Still pictures to tv for viewing

Old April 15th 08, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Planer

Default Still pictures to tv for viewing

Rather than display digital pictures on the computer, I'd like to be
able show them
slideshow fashion on the TV.

Would someone take me thru what equipment I'd need? I currently have a
CD-RW drive
but would be willing to spring for a DVD +R.

What would be great would be being able to send them direct from the
computer to the
TV, but that may be wishful thinking.

I realize that picture quality would suffer from displaying them on the
tv, since mine isn't
HD, but I can live with that.

Also keep in mind that I'm still happily running Win98-SE. I'm getting
old and resistant to
change.

Probably my best bet would be to create CD's or DVD's and just use that
method, but
I don't know how one would control things like viewing times, backing up
to review a pic,
or jumping forward.

Lotsa questions and damn few answers.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. If any of you
have ever done this, let
me know.

Old April 15th 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Spamless

On 2008-04-15, Planer wrote:
Rather than display digital pictures on the computer, I'd like to be
able show them
slideshow fashion on the TV.

Some DVD players can display JPGs. Try putting some JPGs (you may
want to rescale and rename with ISO filenames, 8.3- CAPS) on a CDR
and load it into the player.

Almost all can play (S)VCD - an old movie format for CDs (Video CDs/
Super Video CDs).

Instead of separate images, you can create a movie/slideshow.
There are opensource/freeware/shareware/commercial applications
to do that. You can have various transitions and sound tracks.
Then burn to a video format, (S)VCD or DVD.

So, depending on the player, it may be trivial (a CD of JPGs) or
(most generic) a DVD movie slideshow.

Probably my best bet would be to create CD's or DVD's and just use that
method, but
I don't know how one would control things like viewing times, backing up
to review a pic,
or jumping forward.

If it is just a selection of JPGs on a player which supports them,
the DVD should show the list in a menu - if you create a movie,
you can have chapters and jump points.

Lotsa questions and damn few answers.

and it depends on what level of software you like to use.
I am a linux user and have used simple programmes to create
and backup movies or QDVDauthor to create DVDs with menus.

Many DVD burners will come with low versions of easy to use
software for movies and, often, for creating slideshow movies.
Old April 16th 08, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Planer

Spamless wrote:
On 2008-04-15, Planer wrote:
[...]

I started to delete some of this for brevity but maybe someone else can
use the info also.

Thank you, Spamless for your reply. Not only did you give good answers,
but gave
me a good starting point for more research. "Hey, I didn't know what
ISO was all
about till I got your answer."

Hey, next thing ya know I'll be trying to make CDs to play in the car!
Old April 16th 08, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
MCheu

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:55:35 -0500, Planer
wrote:

Rather than display digital pictures on the computer, I'd like to be
able show them
slideshow fashion on the TV.

Would someone take me thru what equipment I'd need? I currently have a
CD-RW drive
but would be willing to spring for a DVD +R.

CD-RW burner or DVD RW burner
DVD player (for the TV).

Most players will display them in slideshow fashion if you burn a data
CD or DVD with the images in JPG format (what most digital cameras use
as a native format these days).

Don't bother organizing them into folders on the CD or DVD, because a
lot of set top players won't dig down into subdirectories. Many only
look at the root level.

The slide show will be a function of the player. Most default to a 2
or 3 second delay before automatically moving onto the next picture.
Some players default to a manual navigation where you click through
or select your desired image with the arrow buttons on the remote. You
can usually change all those options, but you'll have to look at your
player's manual for the how-to.

Unless you have a pressing need to get a DVD burner for something
else, you can burn onto a CD-R or CD-RW with your current CD-RW burner
for this.

What would be great would be being able to send them direct from the
computer to the
TV, but that may be wishful thinking.

I realize that picture quality would suffer from displaying them on the
tv, since mine isn't
HD, but I can live with that.

Also keep in mind that I'm still happily running Win98-SE. I'm getting
old and resistant to
change.

Probably my best bet would be to create CD's or DVD's and just use that
method, but
I don't know how one would control things like viewing times, backing up
to review a pic,
or jumping forward.

Lotsa questions and damn few answers.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. If any of you
have ever done this, let
me know.

Actually it's just one very long question. Dump all your photos (in
JPG format) onto a CD or DVD and stick it into your stand alone DVD
player. See above for the more detailed answer. You already seem to
have the equipment to burn JPG images to a CD, and I would imagine you
already own a stand-alone DVD player (if not, cheap ones are only $20
from places like Walmart). Every DVD player I've used has the picture
viewer feature, but I suppose there may be some old ones that don't.
Old April 16th 08, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Planer

wrote:

Actually it's just one very long question. Dump all your photos (in
JPG format) onto a CD or DVD and stick it into your stand alone DVD
player. See above for the more detailed answer. You already seem to
have the equipment to burn JPG images to a CD, and I would imagine you
already own a stand-alone DVD player (if not, cheap ones are only $20
from places like Walmart). Every DVD player I've used has the picture
viewer feature, but I suppose there may be some old ones that don't.

Thanks mcheu. I guess I was better off than I thought. It's just that
I'm all
new to a lot of this. Now all I have to do, is do it!

Viewing jpegs on a TV Lee M. Homebuilt PC's 3 June 26th 08 01:16 AM
Viewing (2) Dells at once? Mikie Dell Computers 18 May 8th 06 04:31 AM
scan viewing Terry Boldt Scanners 1 October 1st 03 01:36 PM
Viewing PAL Playstation (One) through ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro Paul Speller Ati Videocards 5 July 18th 03 06:05 PM
Viewing jpg's on TV Isaac Cdr 0 July 5th 03 01:24 AM