Problem saving screen profile file.

Old October 1st 16, 03:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

Default Problem saving screen profile file.

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 00:54:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, 9 August 2015 14:46:36 UTC+10, Eric Stevens wrote:
I have a Dell XPS 8300 fitted with an i7. I am running Windows 7/64
bit which as far as I know is fully updated. Certainly it is service
pack 1. My major use of the machine is processing photographic images.

For may years I have been keeping my screen profiles calibrated using
the DataColor Spyder. I used the Spyder 4 Pro quite succesfully for a
long time, until about mid June this year I found that every time I
tried to save the profile after a new calibration I received the
single-line message

"SaveProfileUsingCM.DeleteFile failed
[C:Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color\name.icm"

Where name is the chosen name of the profile.

About a month ago I installed a Spyder 5 Pro, and I still have the
same problem. I have been in touch with DataColor but so far they have
not been able to come up with anything that helps.

Today I have spent several hours experimenting with all kinds of
possible variables but none of my trials have enabled me to save a
profile. I always end up with the failure message. About all I have
not done is invoke the command "net user administrator /active:yes"

Changing the name of the profile has no effect. I have tried some
ridiculous names and it is not likely that they all are under use by
other software so a conflict or trying to delete a file that is
already in use does not seem to be the explanation.

I have disabled the relevant parts of my McAfee anti-virus software.

I have explored file permissions and changed those of my original
profile to include me as administrator.

I have followed the Datacolor instructions for completely deleting all
traces of Spyder, including removing all profiles associated with my
monitors from the Windows color manager. I then reinstalled Spyder.

I have installed and run Spyder 5 Pro immediately after creating an
entirely new user with administrator privileges and virtually no
startup software.

None of these things have had any effect.

I first encountered this problem in mid June whhen I was still using
Spyder 4 Pro. The problem has continued with Spyder 5 Pro. This
suggests that it arises from a body of code which is common to both
Spyder 4 and Spyder 5. Unfortunately I don't know enough to suggest
what it might be.

I have used Spyder products for many years without any problems,
including Spyder 4. It is likely that the problem arises from a change
made by other software. I have all sorts of software which updates
itself automatically and it is possible that the problem arises from
one of these. The only software I have which might want to take over
part of the color management is iTunes, Adobe CC and Windows.

It is possible that iTunes may have updated in the month before the
problem started, but I don't really know. I don't think it will be
Adobe CC as, as far as I can remember, there had been no updates for
some months until the arrival of CC 2015 about a week ago. Finally,
there is Windows. Windows updates almost very Thursday and sometimes
on days in between. If any outside software is likely to have
triggered this problem, Windows would be my chief suspect.

Finally, there is the Microsoft Community post at
http://tinyurl.com/nsrqlaa. This suggests that I am not alone with
this problem. I was interested to note that the writer was using a
Dell XPS laptop. I am using a Dell XPS 8300 desk top. Is this a
coincidence? I've had no changes or updates as far as I know.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

You've probably fixed the problem, but for others here's a workaround:

Go to: C:Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color\name.icm

Make a backup copy of the file and delete the original.

Once successful you can delete the backup copies you've made. There will be new versions saved.

Not sure why this happens. Folder permissions perhaps.

I'm all fixed now. My problem stemmed from an unpublicised change in
W7. All I had to was to start up Spyder with a right-click on the icon
and chose run as administrator. I thought I was already running as
administrator but now there are two classes of administrator and with
change I was bumped to the lower class. Running Spyder so as to save
the profile meant that I had to promote myself by taking the extra
step.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old September 10th 17, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Go to system32 and locate the Spyder profile. Rename it (just add a .bak) a pop up will appear saying impossible to rename and will indicate the program that is using it (for me it was Google photo uploader). Close this program, run Spyder again and enjoy
Old January 7th 18, 02:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi Eric,

Now that´s a useful answer!
Works for me, phhheww

Old April 14th 19, 03:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 5:52:30 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Hi Eric,

Now that´s a useful answer!
Works for me, phhheww

I'm all fixed now. My problem stemmed from an unpublicised change in
W7. All I had to was to start up Spyder with a right-click on the icon
and chose run as administrator. I thought I was already running as
administrator but now there are two classes of administrator and with
change I was bumped to the lower class. Running Spyder so as to save
the profile meant that I had to promote myself by taking the extra
step.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

This is a bit late to the party, but I found a solution that doesn't require elevated privileges. I'm posting this for anyone that comes across this thread with the same issue. Granted, it may not work for everyone but I was getting the same error as OP and it worked in my case. Spyder is trying to change/delete a file in Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color and can't do it because there is a service called Display Enhancement Service which manages display enhancement such as brightness control. Disable this service, and Spyder will then be able to save the .icm file(s). Hope this helps.
-Erik-
Old August 11th 19, 05:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Running a Spyder4 Pro on a W10 64bit system and can't save the profile. I tried the solutions above with no luck and so defaulted to a fix I've used in the past being a simple profile name of "mark" rather than the default "Dell XPS 9550". No spaces, numbers, etc. Worked right away.

Saving files to CD and retaining original file dates Dolphin~Smile Cdr 5 November 22nd 07 05:38 PM
Saving Overscan and Screen Adjustments between Resolution changes. Paul Mathews Nvidia Videocards 0 November 18th 06 10:04 PM
Saving Overscan and Screen Positions how ? Home Theatre Guy Nvidia Videocards 0 June 8th 06 04:42 PM
Saving a Bios file EB Dell Computers 1 January 11th 05 10:57 PM
Gateway Profile 2 screen JW Gateway Computers 1 October 25th 04 09:18 PM