How do I get my onboard video to auto detect

Old March 19th 12, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default How do I get my onboard video to auto detect

I am trying to hook my onboard video port to a HDTV. It doesn't work.

I am using a graphics card to drive my HDMI Monitor. If I plug the
cable that is plugged into the graphics card into the onboard video
port, the monitor goes black like the onboard video is not working.

http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0

I have all the mobo drivers installed.
Old March 19th 12, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
I am trying to hook my onboard video port to a HDTV. It doesn't work.

I am using a graphics card to drive my HDMI Monitor. If I plug the
cable that is plugged into the graphics card into the onboard video
port, the monitor goes black like the onboard video is not working.

http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0

I have all the mobo drivers installed.

What is the motherboard make and model ?

Your screenshot suggests the motherboard is a Gigabyte one, but I
don't see a model number.

Due to the varying architectures now used for motherboards, I
also need to know the exact processor model as well. Like
say i7-2352 or whatever. If possible, you could point me
to a page on ark.intel.com

In this example, you can see some second generation Core i5,
with table entries indicating HD3000 graphics. That's why
I need to know the processor model.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59134

If it's an AMD processor, some of those are similar to Intel
now, and have an APU inside. And that's useful to know as
well. You can drill down into the AMD product line here,
but your results may be harder to quote effectively. (Rather
than just trust a copy and paste of the eventual URL, copy
the model number as well and paste that just in case.)

http://products.amd.com/en-us/

For example, this is the URL for an AMD A8-3800, after I've snipped
the "junk" off the URL.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...ail.aspx?id=17

In some cases, by sheer accident, a user manages to build a
computer up from parts, and there is *no* onboard graphics
core to drive the connectors. That's what I'm checking here,
is that "all the plumbing" needed is present :-) At one
time, if a motherboard had a "G" in the chipset name,
that's all you needed to know. Now, it isn't that simple...

Paul
Old March 19th 12, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:27:29 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Mobo
Chip
Graphic card

It is possible that the graphic port was destroyed by lightning. I
thought that lightning had taken out my HDMI ports on my TV, but it
may have taken out my Directv box, my computer port and my WDTV live
ports all at once instead. All the devices still work, but none seem
to be able to display HDMI.

I just tried my HDMI ports on the TV with a laptop that was not
involved in the lightning strike and the ports are working.
Old March 19th 12, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:33:23 -0400, wrote:

I am trying to hook my onboard video port to a HDTV. It doesn't work.

I am using a graphics card to drive my HDMI Monitor. If I plug the
cable that is plugged into the graphics card into the onboard video
port, the monitor goes black like the onboard video is not working.

http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0

I have all the mobo drivers installed.

I am so glad the problem was me again and not lightning. There were
more drivers to install. I did not do this.

Thanks everyone
Old March 19th 12, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

OK, I think I see the problem.

Check the manual. Under "Onboard VGA" on page 46, there
are two options

"Enable If No Ext PEG" (Default)
"Always Enable"

Since your 6970 counts as "PEG", it causes the onboard
to be disabled (when the Default setting is being used).
But if you switch to "Always Enable', then the BIOS will
no longer care about the status of "PEG".

In your current scenario, you want "Always Enable", so
both the 6990 and the motherboard HD3000 display
capabilities are on at the same time. Then, once
you do that, a new Device Manager entry for HD3000
should show up. If you never ran the motherboard without
the 6970, you might not have bothered installing a driver
for HD3000. So once you do "Always Enable", you'll need
either the motherboard CD driver for HD3000, or a visit
to Intel download site, to find a fresh driver. Or even
Gigabyte might have one for you.

Paul