Heatsink question

Old June 27th 08, 05:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
speedo420

Default Heatsink question

my sister sent me her old gateway, (PERFORMANCE P4-1300) to take a look
at because it was freezing up. after inspecting it I noticed that the
heatsink is not attached properly.

'Gateway Support - D - Processor/ZIF Socket'
(http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51360305.shtml)

when you look at the above picture, this machine is missing one of the
retention brackets. it has one in upper left and lower right in the
above link.........on this machine there is only one on the upper left.

on this machine is this how I remove it and what are the chances I can
find a replacement bracket?

thanks,

Steve

Old June 27th 08, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman delivers

speedo420 wrote:

my sister sent me her old gateway, (PERFORMANCE P4-1300) to take a look
at because it was freezing up. after inspecting it I noticed that the
heatsink is not attached properly.

'Gateway Support - D - Processor/ZIF Socket'
(http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51360305.shtml)

when you look at the above picture, this machine is missing one of the
retention brackets. it has one in upper left and lower right in the
above link.........on this machine there is only one on the upper left.

on this machine is this how I remove it and what are the chances I can
find a replacement bracket?

thanks,

Steve

* * *
Steve,

I am looking at a intel 423 D850GB socket board, and it has 4 holes
surrounding the socket and appears to use a missing Heat sink Stabilizer
Plate and brackets but the image you provided does not show the brackets -

This is the heatsink stabilizer plate. The heatsink is fastened to the plate
with four screws that go through the motherboard. The plate has feet on it
which, like the stand-off feet, slide into notches in the computer case.
This greatly improves the stability of the motherboard, processor, and
heatsink.
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51065131.shtml

I went to e-bay and found this motherboard for the brackets info...
http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-E210882-DE...QQcmdZViewItem

Here are brackets - no stabilizer plate...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Computer-CPU-Mod...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that helps you aquire what you need - if you have & need the Stabilizer
Plate you will be set, just needing to get the brackets and retainers from
the second link...

JR the postman
Old June 28th 08, 04:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
speedo420[_2_]

thanks JR,

maybe it isn't called a bracket........when you look at this picture

http://members.cox.net/s.langdon/251360303.jpg

do you see the metal tabs I have circled in red? on this machine it
only has one and it's in the upper left hand corner and everything is
lose. what is this used for and can it be replaced?

sorry for the confusion.

Steve

Old June 29th 08, 01:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Steve,

Bracket or clip, whatever it is, you need two of them to secure the heatsink/fan
to the top of the CPU. The clips can be replaced, singly or in pairs.

I may have some here for Socket 423 CPUs. Not sure, as I tore down some
non-working ones for scrap, and I may have saved the clips... Ben Myers

Old July 2nd 08, 07:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
speedo420[_3_]

thanks Ben,

I have both brackets now, before I mount the heatsink/fan do I need
to put anything on the bottom of it? hoping that makes sense.

thanks

Old July 4th 08, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Usually some thermal paste... Ben Myers

heatsink fan question burchill General 2 January 19th 05 04:24 PM
Heatsink Question Paul Asus Motherboards 0 August 31st 04 11:27 AM
Question about heatsink notme Homebuilt PC's 3 August 16th 04 01:13 AM
p4 heatsink question MyndPhlyp Intel 5 July 23rd 04 04:58 PM
Question on P4 heatsink A.J.L. Asus Motherboards 6 January 16th 04 11:59 PM