Cables Reproducing?

Old July 2nd 19, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default Cables Reproducing?

It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over the
world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your knowledge?
I just looked in the closet in my "office" and found a bag of unexplained
USB cables -- mostly A to B types -- that really shouldn't be there. I
already had a rack on one wall holding cables and I swear that there are
twice as many now as there were a year ago -- all sorts of cables, not just
USB but video, power, extenders, and who knows what else. I'm almost afraid
to look in the downstairs "closet of computing antiquity" for fear of what
will be there now.

What does on do with such excess? Does dumping them at the recycling center
help?
Old July 2nd 19, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

John McGaw wrote:
It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over
the world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your
knowledge? I just looked in the closet in my "office" and found a bag of
unexplained USB cables -- mostly A to B types -- that really shouldn't
be there. I already had a rack on one wall holding cables and I swear
that there are twice as many now as there were a year ago -- all sorts
of cables, not just USB but video, power, extenders, and who knows what
else. I'm almost afraid to look in the downstairs "closet of computing
antiquity" for fear of what will be there now.

What does on do with such excess? Does dumping them at the recycling
center help?

Some day, those cables will be a relic and hard to find.

The trick, is deciding which relic "has legs", and which
doesn't. I have SCSI cables now, that I know are as dead
as the dodo bird. And those cables were expensive too.

I bought about $50 of SATA cables, so I'd have some
power and data ones, and I've pretty well put them
all inside computers now. It's the inside of the
computer cases, which is no longer pretty. But it
solves the "storage problem".

Molex Y cables, you keep those, because they still
come in handy from an ampacity point of view. They make
better "trees" than the SATA Y cables do.

I would probably toss the USB ones that don't have a
shield inside (those were used for keyboards, at 1.5Mbit/sec).

*******

I checked on my electronics recycler a few days ago, only
to discover the site has been bulldozed and a residential
community is going there instead. Now I'll have to find
another place to "drop my scraps". They love cables,
because they get their weight in copper from them.

Paul
Old July 2nd 19, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 7/2/19 8:42 AM, John McGaw wrote:
It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over
the world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your
knowledge? I just looked in the closet in my "office" and found a bag of
unexplained USB cables -- mostly A to B types -- that really shouldn't
be there. I already had a rack on one wall holding cables and I swear
that there are twice as many now as there were a year ago -- all sorts
of cables, not just USB but video, power, extenders, and who knows what
else. I'm almost afraid to look in the downstairs "closet of computing
antiquity" for fear of what will be there now.

What does on do with such excess? Does dumping them at the recycling
center help?

Keep male and female cables separate!
Old July 2nd 19, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 09:42:57 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over the
world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your knowledge?
I just looked in the closet in my "office" and found a bag of unexplained
USB cables -- mostly A to B types -- that really shouldn't be there. I
already had a rack on one wall holding cables and I swear that there are
twice as many now as there were a year ago -- all sorts of cables, not just
USB but video, power, extenders, and who knows what else. I'm almost afraid
to look in the downstairs "closet of computing antiquity" for fear of what
will be there now.

What does on do with such excess? Does dumping them at the recycling center
help?

I feel your pain.
And I solved this with....
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...raid-enclosure
..... and mine has now 7 HDDs. Connectrion is with a single USB3
cable to the computer and one power cord to the wall (albeit too
short).
No more wretched molex catenaries and Sata connectors that all produce
a rat's nest of tangle.
Old July 2nd 19, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/2/2019 1:05 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

I don't think that will work. Clearly parthenogenesis is involved since all
of the USB cables are the same gender at each end and they seem to be
reproducing the most quickly.
Old July 4th 19, 10:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 3/07/2019 9:38 AM, Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Now I need to find a New Zealand supplier of those and save some money to buy one. So much better
solution than my three 2-bay Orico USB3 'docks'.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 4th 19, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

[...]

So I found this and figured that, as it's less than half of the price of the 8 HDD version and I
can get one now without saving (and another later..) this might be the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X26VV4/ref=psdc_160354011_t1_B005GYDMYG

However it says that it doesn't support '4Kn Native Drives'. I don't think I have any of those (not
sure how to tell, can't find it on HDD Sentinel's 'Information" tab. It just says 4096 bytes per
sector [Advanced Format] for my HDDs.. The highest capacity drive I have at the moment is 4TB.

Is this likely to be a problem for me, now or in the near future? I'm glad I saw that, I was just
about to order one.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 4th 19, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/2/2019 5:38 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

I don't really have a huge problem with cables when they are in use. It is
just that those that aren't in use seem to keep multiplying

I'll admit that in my "server room" in the basement the chrome bakery rack
holding four computers, two monitors, keyboard, mouse, and two big UPSs
does look a bit messy when it is rolled out but even with a KVM there is
only so much one can do to keep neat. Otherwise I manage to keep things
pretty tidy. I really only use a single always-connected external drive, my
backup which cycles through four units with the latest always in the bank's
vault. Of course I guess one might consider my two Drobo network storage
units to be external drives but they live in a closet and are never seen or
touched for months on end.
Old July 4th 19, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

You can buy 4Kn (native) drives. Windows 10 might even
support one. However, the tool flow for working with those
is likely a "server guy" kinda thing. The tools I've consulted
make 4Kn look like a dead end.

outside inside-format
512n 512 512 # WDC Gold 1TB,2TB,4TB, can still buy
# Good choice for WinXP, not essential
# for Vista+

512e 512 4096 # Most common modern format

4Kn 4096 4096 # Think about how this screws up the MBR...
# And how your average tool won't know what
# to do.

For the most part, sites like Newegg try not to sell 4Kn drives
to consumers. They're not promoted as strongly as they could
be. And as far as I'm concerned, "they're a trap".

The 512e type, is perfectly adequate, and would be
supported in just about anything, because it is
"512 emulated" and emulated to the outside world,
exactly what things need to see.

If you install Windows 10 on a 4Kn, then chances
are your first surprise comes when you use
Partition Management tools.

I don't even have a 4Kn to test.
Couldn't see the point of it.

Paul
Old July 5th 19, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 5/07/2019 2:31 AM, Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

.... and mine has now 7 HDDs.Â*Â* Connectrion is with a single USB3
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* outsideÂ*Â* inside-format
512nÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 512Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 512Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # WDC Gold 1TB,2TB,4TB, can still buy
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # Good choice for WinXP, not essential
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # for Vista+

512eÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 512Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 4096Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # Most common modern format

4KnÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 4096Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 4096Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # Think about how this screws up the MBR...
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # And how your average tool won't know what
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # to do.

For the most part, sites like Newegg try not to sell 4Kn drives
to consumers. They're not promoted as strongly as they could
be. And as far as I'm concerned, "they're a trap".

The 512e type, is perfectly adequate, and would be
supported in just about anything, because it is
"512 emulated" and emulated to the outside world,
exactly what things need to see.

If you install Windows 10 on a 4Kn, then chances
are your first surprise comes when you use
Partition Management tools.

I don't even have a 4Kn to test.
Couldn't see the point of it.

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks Paul. So there's little chance I'll have an issue with this enclosure not working with a HDD
I'm likely to buy then. I'll order one.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"