trying to be conservative
here.
Old July 22nd 08, 09:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Actually, he could probably go higher. That was just my guestimate, based on
looking at Inspiron 1525 system via Dell Outlet

Mel

Old July 22nd 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JayB

a good laptop starts at $575 and goes up.
anything below that is not recommended, usually because of the config
(being a celeron or 4 cell battery, etc.)

depending on if you want a 1 yr warranty or 3 yr.
3 yr warranty starts around 800.

there are times when you can catch a good deal on the outlet,
but the prices have not been so good in the last few weeks.
you have to keep checking.

Old July 22nd 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Jay:

Is a celeron bad.

I've had a Dell Inspiron 2200. I've had it for about 4-5 years and it has
worked flawlessly. The sticker says Intel Inside Celeron.

As I said, no problems. I have a lattitude at work and that seems sturdier.
But I don't travel that much.

Mel

Old July 23rd 08, 01:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Folks-- any suggestions (specific models?)
"JayB" wrote in message
i would stay away from them.

Old July 23rd 08, 04:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JayB

as a sample
i found this on outlet right now for $539
a good deal with 2gb ram and 128mb video card.

currently new vostros without the video card are around $575+ with vista.

Vostro 1500
(System Identifier: Z8MF889P)

* Vostro 1500 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB
cache)
* Genuine Windows XP Home

System Price : $539.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Home
Memory 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive 120 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
Video
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Web Camera No Camera
Certified Refurbished
Base Vostro 1500 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB
cache) Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Network Interface Card
Dell 1395 802.11G Wireless Mini Card
Hardware Upgrade
6 Cell Primary Battery
90W AC Adapter
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Laptop Screen with TrueLife

MZB wrote:
Folks-- any suggestions (specific models?)
"JayB" wrote in message
i would stay away from them.

Old July 23rd 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Jay:

Thanks. One of the things that confuses me is Inspiron vs. Lattitude vs.
Vostro. Is there some general differences between them?

Mel

MZB wrote:
Folks-- any suggestions (specific models?)
"JayB" wrote in message
i would stay away from them.

Old July 23rd 08, 05:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JayB

inspiron is targeted for consumers.
vostro and latitude are business.
but in some cases, the actual computer is identical except for packaging
and default included features,
i.e., the vostro 1500 is the exact same as the inspiron 1520, the vostro
1700 the same as the insp 1720

now they just came out with the vostro 1510, and it looks nice, looks
more like the xps, although i havnt seen one close up in person yet.

so in all cases, i buy and recommend only buying from the business side
because the support is usually better, there are usually better deals.

in rare cases, can you get some fancier aming equip on the consumer side
that youcant get on the business side, like the high end xps, etc.

with that said, the business side doesnt usually have any colors, so if
that is what you must have, then those suckers gotta buy from the
consumer side. i sold 2 pink laptops, one 1525 and one 1720 and both
were fine and purchased from outlet instead of new for a great savings.

MZB wrote:
Folks-- any suggestions (specific models?)
"JayB" wrote in message
i would stay away from them.

wrote:

[...]

Laptop Question diz.nick26 Dell Computers 0 June 8th 08 12:07 PM
Another Laptop to TV question Rocketbird General 0 January 5th 08 06:12 PM
Laptop Question Brian W. General 1 December 18th 04 12:35 AM
Laptop Question Clarke Washington General Hardware 1 August 18th 04 12:11 AM
Laptop<-- PC question ortoped General Hardware 7 July 27th 04 01:42 PM