DVDRW Packet writing software?

Old October 1st 03, 05:05 PM
Jeff

Default DVDRW Packet writing software?

Hi all!
I recently bought a Sony DRU 510A DVD burner so I could start using
DVDR/RW's.
This complements the drives I already have - Yamaha CRW2200E cd burner
and Liton DVD/CD drive.
Running Win98se. Previously I used Nero6 with Incd4 for packet
writing. I understood these should also work with DVDR/RW's.
Problem was that neither Nero or Incd would recognize my new DRU 510A.
So I uninstalled them and installed the s/w that came with the drive -
RecordNow DX and DLA.
Both work with all drives but DLA is a pain in the butt.
After starting the pc, I can't access any of the drives. If I try to
run a program that uses a cd in the drive, I get the "drive not
accessible" message. I can't even eject the cd using the eject button
on the drive.
They only way is to go into My Computer or Windows Explorer and click
on each drive and then it's OK (assumming it has a cd/dvd in it).
Even then it's sometimes iffy and I don't see the label of the cd next
to the drive letter even though I see it's contents.
Sometime it the past I thought I had a problem with Incd and got into
the habit of disabling it at startup and just clicking on a shrtcut to
incd.exe when I needed it. Worked great.
Can't seem to to this with DLA.
Is there any other stand-alone packet writing software out there that
works with DVDRW's?

Jeff
Old October 1st 03, 06:39 PM
Dan G

Update Nero to version 5.5.10.42, it should work. Though use of packet
writing is not often recommended, especially with DVDRW.

om...

Old October 1st 03, 09:23 PM
smh

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Try Nero/InCD Clean Tool, and then uninstall/reinstall RecordNow/DLA.

Nero CleanTool
ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/Nero-CleanTool.zip

InCD Clean Tool
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631938356212815.html
Old October 1st 03, 10:53 PM
Trev

"Dan G" wrote in message
: Update Nero to version 5.5.10.42, it should work. Though use of packet
: writing is not often recommended, especially with DVDRW.
:
:
That the opposite. DVD+ RW is far more stable then CD-RW and a damm site
faster.
As for Nero. If it was bundled with the RW drive as OEM then it will
only work with that drive. You need to purchase a full licence to unlock
it

Old October 1st 03, 11:31 PM
Dan G

Actually, there have been many problems with DVDRW and packet writing
software, and considering the price of DVDRW media, losing a few discs is a
big deal. Saying that DVD is "far more stable" is like saying that a clean
pig is better than a dirty one. It's still a pig.
Also, there are no bundled versions of Nero 6 as far as I know, only Nero
Express.

Old October 1st 03, 11:48 PM
Jeff

Dan,
So you recommend I *downgrade* from Nero 6?
I've never had a problem packet writing to CDRW before. Is there
anything special about using DVDRW's?

Old October 2nd 03, 01:15 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Some in these cdr groups swear by the following:

"cd-rw is less reliable than cd-r, thus cd-rw is unreliable"
"cd-rw is the least reliable media, thus cd-rw is unreliable"

"Packet writing is less reliable than mastering,
thus packet writing is unreliable"

"Packet writing is the least reliable format,
thus packet writing is unreliable"

"DirectCD bugs translate into the faults of packet writing"
"DirectCD bugs translate into unreliability of cd-rw media"

Notes:
------
DirectCD does not conform to the UDF standard.
DirectCD does not set the UDF standard.
DirectCD is not the UDF standard.

Incompatibility with DCD does not translate that other packet writers
have bugs or do not conform to the UDF standard.

Old October 2nd 03, 05:33 AM
Dan G

The problems are in the software and drivers for the software. I don't
recommend you use packet writing at all. If your version of Nero came with
another drive, it won't work with the Sony unless you buy a retail license.
DLA is well known for problems with DVDRW discs, not being able to erase
them is one common one. All the packet writing wares have one problem or
another.

om...

Old October 2nd 03, 09:48 PM
Tim Kroesen

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment, Libel and SPAMMING via
repetitive posting of the same material Thousands of times.

;

Additional references to portals that have recently banned this
psychotic for Stalking, Harassment and SPAM should you require
additional
information.

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: DVDRW Packet writing software?

Old October 2nd 03, 11:02 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

Looks like someone with to much time on their hands is attempting to
attack my business computer by posting malicious viri...(HA HA HA)

I'm laughing because of my system invulnerability!

However the FBI isn't so humorous as this is a Felony; they are
currently monitoring all such posts for analysis of the sender's ID. I
assure whoever this may be of several facts; you will be found and
prosecuted both Criminally and Civilly.

The reason I posted this notice here is because I have every reason to
believe this malicious idiot inhabits this group; as several attacks
have also contained 'cc'd' addy's of other group members.

So keep em' coming fool; your day of reckoning is at hand.

..

Yet more promises, Timmy?

(1) BTW, what's the status of this case, Timmy?

====================
From: Tim Kroesen
Subject: Deirdre' Straughan (cRoxio) is a Liar (daddy)(ii)
Date: 7/11/03

Impersonations, Transmittal of Obscene material, Transmittal of a
destructive virus, etc... As my business is operated from my home
business computer, any attack on it is a specified Felony.

Today's email contained Five items filtered as virus infected;
all as usual have been forwarded to my local FBI office and agent
handling the case. I wonder who's going to be keeping house for
King Kong to pay my tab...?
====================

(2) And whatever became of the SIX complaints you filed with the FBI,
Timmy?

======================
From: Timmy Kroesen
Subject: Timmy Kroesen ("net-Kook") Demands!
Date: 6/13/02

Make that Six...
======================

(3) And whatever became of these promises of yours, Timmy?

Timmy Kroesen (net-Trash) wrote:
"smh" ...
Timmy Kroesen (net-Kook) wrote:

We're working on it Asshole...Play your game.

Why then pine about "demand" for the id?
Are there problems, Timmy?

No problems ****wit; I promise you'll get your due.

Promises, promises, Timmy. Let see, today is (12/12/01). Do I have
to wait seven (7) more months for your yet another empty promise?

From: Timmy Kroesen (Net-Trash)
Date: (5/18/01)

... this perp WILL be outed ...

Let see, today is (9/23/03). Do I have to wait TWO more YEARS, Timmy?