The Power and The Horror

Old May 11th 19, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default The Power and The Horror

Something of anomaly the XLS DriveCore technology in a Class D
configuration, it goes beyond difficult loads --

At a 2-ohm SPKR load it runs from 550-1200W over the course of four
models within the same series nomenclature.

(Bridged would be 1100-2400W at 4-ohm.)

I'm running a modern 4-ohm at 350Watts, although, practically very
much so, as the monitors are intended for 120Watts ("bookshelf"
convention of medium dimensions).

Although I do have 8-ohm larger, branded entry-bookshelves monitors,
at 215-440W, that I can handle at this model's 215W rating;- I prefer
pairing the 4-ohm monitors for the time being. (My vintage amp, though
capable of 4ohms, was not of conventions at that time generally
accorded 8ohm speakers.)

Also, in the Class-D amp's CMOS, is the provision for pro or consumer
input impedance -- .775Vrms or 1.4Vrms, i.e. Sensitivity (at a default
"factory reset" to 1.4rms).

I switched it to .775Vrms after reading some hundred more reviews,
than at the time I bought mine, since added.

I also turned on the amp's PWR MTRs, previously off due to a
redundancy of a MIXER's final out LEDs, as well a direct parallel
connection to output terminals, I have in the form of a power meter,
switchable between a specificity of 2- to 200-Watts (spurious PEAK).

My player, FOOBAR, I've lowered to a base reference, within an
"envelope" iZotope Ozone 5 Advanced VST module: Portrayed for two
polar quadrants, depicted over a semicircle, within containing an
adjustable stereo signal and dispersion characteristics. It's a form
of gain limiting, where signals that approach, driven by PWR to
intersect an upper circular ellipse, can be defined for compression or
hard-limiting. I've lowered the input to a greater certainty not to
exceed an overall, and consequence, of dynamics present between "soft
or loud" passages.

An end result, either at .775Vrms or 1.4Vrms input staging, is that
FOOBAR, an audio player, is effectively pegged within a first of four
or five amp LEDs (three, with probably a yellow caution to another red
clipping condition).

Whereas a discernable and resultant volume at near parity, when played
through an (sic) intended VID player, the Korean DUAM/POTPLAYER,
displays at that same first PWR register LED, a normal indicative of
flashing corresponding to significance in signal PWR fluxes.

Of course, to be sure, there are quiet ranges (-60DB) within the music
no less FOOBAR reproduces, yet while that LED never deviates, to
always say lit, would seem to elude its purpose. And there are no
noise issues involved, at least that I can discern.

(Reference: two DAC to analogue converters, split two ways off the
soundboard, as well the soundboard DAC unit, provide MIXER inputs;-
MIXER outputs pathed to two (dual tube) buffer [pre]amplifiers,
directly before a two-amp input array. (One DAC is modulated from
LIMITER/COMPRESSOR unit output to the MIXER, whereas the other DAC is
not: Both DAC units, neither contain the same receiver DAC unit chip
brandbane.)

HAM Radio [& The Horror of it All] Flasherly[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 14 April 24th 14 11:33 AM
Horror Internet Feralisson PC Soundcards 0 October 5th 08 10:03 PM
The XP SP2 Horror to come. TR Gateway Computers 41 September 7th 04 12:13 PM
The XP SP2 Horror to come. TR Printers 3 August 18th 04 04:43 PM
RMA horror at Aria technology Steve UK Computer Vendors 15 July 6th 03 11:23 PM