USB hub connection problem

Old February 8th 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

Default USB hub connection problem

I've got two USB 4 port hubs. One hub is a "Micro Innovations" usb
1.1 and the other (newer hub) is an "I connect" usb 2.0 hub.
The newer hub is capable of being powered but not the older hub, if
this matters. I also have an older usb Microtek scanner and a fairly
new usb Fujitsu scanner. When I plug both into the usb 2.0 hub, the
old scanner will not work but the new one works fine. I reversed the
usb plugs in the hub and same effect. I then tried the old scanner's
usb plug in a 3rd spot in the usb 2.0 hub and no luck. I then plugged
the old scanner usb plug into the back of the XPS410/9200 and it
worked okay.

It seems like the old scanner doesn't like the usb 2.0 hub but I
thought usb 2.0 was backward compatible to 1.1. And doesn't the
XPS410/9200 have usb 2.0 connections on the back?

I guess I'm a bit confused. Unless the 2.0 hub is malfunctioning
(I'll do more testing) I can't make any sense of this. And ideas?
Old February 8th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jim Macklin

Buy a 7 port USB 2.0 hub, D-link has one that is very nice
and even has a $10 rebate.

Don't daisy-chain the hubs, connect then to separate ports
on your computer and use the 1.1 hub only for mouse and
keyboard and other low demand devices.

Old February 8th 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:26:28 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

Buy a 7 port USB 2.0 hub, D-link has one that is very nice
and even has a $10 rebate.

Don't daisy-chain the hubs, connect then to separate ports
on your computer and use the 1.1 hub only for mouse and
keyboard and other low demand devices.

Thanks but 4 port is enough.
No, I didn't daisy chain them. I did connect them to separate ports
on the pc. Yes, I can work around the problem but wondered if anyone
had a better clue why the scanners behave this way.

Thanks.
Old February 8th 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

wrote:

Buy a 7 port USB 2.0 hub, D-link has one that is very nice
and even has a $10 rebate.

Don't daisy-chain the hubs, connect then to separate ports
on your computer and use the 1.1 hub only for mouse and
keyboard and other low demand devices.

Thanks but 4 port is enough.
No, I didn't daisy chain them. I did connect them to separate ports
on the pc. Yes, I can work around the problem but wondered if anyone
had a better clue why the scanners behave this way.

Thanks.

It is likely the scanner is not handling the USB standard exactly
correctly -- likely timings. The hub likely makes it worse. I doubt there
is much you can do other than pluggin it directly into the PC.

Old February 8th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

wrote:

Buy a 7 port USB 2.0 hub, D-link has one that is very nice
and even has a $10 rebate.

Don't daisy-chain the hubs, connect then to separate ports
on your computer and use the 1.1 hub only for mouse and
keyboard and other low demand devices.

Thanks but 4 port is enough.
No, I didn't daisy chain them. I did connect them to separate ports
on the pc. Yes, I can work around the problem but wondered if anyone
had a better clue why the scanners behave this way.

Thanks.

It is likely the scanner is not handling the USB standard exactly
correctly -- likely timings. The hub likely makes it worse. I doubt there
is much you can do other than pluggin it directly into the PC.

Thanks Tom as I haven't a clue. Luckily not a life and death issue
but appreciate the education g. I'll play with it a bit more but
won't expect much.

thanks again.
Old February 8th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Harry

RnR wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't know what the problem really is but I had the very same situation
earlier today. I purchased a 2.0 4 port USB hub and when I plugged my
scanner into it, the scanning software kept crashing. When I plugged it
directly back into my computer, it worked fine. So, that is where it
currently is - in my computer and I plugged my printer into the hub and it
works fine there.

I know that doesn't help resolving the problem, but at least you know you're
not alone - and the hub I purchased is not the same brand as yours :-).

Harry

Old February 8th 07, 03:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 03:22:14 GMT, "Harry"
wrote:

RnR wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks Harry. At least I know I'm not going nuts g. It must have
something to do with certain scanners and usb 2.0 hubs. I wonder how
old your scanner is?

Thanks again for helping me get a clue grin !!
Old February 8th 07, 02:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Harry

wrote:

RnR wrote in message ...
[...]

It isn't very old - perhaps 6 - 8 months or so. It's a Canon 8400F.

I can't address you're going nuts, but at least we are in the same boat -
LOL

Old February 8th 07, 03:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

wrote:

RnR wrote in message ...
[...]

I was thinking that the age of the scanners might have something to do
with the lack of meshing with the usb 2.0 std but I guess it's just
some scanners in general. Thanks again Harry. Guess we'll just have
to live with it g.