Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (notfuture-proof, no 10 GBe)

Old July 9th 19, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (notfuture-proof, no 10 GBe)

This year I will probably buy a new computer, I will probably wait for the 16 core ryzen, I've wait 13 years to buy a new computer and somebody I know thinks I should wait 2 more months to get the 16 core part lol.

For now I will investigate motherboards somewhat better to see which motherboard can actually power such a 16 core beast.

I am kinda a fan of ASRock though I never used their motherboards for a long period, but what I like about their boards is "overheat" protection which some claim every motherboard has but I am not so sure about that.

Anyway their Tachi X570 motherboard and especially the RGB looks very good/amazing !

But there is one thing that truely disappoints me a lot and that's two things actually:

1. First of all it only has 1 ethernet port ?! WTF where they thinking ?! How the **** do I connect my old computer and new computer AND INTERNET ?! without having to use some ****ing complex router crap ?! Big problem there.

2. But what is even worse is it's only 1 gigabit ethernet ?! Again WTF ?!
How the **** I am supposed to transfer my 50 terrabyte of data from this new computer to my future computer in say 5 or 10 years when I might buy another one if I am still alive ?! HOLY**** ?!

Let's compute how long that would take with just 1 gigabit.

1 gigabit is roughly

1.000.000.000 / 10 = 100.000.000 byte transfer per second.

50 estimated terrabyte usage is:

54.975.581.388.800 bytes / 100.000.000 = 549756 seconds

549756 / 60 = 9162 minutes / 60 = 153 hours / 24 = 6.4 days !

HOLY ****ING ****.

If this were 10 gigabit ethernet then at least it would speed up 10 fold.

So then less of a day of transferring data.

This is very painfull.

Either it needs an extra ethernet card which could then get in the way of airflow and produce additional heat ?!

Also this board consumes the most watt/power, also little bit disappointed by that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ytKqN8j8A

Guy in video is hoping for an "ultimate tachi" addition.

So do I because this motherboard is simply not future proof.

****.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 9th 19, 01:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

WOW,

It's worse then I thought, almost all over their new X570 motherboard have the same intel crap ethernet ports of 1 gigabit/sec

Only the phantom has 2.5 gigabit/sec.

While the competition is at 10 gigabit/sec

This is definetly going to eat into their sales of these motherboards I think.

Anybody with half a brain and some research is not going to buy these boards if they want to be future-proof.

Even 10 Gigabit/sec for these new processors and motherboards is on the low side... only pci express lane is already near 2 gigabyte/secs which is roughly 10 gigabit/sec ethernet port.

So x570 motherboards with 100 gigabit/sec ethernet ports would probably have sold like warm bread or something.

Doesn't seem like any of these motherboard has it though.

So the market for 100 gigabit/sec ethernet cards for pci-express 4.0 will become very real in the near future, say a couple of years from now.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 9th 19, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Wow these 100 gigabit ethernet cards are still pretty pricey...

Better to wait for a few years and buy then... this does require the PC to be opened in the future and risking damage when installing it...

But such is PC life ! =D

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mellanox-Conn...ard/2079247824

Prices between 200 and 1000 dollars:

Part No. N64D3

QTY: PRICE:$175.00
Detailed Information | Link to Manufacturer DELL | Request a Quote
MCX555A-ECAT
Part No. MCX555A-ECAT
Description: MELLANOX MCX555A-ECAT CONNECTX-5 VPI ADAPTER CARD, EDR IB (100GB/S) AND 100GBE SINGLE-PORT QSFP28 PCIE3.0 X16 ROHS R6. NEW FACTORY SEALED. IN STOCK.

QTY: PRICE:$690.00
Detailed Information | MELLANOX | Request a Quote
825316-001
Part No. 825316-001

QTY: PRICE:$750.00
Detailed Information | Link to Manufacturer HP | Request a Quote
MCX556A-ECAT
Part No. MCX556A-ECAT

QTY: PRICE:$850.00
Detailed Information | MELLANOX | Request a Quote
MCX416A-CCAT
Part No. MCX416A-CCAT

QTY: PRICE:$867.00
Detailed Information | MELLANOX | Request a Quote
NHYP5
Part No. NHYP5

QTY: PRICE:$890.00
Detailed Information | Link to Manufacturer DELL | Request a Quote
XR0K2
Part No. XR0K2

