Will Pentium 5 work on existing Pentium 4 (Socket 478) mobo

Old June 24th 03, 09:25 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Will Pentium 5 work on existing Pentium 4 (Socket 478) mobo

I'm gonna be buying everything for a new system soon (something around the
2.5Ghz area) however, I'm also planing out my upgrade strategy for the
future. If I go with the an AMD system, I'm basically maxed out at the
currently available 3200+ since the Athlon 64 will require a new mobo. So
I'm thinking of going the Intel way, but I can't find definative answers to
a couple of questions.

According to Toms Hardware the Pentium 5 (Prescott) will first come out in a
socket 478 (Pentium 4 style). It won't be till end of next year that the
Pentium 5 will require a new socket and hence new mobo. However, what I'm
wondering is ... since the P5 will use the same socket as the P4, can I
expect that most P4 boards will work fine with the new P5? This way I would
have an upgrade path that is viable till the end of next year instead of
ending in a few months when the Athlon 64 comes out.

Thanks,
Harry

Old June 25th 03, 12:57 AM
Strontium

With an 800MHz FSB and 400MHz memory bus, I doubt you'll even 'need' or
'want' to upgrade for a while. Unless, like me, you just do it to 'do it'.
I'm currently running the 865G chipset with a P2.4C and PC3200 memory. This
thing is smokin', even with my old GF3 Ti 200 (overclocked). It's running
games, like butta. I can't even imagine how this box is going to rock, when
I slap an ATI 9700 in it. Oddly enough, according to the data sheets on the
865G chipset, it's codename is 'Prescott' as well. Boards with this chipset
also seem to be costing around $50-$100 less than those using the Canterwood
(875P) chipset, depending on mfg. Only difference seems to be the
impementation of Gigabit LAN on the 875P motherboards. I sure don't need
Gigabit LAN capability. Highest real-world speeds I've ever seen on my home
LAN max out at about 30Mbps, on a 10/100, wired platform. Well more than I
need.

-
Harry Muscle stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

[...]

I'm sorry. Apparently, I'm feeling a little too psychotic this morning.

-The main character in Postal 2