A7S333--Adding 2G Memory--Problems

Old March 9th 08, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
W. Watson

Default A7S333--Adding 2G Memory--Problems

I had a 1G 3 year old Patriot memory card in my machine, and tried adding 2
more identical PC2100 Patriot 1G cards. Things did not go well, so I pulled
them out. My first attempt found XP Pro firing up very, very slowly. I
pulled the 2 new mem cards and tried just adding one. That worked for
awhile, then I would get a blue screen, and have to reboot. I continued to
try various combos of the two new mem cards, but couldn't get it to work. I
could see the PC knew they were there by looking at BIOS. They are now
pulled, and I'm back to just 1G. Comments?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Old March 9th 08, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

W. Watson wrote:
I had a 1G 3 year old Patriot memory card in my machine, and tried
adding 2 more identical PC2100 Patriot 1G cards. Things did not go well,
so I pulled them out. My first attempt found XP Pro firing up very, very
slowly. I pulled the 2 new mem cards and tried just adding one. That
worked for awhile, then I would get a blue screen, and have to reboot. I
continued to try various combos of the two new mem cards, but couldn't
get it to work. I could see the PC knew they were there by looking at
BIOS. They are now pulled, and I'm back to just 1G. Comments?

The empirical evidence is, that the motherboard can handle less than
2GB of memory. The thread here, has feedback from a number of users
who've tried to upgrade.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

This is the largest working configuration -

"The best I could do was to combine three sticks....
1gig, 512, 256 for a total of 1,792."

That tells you that three sticks work, but maybe there
is something wrong with resource allocation when a lot
of RAM is present. Something that they never tested.

If you look at the user manual, when the motherboard
was released, the tested memory listed in the manual
was only 128MB and 256MB sticks. That means, that
1GB sticks might only have been a dream at that point.

Here is another strange datapoint. I'm speechless.

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq_righ...Language=en-us

There is a remote possibility the sticks are "high
density", but I examined the Patriot web pages, and
the specs for those products claim they are "two rank"
modules, which would be low density. So that probably
isn't it. I'm just surprised that one of the new ones,
wouldn't have worked error free by itself.

If trying one stick, the best slot should be
furthest from the processor (DIMM3). The termination
resistors should be right next to that slot, which
is why I'd select it.

If it really doesn't look like a 2x1GB config is going
to work, I'd try to return that memory and get your
money back. The stick could be defective I suppose,
but the motherboard is at least as likely to be
playing a part in this.

HTH,
Paul
Old March 9th 08, 08:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Supernews

What is motherboard?
What BIOS version? Most current available?
What models of Patriot memory?
Does 1 stick of new memory work properly?
===========================
. net...

Old March 9th 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
W. Watson

Thanks. I'll see if I can contact them tomorrow, and put it to them. They
used to have weekend support. Recession blues?

Old March 9th 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
W. Watson

This may be futile if the poster above is right. In any case:
BIOS Rev 1006, 4/30/03
Patriot PSD1G266, 1G PC2100 CL2.5
Yes, 1G has worked fine since I put it in several years ago. Prior to that I
was running with maybe 256 or 512M. The only difference I can note between
the old 1G and the new ones is the new ones say RoHS compliant.

Supernews wrote:
What is motherboard?
What BIOS version? Most current available?
What models of Patriot memory?
Does 1 stick of new memory work properly?
===========================
. net...

Old March 9th 08, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
W. Watson

And of course, the MB is in the Subject.

Supernews wrote:
What is motherboard?
What BIOS version? Most current available?
What models of Patriot memory?
Does 1 stick of new memory work properly?
===========================
"W. Watson" wrote in message
. net...
I had a 1G 3 year old Patriot memory card in my machine, and tried
adding 2 more identical PC2100 Patriot 1G cards. Things did not go
well, so I pulled them out. My first attempt found XP Pro firing up
very, very slowly. I pulled the 2 new mem cards and tried just adding
one. That worked for awhile, then I would get a blue screen, and have
to reboot. I continued to try various combos of the two new mem
cards, but couldn't get it to work. I could see the PC knew they were
there by looking at BIOS. They are now pulled, and I'm back to just
1G. Comments?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

problems adding memory Richard Ward General 5 August 25th 05 05:57 PM
A7S333 Audio Problems and other problems Colin Douglas Asus Motherboards 1 January 31st 04 03:39 PM
Adding memory NMH Dell Computers 5 December 2nd 03 05:09 AM
A7S333 Memory Problems Paul T Asus Motherboards 0 November 29th 03 07:20 PM
A7S333 and sound problems Egil Solberg Asus Motherboards 4 November 16th 03 10:07 PM