QTY: PRICE:$890.00
Detailed Information | Link to Manufacturer DELL | Request a Quote
HWTYK
Part No. HWTYK

QTY: PRICE:$890.00

Other examples:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mellanox-Conn...ard/2079247824

(SOLD OUT kinda funny)
Mellanox Connectx-4 En Single Port 100 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Card
About this product
About this product
Product Identifiers

BRAND
Mellanox
MPN
MCX415ACCAT
eBay Product ID (ePID)
2079247824

Product Key Features

Model
MCX415A-CCAT
Type
Wired
Interface Card Type
Ethernet/ Network Cards

More items related to this product
MCX515A-CCAT Mellanox ConnectX-5 EN 100GbE Ethernet Adapter Card PCI-E QSFP28
item 1 MCX515A-CCAT Mellanox ConnectX-5 EN 100GbE Ethernet Adapter Card PCI-E QSFP28 -MCX515A-CCAT Mellanox ConnectX-5 EN 100GbE Ethernet Adapter Card PCI-E QSFP28
$340.00
Last one+$11.95 shipping
Mellanox MCX4431M-GCAN ConnectX-4 Lx EN Network Interface Card 50Gb Single port
item 2 Mellanox MCX4431M-GCAN ConnectX-4 Lx EN Network Interface Card 50Gb Single port -Mellanox MCX4431M-GCAN ConnectX-4 Lx EN Network Interface Card 50Gb Single port
$200.00
+$25.00 shipping
Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN Network Interface Card
item 3 Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN Network Interface Card -Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN Network Interface Card
$684.01
+$48.09 shipping
Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN MCX445N-CCAN Ethernet-Network Adapter 100Gb Single Port
item 4 Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN MCX445N-CCAN Ethernet-Network Adapter 100Gb Single Port -Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN MCX445N-CCAN Ethernet-Network Adapter 100Gb Single Port
$300.00
+$25.00 shipping
Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx EN CX4111A 25GbE Ethernet Adapter Card SFP28 PCI-E 25Gbps
item 5 Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx EN CX4111A 25GbE Ethernet Adapter Card SFP28 PCI-E 25Gbps -Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx EN CX4111A 25GbE Ethernet Adapter Card SFP28 PCI-E 25Gbps
$180.00
Last one+$9.95 shipping
MELLANOX TECHNOLOGIES, INC. MCX415A-BCAT CONNECTX-4 EN NETWORK INTERFACE CARD...
item 6 MELLANOX TECHNOLOGIES, INC. MCX415A-BCAT CONNECTX-4 EN NETWORK INTERFACE CARD... -MELLANOX TECHNOLOGIES, INC. MCX415A-BCAT CONNECTX-4 EN NETWORK INTERFACE CARD...
$392.12
+$22.39 shipping
Mellanox CX415A CONNECTX-4 100GbE 1-Port QSFP28 Network Adapter MCX415A-CCAT
item 7 Mellanox CX415A CONNECTX-4 100GbE 1-Port QSFP28 Network Adapter MCX415A-CCAT -Mellanox CX415A CONNECTX-4 100GbE 1-Port QSFP28 Network Adapter MCX415A-CCAT
$375.44
Free shipping
10Gtek for Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN 100GE Adapter Card NIC, Same as MCX415A-CCAT
item 8 10Gtek for Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN 100GE Adapter Card NIC, Same as MCX415A-CCAT -10Gtek for Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN 100GE Adapter Card NIC, Same as MCX415A-CCAT
$1,289.99
+$7.99 shipping

Bye for now,
Skybuck

Old July 9th 19, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

Desktops begin to saturate at some level.

Buying whizzy I/O or storage for them, isn't a total
mistake, but you're also not getting as big of a
benefit as should happen.

To me, 10GbE is "all I'll ever need", simply because
the OS won't be able to drive the I/O any faster than that.

It's partially to do with the need for OSes to redesign
the I/O stack so they can work better.

But the need for increased storage and isolation features,
means more and more of performance is wasted in "CPU cycle crap",
and you simply won't be able to push the I/O faster. Even
if the CPU had a 100 cores and 5GHz operation, the 10GbE will
still be the right card.

