Installing W2K on a P5NSLI--Reducing a 320G HD to 76G!!

Old August 16th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
W. Watson

Default Installing W2K on a P5NSLI--Reducing a 320G HD to 76G!!

I've more or less battled my way through the W2K OS to a point where it
wants to partition my 320 WD HD. It show C: NTFS 76G and D: FAT 1/4 G. I
talked to ASUS tech support and they think when I apply SP4 all will be OK.
That is, I'll have 320G. I have my doubts. Can anyone illuminate this topic?
I did create a floppy with drivers and installed it during the W2K Setup.
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Old August 16th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
W. Watson

I finally checked with an ASUS tech, a store tech (where I bought it), and a
third person on another NG. All agreed that I should push on with the
partitioning, when it got to that point. I bought the story that SP4 would
correct it. Wrong! My IDE drive got formatted instead, 80G (note the 76G
below) instead of the 320G SATA drive. I wiped out all of my data on the IDE
drive and installed a new W2K.

Fortunately, over the years I had dragged off most of the important data to
this machine in the den. When I called the next ASUS tech and asked about
the partition oddity he immediately said, before I went further with a point
I was going to make, just push ahead and SP4 will fix it. He's now corrected
on that point. The only easy way to get it on the SATA drives is to
disconnect all the IDE drives. I'll do that today.

Old August 18th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Robert Hancock

W. Watson wrote:
I've more or less battled my way through the W2K OS to a point where it
wants to partition my 320 WD HD. It show C: NTFS 76G and D: FAT 1/4 G. I
talked to ASUS tech support and they think when I apply SP4 all will be
OK. That is, I'll have 320G. I have my doubts. Can anyone illuminate
this topic? I did create a floppy with drivers and installed it during
the W2K Setup.

I don't think you can just upgrade to SP4 later and have it work. You
need to use an install CD with SP4 slipstreamed into it.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

P5NSLI - doesn't boot or start unless it's warm (?) Asus Guy Asus Motherboards 16 April 22nd 07 02:24 PM
Trying to upgrade P5NSLI BIOS, getting "Downgraded ROM file was notsuitable for the system" error message ? Asus Guy Asus Motherboards 5 March 11th 07 02:32 AM
P5NSLI all usb ports died at once woops Asus Motherboards 5 January 16th 07 07:12 PM
Reducing Grain Steve Scanners 1 January 17th 05 04:06 PM
reducing jitter when burning species8350 Cdr 5 December 15th 03 08:50 PM