NEC Plans Yonah Laptop

Old December 22nd 05, 04:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default NEC Plans Yonah Laptop

NEC Plans Yonah Laptop

Next year's lineup includes system running Intel's forthcoming
dual-core mobile technology.

Martyn Williams, IDG News Service
Tuesday, December 20, 2005

NEC -- disclosed plans on Monday for its first laptop computer based
on Intel's Yonah dual-core mobile processor.

Yonah is the code-name for the dual-core version of Intel's Pentium M
processor for notebooks and small desktops. The chip is scheduled for
release in the first quarter of 2006 and is expected to be one of
Intel's main new products for next year.

Laptop Specs

The Lavie RX LR900 laptop was announced with NEC's new year PC lineup,
which was announced the same day. The company disclosed full technical
details for the computer with the exception of the processor and
chipset. For the CPU it listed only Yonah and the chipset, Mobile
Intel 945 Express family.

NEC said the LR900 will be based on Windows XP Home Edition, come with
512MB of main memory and a 100GB hard disk drive. It will have a
14.1-inch LCD, DVD Super Multi drive (DVD-R/+R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW/+RW),
802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. The machine will weigh about 4.4
pounds and the battery will provide enough power to last about four
hours.

NEC intends to put the machine on sale sometime in 2006 priced around
$1945 in its basic configuration, said Susumu Sakamoto, a spokesperson
for NEC in Tokyo.

Laptop Competition Heats

That the company is working on a Yonah-based laptop is no surprise.
NEC is one of Intel's biggest customers in Japan and the nation's
leading PC maker, largely with notebook computers. It enjoyed a 20
percent market share in the first half of 2005, according to an
estimate released Tuesday by IDC Japan.

Fujitsu was ranked the number two PC vendor with an 18 percent share
ahead of Dell, which had 12 percent; Toshiba scored 9 percent; and
Hewlett-Packard, 6 percent, according to the IDC figures.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...122005X,00.asp

====
"I don't care (if I get booed). I don't know any of those people. As long as my kids tell me that they love me, I'm fine. My motto is, when people talk about me, I say, 'Who are they? They're not God.' If God was out there booing me, I'd be upset."
-- Bonzi Wells, Sacramento Kings
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

A S-Video connection fried both my laptop and TV! Help needed! [email protected] General 2 March 2nd 05 07:31 PM
Gaming Laptop Quaoar Homebuilt PC's 0 July 20th 04 03:06 PM
HD boots from desktop but "Invalid System Disk" error on laptop? Anonymous Jack General Hardware 1 November 24th 03 02:43 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 1 July 12th 03 09:38 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 0 July 12th 03 05:11 PM