Motherboard Opinions

Old February 17th 05, 09:04 AM
Jamie

Default Motherboard Opinions

What are your opinions on the best boards. Not a cost issue but overall
quality and stability?

Old February 17th 05, 10:21 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:04:17 GMT, "Jamie"
wrote:

What are your opinions on the best boards. Not a cost issue but overall
quality and stability?

Wow thats impossible to say since no one actually goes out and buys 30
boards. And ALL boards tend to have problems in the beginning as bugs
are sorted out with bios upgrades etc.

Also there are partisans like with hard disks and video cards. And
usually with a board you get a certain percentage who out of luck buy
components and have it set up a certain way where they dont have any
problems while others tear their hair out so the first group will
always say their board is perfect wonderful --- but it may not be with
someone with a faster processor, or Raid config, or different video
card etc.

I used to read the weirdest freaking posts about MBs. I swear Ive read
just like the HD threads people who insist ASus boards are total crap.
You get the usual --- I worked in a store or know a guy who works in a
store and we had $60 returns for ASUS ................. One guy
claimed he worked in a store and they returned an RMA board to him the
same one with some wires soldered on to it hanging out , a really
messy amateurish fix. Ive never seen such a thing personally.

Same with ABIT. After the bad cap stuff ages ago when it first popped
up in the ABIT group people were bashing abit since none of the other
makers admitted to having ANY bad caps all any knew was Abits had them
from that guy who was fixing them in a kind of home business setup.

I always say I tend to like Abit and Asus mainly because theres a lot
of feedback and thats really important ---- big newsgroup posts. And
because of that you see some of the smaller players get bashed
Chaintech even MSI but frankly I think all of them have problems and
none are really that bad except for PC chips maybe and all the brands
they sell under, I mean looking at the freaking prices they are sold.
Im a cheap skate so I look for cheap prices --- there can be some
price differentials just on the fact of name hype, or that a bigger
org has more overhead or more well known name can charge higher prices
but PC chips has a bad rep from the old days and I dont see anything
that puts them in the top rungs of MB makers. That said however a lot
of people buy their ECS cheapo specials at FRYs and claim not to have
any really horrible problems with them.

Since the boards almost come free with the processor at FRYs combo
specials Id get one too if I could.

Old February 17th 05, 11:06 AM
S.Heenan

Jamie wrote:
What are your opinions on the best boards. Not a cost issue but
overall quality and stability?

I've always chosen Abit, Asus, and Gigabyte boards for my machines. The only
slight complaint I have is with Revision 1 boards which can have slight
quirks. This holds true for all manner of PC hardware. It's the price to be
paid for being an early adopter.
FWIW, my old Rev 1.04 A7V is still in use in a server today. That board is
4.25 years old.

--
"Even a broken clock is going to be once twice a day." - Jedidiah in
cola

Old February 17th 05, 12:14 PM
RBM

I agree with the other posts, personally I've only used Asus boards, I'm
anxious about trying another company,but I've had nothing but good
experience with Asus, I just can't bring myself to change. I also like the
boards with lots of stuff on them, even if I don't use it, I like to have
the option

Old February 17th 05, 03:22 PM

Well, everybody seems to say that ASUS is great, and ASRock is a cost
effective alternative. Buy ASUS.
~Q

--
What is said here is for amusement
purposes only. Any opinions expressed

Old February 17th 05, 03:51 PM
Jamie

ya but I am one of the ones that have had problems with ASUS boards and I
found their customer support horrid. I am an ABit fan. Also I don't really
like a whole lot of OnBoard so that also is a reason why I choose ABit.

Old February 17th 05, 04:21 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:51:12 GMT, "Jamie"
wrote:

ya but I am one of the ones that have had problems with ASUS boards and I
found their customer support horrid. I am an ABit fan. Also I don't really
like a whole lot of OnBoard so that also is a reason why I choose ABit.

A while back I vaguely remember even Anandtech had a thing about how
ASUS was a bit stingy or rigid about RMAs. I thought they seemed a but
reluctant about it too when I did my board but that was a long time
ago when I read that at Anands and I RMAd my board have no idea how it
is now but I did some Abits a year or so ago and they were incredibly
hassle free. Maybe too hassle free since I heard they were doing that
great financially. but who knows if thats true. I know many companies
complain that a lot or even most of the returned stuff is actually OK
PNY claims that at their website. .

Old February 17th 05, 05:27 PM
RBM

I've never used an Abit board,but they look great and if I had any issues
with Asus, they'd be my next choice. I agree Asus support sucks, I can't
ever get them to return support question emails

Old February 17th 05, 10:43 PM
kony

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:21:09 GMT, "
wrote:

snip

I know many companies
complain that a lot or even most of the returned stuff is actually OK
PNY claims that at their website. .

While some stuff might be OK, others might be working to the
manufacturer's satisfaction but their product was flawed in
such a way that it didn't work for the user... which is
still unfit merchandise depending on how you look at it.

To give you an example, I recall a PCCHips motherboard that,
if you took out a certain CPU and installed a different,
officially supported CPU, the board acted dead. Clear CMOS
didn't help, but returning old CPU to board and flashing a
different bios did get the 2nd CPU working, but it was an
OLDER bios! I can imagine anyone who'd started out with
that board and tried an officially supported CPU could end
up returning it to them, it then tests fine, but their bios
bug(s) still made it unusable .
Old February 18th 05, 12:01 AM
DaveW

Asus is the world's largest manufacturer of motherboards and uses the
highest quality parts.

--
DaveW

Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
Opinions on P4 motherboard Slacker General 6 May 25th 04 04:27 AM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 10:51 AM
Opinions needed on a Chaintech motherboard.... Darth Joules Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 12th 03 12:43 AM
Opinions on 120GB HDD, DVD writer and dual p3 motherboard Alien Zord General 0 June 23rd 03 08:50 AM