Acronis 11- is it dangerous?

Old February 25th 08, 04:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joe

Default Acronis 11- is it dangerous?

I just bought Acronis "True Image 11 Home" and read the 120 page pdf manual.
I'm blown away with how powerful the program is. I haven't yet installed the
program but will soon. Since the program is so powerful, I'm afraid I'll hit
the wrong button somewhere and cause some damage to the system. Or, since
the program can make major changes to the file system- if it's buggy, it
could blow up the system.

Am I being paranoid or is there any real danger? I'm using Vista on a new
high end Dell which as of now seems very stable. I installed a 500 gig hard
drive for video editing and as a place for backups, but now that I've read
the manual, I think I'll also get an external USB drive for backups.

Joe

Old February 25th 08, 06:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Joe wrote:

I just bought Acronis "True Image 11 Home" and read the 120 page pdf manual. I'm blown away with how powerful the
program is. I haven't yet installed the program but will soon. Since the program is so powerful, I'm afraid I'll hit
the wrong button somewhere and cause some damage to the system.

Cant see any area where you can do that except that like with
any imager, you can obviously restore an old image that wont
work to your system without an image of the current system,
so you cant go back to the known working system etc.

Or, since the program can make major changes to the file system- if it's buggy, it could blow up the system.

Yes, thats theoretically possible with any imager
or backup program if the restore doesnt work.

But with TI, there's a decent support forum so you would be able
to see that plenty have problems with it before you use it yourself.

Am I being paranoid

Yes.

or is there any real danger?

Just the obvious one I mentioned at the top that any imager has.

I'm using Vista on a new high end Dell which as of now seems very stable. I installed a 500 gig hard drive for video
editing and as a place for backups, but now that I've read the manual, I think I'll also get an external USB drive for
backups.

Yeah, its very handy. And having plenty of storage to write images to
minimises the risk that you wont have a current image of the working
system to return to if you do stuff things up with a restore restoring
what you thought was a working system but which is a dud one etc.

Old March 7th 08, 08:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Backspace

Joe wrote:
I just bought Acronis "True Image 11 Home" and read the 120 page pdf
manual.
I'm blown away with how powerful the program is. I haven't yet installed
the
program but will soon. Since the program is so powerful, I'm afraid I'll
hit
the wrong button somewhere and cause some damage to the system. Or, since
the program can make major changes to the file system- if it's buggy, it
could blow up the system.

Am I being paranoid or is there any real danger? I'm using Vista on a new
high end Dell which as of now seems very stable. I installed a 500 gig hard
drive for video editing and as a place for backups, but now that I've read
the manual, I think I'll also get an external USB drive for backups.

Joe

I used v11 to create a secure zone on the Vista HDD and after doing a
backup and rebooting to load up Vista it wouldn't load because it
claimed a boot file was missing. Had to use my Vista disk to repair it
and then it was ok. Didn't happen when I did the same thing on XP. I
complained to Acronis about it and they just told me to do what I had
already done to fix it. I don't see any great benefit to me of v11 over
v10. Sure a few new features but nothing I will ever use. They added a
HDD wipe utility but there are quite a few of those you can get for free
already.

SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Storage (alternative) 3 December 4th 05 12:46 PM
Dangerous test or not ? Chris Overclocking 7 October 12th 05 11:49 PM
How Dangerous?? Radith General 5 September 11th 04 07:40 PM
Capacitors in PSU are dangerous? Ken Reynolds General 191 April 22nd 04 01:23 AM
Capacitors in PSU are dangerous? Niel Humphreys Homebuilt PC's 4 April 16th 04 08:44 AM