Laptop batteries

Old July 13th 03, 02:27 AM
Observer3

Default Laptop batteries

Hello Gateway group. I have three quick questions about laptops and batteries.

1) When you plug-in and unplug the AC adapter for laptops, do you need to turn the computer off first? I thought there might be some safety issues here.

2) It is my understanding that when the AC adapter is plugged in and running, the battery automatically begins charging, without the need for the user to do anything, such as launching a program or pushing any buttons. Is that correct?

3) Does the battery charge even while the computer is turned off?
Old July 13th 03, 02:43 AM
Edward J. Neth

No need to turn off the power. Some notebooks charge while they're on, and
others do not. On those that do, it usually takes longer to charge a
battery while the notebook is powered on. If the power is connected and the
battery isn't fully charged, it will charge even if the power is turned off.

Old July 13th 03, 03:02 AM
Observer3

Thanks for the response, Ed. If I may, one last question about
laptop batteries. Is there such a thing as 'overcharging' a battery? Or
can you let it charge indefinitely?

news

"Observer3" wrote in message
Hello Gateway group. I have three quick questions about laptops and
batteries.

1) When you plug-in and unplug the AC adapter for laptops, do you need to
turn the computer off first? I thought there might be some safety issues
here.

2) It is my understanding that when the AC adapter is plugged in and
running, the battery automatically begins charging, without the need for

the
user to do anything, such as launching a program or pushing any buttons.

Is
that correct?

3) Does the battery charge even while the computer is turned off?

A S-Video connection fried both my laptop and TV! Help needed! [email protected] General 2 March 2nd 05 07:31 PM
How interchangeable are laptop batteries? [email protected] Dell Computers 5 December 20th 04 10:37 AM
Is there anywhere else to buy Dell Laptop Batteries? Dan Graves Dell Computers 7 April 6th 04 03:58 AM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 1 July 12th 03 09:38 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 0 July 12th 03 05:11 PM