"Ransomwa How to Prevent Being Attacked and Recover After anAttack"

Old April 18th 19, 07:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Ransomwa How to Prevent Being Attacked and Recover After anAttack"

"Ransomwa How to Prevent Being Attacked and Recover After an Attack"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/compl...de-ransomware/

I hope that I never get any of this on me.

Lynn
Old April 18th 19, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Ransomwa How to Prevent Being Attacked and Recover After an Attack"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/compl...de-ransomware/

I hope that I never get any of this on me.

Lynn

Comes down to having safe backups which means they cannot be reachable
by the hosts; that is, removable media or passworded FTP/cloud storage.
Along with bootable media to run the backup program outside the affected
OS.

I use an internal HDD to store local copies of the image backups along
with Macrium's Image Guardian to prevent anything from renaming,
deleting, or overwriting the backup files. I use a USB-attached HDD to
mirror the backup HDD to the USB HDD. While the internal and USB HDDs
are detectable by looking in the registry to get a list of mountpoints
(what you see running "mountvol" in a command shell), Image Guardian has
proven effective against unauthorized access, even against me, although
I know of a scenario where it could be thwarted. I also zip up my data
files and put into cloud storage. Once a month, or more often, I save a
full image backup to USB flash drive(s). I cycle through 2 USB drives,
so I have one later backup than the one that I'm saving. That gives me
offline backups. If these were business computers, I'd do offline
backups more often or incorporate passworded sFTP.

As the article states, backups are your defense against ransomware but
as a recovery scheme. The article never does address how to PREVENT the
ransomware attack in the first place. Google helps with that.