It's the same with NVMe storage. Sure, they'll put PCI Express Rev4
on it soon. You'll run one benchmark on it, see a high number.
And... that'll be it. The OS still won't write more than 4K files
per second to the device, because the NTFS stack is so bad. Your
storage will be no better than my SATA SSD. And that's sad.

*******

The company that made the $70-$100 10GbE cards has been
bought out. You can expect prices to rise back to
non-competitive levels. There's no particular reason
for including those chips on motherboards now.

The new game in town is probably RealTek (2.5Gbit chip?).
RealTek will keep their price low, and drive the other
company away. But... it's only 2.5Gbit/sec, so hardly
a big deal. It'll be the 8139 all over again.

*******

It should take you around 30 days of shopping, to arrive
at the perfect choice. Study your motherboards well, Obiwan.

Paul
Old July 9th 19, 02:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 04:58:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

This year I will probably buy a new computer, I will probably wait for the 16 core ryzen, I've wait 13 years to buy a new computer and somebody I know thinks I should wait 2 more months to get the 16 core part lol.

There's always something newer and better just around the corner. Sooner
or later, if you're going to buy, you just have to jump.

For now I will investigate motherboards somewhat better to see which motherboard can actually power such a 16 core beast.

I am kinda a fan of ASRock though I never used their motherboards for a long period, but what I like about their boards is "overheat" protection which some claim every motherboard has but I am not so sure about that.

Anyway their Tachi X570 motherboard and especially the RGB looks very good/amazing !

But there is one thing that truely disappoints me a lot and that's two things actually:

1. First of all it only has 1 ethernet port ?! WTF where they thinking ?! How the **** do I connect my old computer and new computer AND INTERNET ?! without having to use some ****ing complex router crap ?! Big problem there.

Use an Ethernet switch to connect the two computers together. Unmanaged
8-port gigabit switches start at less than $15. If you don't already
have a router, (why wouldn't you, though), you'll need that instead of
or in addition to the switch. Routers almost always have a switch built
in, usually a 4-port, just to get you started.

2. But what is even worse is it's only 1 gigabit ethernet ?! Again WTF ?!
How the **** I am supposed to transfer my 50 terrabyte of data from this new computer to my future computer in say 5 or 10 years when I might buy another one if I am still alive ?! HOLY**** ?!

Use USB3.1 if the other PC supports it, preferably Gen 2. That should
give you either 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps, depending on your particular
situation.

For a better data transfer experience, you can probably temporarily
install your data drives in the new PC so that they're 'local'. I moved
40TB of data that way, and another 6TB or so just over the usual Gig
ethernet link.

Old July 9th 19, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 7/9/2019 10:53 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

Let's talk about it when the price of 10G broadband plans could
challenge that of 1G plans.... 10G is definitely local/domestic speed only.

Broadband is irrelevant when discussing LAN architectures. Broadband is
WAN, a whole different animal.

It's still relevant because both WAN and LAN need Ethernet adapters!
Everything in the end comes down on prices of relevant technology!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
¤£*ɶU! ¤£¶BÄF! ¤£½ä¿ú! ¤£´©¥æ! ¤£¥´¥æ! ¤£¥´§T! ¤£¦Û±þ! ¤£¨D¯«!
½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):
Old July 9th 19, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 23:08:25 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

On 7/9/2019 10:53 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

Let's talk about it when the price of 10G broadband plans could
challenge that of 1G plans.... 10G is definitely local/domestic speed only.

Broadband is irrelevant when discussing LAN architectures. Broadband is
WAN, a whole different animal.

It's still relevant because both WAN and LAN need Ethernet adapters!

Huh?

Everything in the end comes down on prices of relevant technology!

??

Old July 9th 19, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 10:38:19 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Broadband is irrelevant when discussing LAN architectures. Broadband is
WAN, a whole different animal.

It's still relevant because both WAN and LAN need Ethernet adapters!

Huh?

Google says:

noun: broadband
high-capacity transmission technique using a wide range of frequencies

Notice "wide range of frequencies"

Google says:

Radio frequency (RF) refers to the rate of oscillation of
electromagnetic radio waves in the range of 3 kHz to 300 GHz,
as well as the alternating currents carrying the radio signals.
This is the frequency band that is used for communications
transmission and broadcasting.

Notice "frequency band"

Now put "wide range of frequencies" and "frequency band" together. That
works, since both have "frequency"

What do you get? Looks like BROAD (wide) BAND to me.