A7N8X Reports errors

Old June 24th 03, 01:29 PM
Baxter

Default A7N8X Reports errors

Using the following

A7N8X MB
AMD 2800+
2 x 256 Corsair PC3200
2 IDE Hard Drives
CD\DVD-Rom
CD\CD-RW
Zip Drive
Ti4200 Video

I'm not over clocking and memory is set to 100%

System runs great and appears to be very stable. I can run the mem86 test
for 12 hours with no errors, but the voice reporter on boot up says "System
Failed memory test" about half the time. Anyboby got any clues? Is this
voice reporter evn reliable?

Thanks
Bax

Old June 24th 03, 02:35 PM
S.Heenan

"Baxter" wrote in message
Using the following

A7N8X MB
AMD 2800+
2 x 256 Corsair PC3200
2 IDE Hard Drives
CD\DVD-Rom
CD\CD-RW
Zip Drive
Ti4200 Video

I'm not over clocking and memory is set to 100%

System runs great and appears to be very stable. I can run the mem86 test
for 12 hours with no errors, but the voice reporter on boot up says

"System
Failed memory test" about half the time. Anyboby got any clues? Is this
voice reporter evn reliable?

Thanks
Bax

I've seen the same glitch on several A7N8X Deluxe boards. Disable the Post
Reporter and set to "Halt on No Errors."

Old June 24th 03, 05:06 PM
Scott Littlefield

"Baxter" wrote in message
Using the following

A7N8X MB
AMD 2800+
2 x 256 Corsair PC3200
2 IDE Hard Drives
CD\DVD-Rom
CD\CD-RW
Zip Drive
Ti4200 Video

I'm not over clocking and memory is set to 100%

System runs great and appears to be very stable. I can run the mem86 test
for 12 hours with no errors, but the voice reporter on boot up says

"System
Failed memory test" about half the time. Anyboby got any clues? Is this
voice reporter evn reliable?

Thanks
Bax

Same thing happens on mine. Machine runs fine even after the report. I
think the little voice in my computer is on crack.

Old June 24th 03, 07:12 PM
Bender

Me too.

I have disabled the voice report

Old June 29th 03, 11:09 AM
Nick Hancock

Hi,

When I was building my machine (2400+ XP, 2x512MB PC2700 Infineon), I was
also getting the same problem (more often at 133MHz than at 166MHz ???).
Memory tests also never found any actual problems with the RAM. When I
removed one stick of memory, the error came only infrequently, then usually
only when I restarted from Windows (during installation of XP and software).

Once the system was installed, I then left 2nd stick out. It ran for over a
week week without one occurance of the problem. I then noted that I had left
a CD in my old CD-writer. I plugged the CD into power and switched the PC on
and I received the error message again! I thought of power supply
immediately. Especially as I was running on a 300W PSU (a bit low for this
board, I know, but all power lines were running stable and within tolerances
and when WinXP was up and running it was rock solid).

I then bought a 460W Enermax PSU. It seems to have improved things
considerably. I have both 512MB sticks running now and I have had the
message just once since then and this was after I hadn't used the PC for
almost a week. I read somewhere that a stick of 128MB needs 10W, if this is
scalable then 1GB would need 100W, which would tend to make sense of
everthing.

What PSU are you using?

Cheers
Nick