SPDIF problems/SB Live mp3

Old July 7th 03, 03:51 PM
Bendit

Default SPDIF problems/SB Live mp3

Progress: I have moved the soundblaster live Digital Entertainment
card(SB0100) to PCI slot 4. In order for the card to get a unique IRQ
in Windows XP, I had to disable the onboard USB hub (because it seems
that in Dell computers, IRQ sharing HAS to happen and PCI slot 4
shares with USB). Now the sound card has a UNIQUE IRQ and as always
the latest drivers are installed. I still get small hiccups from AC3
sound from DVDs sometimes. I think I am out of ideas and I think the
newest drivers are the problem since again, that card used to work
flawlessly with the stock drivers.

(Bendit) wrote in message . com...
Well, just for fun, I have moved my soundcard from PCI slots. I went
to #1 and the one closest to the CPU (#5 I beleive, I tried
opposites). Each time you move the card, you need to reinstall the
drivers. Guess what? I STILL get choppy AC3 sound sometimes. Again,
that card use to work flawlessly with the stock drivers.

(Bendit) wrote in message om...
ceedub, this is a load of crap. My SB card has been sitting in the
same slot under windows 2000 with the stock drivers and it worked
fine. I installed the NEW drivers (without even touching the
soundcard!) under windows 2000 still and I started having stutters. I
then installed a fresh install of windows XP, applied the NEW drivers
and still have the problem today. Like I said, it used to work
perfectly and I was pretty happy with it! (having paid 30$ for the
card and getting true surround sound, that's cool). But now the
stutters are annoying me.

"ceedub" wrote in message news:ONKGa.67440$%42.37610@fed1read06...
I tried to resolve this with Creative Labs. They told me to change the
position of my SB Live within the computer. I assume this was an attempt to
get the SB card to use another Irq, but my computer is set to ACPI under XP.
As a result, most of my cards are sitting on Irq9. I tried to fix this by
changing my computer type to "standard" under with the Control Panel. But,
it just caused other problems (my computer stopped recognizing my USB
Microsoft Mouse!). So, I set it back to ACPI and I'm still having the
trouble. I think I'll just buy a pro-level sound card. This is just too
frustrating!

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Bendit" wrote in message
om...
Interesting! I wonder if it is related to my issue! Read my post:

1 Bendit Apr 21, 2003
Subject: Choppy sound SB Live 5.1 DE

I have the exact same problem, but with spdif AC3 playback. And the
strange thing is that it used to work PERFECTLY with the oem drivers!
I beleive it's the new drivers that are causing the problem. It is not
hardware and I have a fresh install of winXP.

"ceedub" wrote in message

I have an SB Mp3 installed in an Athlon 1GHz box with XP. I have this
connected to a Hoontech digital bracket so that I can interface my

computer
with an external DAT. I'm having trouble recording from the SPDIF

input.
When I do so (or even simply monitor the SPDIF in), the sound seems

fine,
except that I get spurious drop outs in the sound. These are quite

breif
(perhaps only 200-500 milliseconds) and intermittent (typically one drop

per
minute or so of monitoring), but totally negate the possibility of
transferring recorded music from the DAT onto my machine using a digital
transfer. The interesting part is that SPDIF transfers in the other
direction seem to work, for what I can tell. If I monitor the record

input
(SPDIF) on my DAT while playing digital music on the computer, I don't

seem
to get the drops.

Any ideas about what might be cludging up my SPDIF input?

Thanks