CPU cooler advice for P5E3 Premium

Old May 29th 13, 11:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim[_38_]

Default CPU cooler advice for P5E3 Premium

I'm about to upgrade my CPU to a Q9550 and want to buy another cooler
for the cpu, I want to be able to have the option so that when pc is
idling the fan will slow down to cut noise yet when i do heavy intensive
cpu work it will of course spin up to a higher rpm.
I'm unsure how this works though do i have to install some kind of 3rd
party app from Asus or someone else, is it controlled in the bios, if
it's a windows app what happens when i'm outside windows for example
making an image as i say outside windows.

Jim
Old May 29th 13, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob[_20_]

On 29/05/2013 11:05, Jim wrote:
I'm about to upgrade my CPU to a Q9550 and want to buy another cooler
for the cpu, I want to be able to have the option so that when pc is
idling the fan will slow down to cut noise yet when i do heavy intensive
cpu work it will of course spin up to a higher rpm.
I'm unsure how this works though do i have to install some kind of 3rd
party app from Asus or someone else, is it controlled in the bios, if
it's a windows app what happens when i'm outside windows for example
making an image as i say outside windows.

Jim

Look under the BIOS menus for Hardware Monitor and set the "CPU
Fan Control" item to "Profile". Once you do this, an new item
becomes available, "Fan Profile". Set this to "Optimal" for
completely automatic CPU fan speed control. This is OS
independent.
Also check whether you need a BIOS upgrade before fitting the
Q9550 - looks like you need version 505 or later for that CPU.
HTH
--
Rob

Old May 29th 13, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim[_38_]

On 29/05/2013 15:08, Rob wrote:
On 29/05/2013 11:05, Jim wrote:
[...]

OK thanks for that Rob I have the latest bios (0803) and i think my new
cpu will work in there ok, mine is a "Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550
SLB8V 2.83GHz E0 12M 1333" so i'll go into my bios now and set the settings

JIm
Old May 29th 13, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Jim wrote:
I'm about to upgrade my CPU to a Q9550 and want to buy another cooler
for the cpu, I want to be able to have the option so that when pc is
idling the fan will slow down to cut noise yet when i do heavy intensive
cpu work it will of course spin up to a higher rpm.
I'm unsure how this works though do i have to install some kind of 3rd
party app from Asus or someone else, is it controlled in the bios, if
it's a windows app what happens when i'm outside windows for example
making an image as i say outside windows.

Jim

The only other thing I'd add to Robs answer, is try to get a CPU cooler with
a four pin fan. To match your four pin CPU header.

While they make three pin CPU coolers, you may not necessarily
get a speed control feature by doing that. The four pin header
helps in that respect (PWM control pin).

GND
+12V
RPM_signal (output from the fan)
PWM (control input to fan, sets fan speed) ---- want this

Example.

"Power Connector 4 Pin"

HTH,
Paul
Old May 29th 13, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim[_38_]

On 29/05/2013 17:48, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul, funny you should mention that I'm looking for a new CPU
cooler now, right now i have no plans to OC but i know i will sooner or
later to get the most out of my CPU as times goes one so i started
looking for it yesterday.

Jim
Old June 2nd 13, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim[_38_]

On 29/05/2013 17:48, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul well i went for my CPU cooler a Noctua NH-CP12P SE14 which
does only have a 3 pin and it seems the only way to control the fan in
any way is with a couple of resistors that alter the input voltage,
however i do have a Reeven Six Eyes fan controller so i may use that,
which is a bit of a bummer as i wanted the cpu cooler to be automated to
some degree, oh well such is life i guess i'll set up some kind of
software that runs in the systray and sounds an alarm if it goes over a
certain temp.

Jim
Old June 2nd 13, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Jim wrote:
On 29/05/2013 17:48, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

So electrically, what you'd want, is something that translates four
pin PWM 25KHz signal, into three pin analog +12V.

Example here.

http://www.svc.com/pwmx.html

"The Nanoxia 3-Pin to 4-Pin PWM fan controller is a unique
adapter that allows you to plug any standard 3-Pin fan
into your PWM motherboard and have your motherboard
control your standard fan as if it were a PWM fan!"

Effectively, that would be using the circuit that comes
inside the hub of a four wire cpu fan. They're asking $13
for it, but it would be cheaper than that, to make it.

The inside of it, is pretty cheesy looking.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.50335...29130&pid=15.1

This thread here, addresses the general topic. If I'm reading
this right, the Nanoxia "quantizes" the fan speed setting.
The motherboard sends a continuously variable fan speed
signal, but the Nanoxia chooses to send out 5.1, 6.7, 8.0, 9.3,
or 10.4 volts (never goes to 12V, due to the drop across
the pass transistor).

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/project...converter/105/

Whereas this kind of design, is continuously variable, just
like the motherboard.

http://www.compendiumarcana.com/pcfa...adjustable.png

I expect both designs, will be kicking out a bit of heat while
they do the conversion.

So it is possible to do conversion, if you're sufficiently
motivated to track down a good design. That preserves
all the design intent, of the 4 pin, but with a 3 pin
interface.

Paul
Old June 5th 13, 05:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bob F

Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
On 29/05/2013 17:48, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

Can't 3 pin fans be controlled by the bios/motherboard? I do that on one of
mine.

Old June 5th 13, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Bob F wrote:
Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
On 29/05/2013 17:48, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

There are two generations of control methods. But they both boil down
to the same thing. Just slight differences as to where the conversion
is done.

On a three pin fan, you want to vary the +12V supply voltage to the fan.
The three pin fan, generally the fan is "just a DC motor", so changing
the voltage makes some difference to the speed.

Your motherboard, would have a transistor of some sort, next to the
three pin CPU fan header. The signal coming to that transistor is
PWM, because a PWM method saturates the transistor, keeping power
dissipation in the transistor low. You could easily use
other, non-PWM methods to create a voltage, but those
are less common as a methodology. (I use diodes to drop voltage
here, and have also on occasion used a 78xx family regulator for
reducing fan speed.)

Now, on the four pin fan header, Intel says you're supposed to
keep the 12V pin at precisely 12V. They say that, because they
know there is a transistor inside the fan hub, and it works best
running at 12V. If you feed a reduced voltage to the fan,
at the same time as you also feed it a PWM signal instructing
the fan to slow down, the transistor doesn't get biased properly.
The hub of the fan starts to get warm, or hot.

So with the four pin interface, the fan gets a constant +12V
source, as well as the PWM logic signal. The signal runs at
25KHz, the intent being, any acoustic noise made as a byproduct
of that signal, is above human hearing. The PWM signal works
the same way as the old three pin, motherboard-centric solution
would have worked. The PWM signal operates on a saturated
transistor inside the fan hub, and the output voltage from
that operation, feeds the fan motor.

So all Intel really did, was push the expense of that transistor,
to the fan manufacturer, and away from the motherboard manufacturer.

There were some "transition" motherboards, where the four pin fan
header supported both methods. But the user was responsible for
setting a control in the BIOS properly. The user had to set it
to "three pin", when a three pin fan was present (so the +12V
gets dialed down). Then, if a four pin fan is being used, the
user has to remember to change the BIOS setting as well, to PWM.
Then, control is purely via the PWM logic signal, and the +12V
from the motherboard, stays at a constant 12V level. There were a
fair number of boards with that option, so you may still run
into some. The user in that case, is responsible for not
setting the BIOS to "three pin mode", when a four pin fan
is present (as Intel wants the 4 pin 12V pin, to run at 12V).

Paul