Acer 800 LCI Motherboard / Repair Outfit Help

Old August 4th 04, 11:57 AM
Preet

Default Acer 800 LCI Motherboard / Repair Outfit Help

Hi,

My Acer 800 lci laptop has suddenly started showing a very garbled
display on bootup so that nothing on the screen can be read correctly.
All of the characters and graphics on the screen are "pixelated" (if
that is even a word ) and cannot be recognized at all. Even in Windows
there are multiple vertical lines on the screen and all displays are
garbled up completely.

Searching on the net I have found out that this may be a Graphics card
issue. Now again as far as I could find out, the graphics cards on
laptops cannot be replaced ( please please someone prove me wrong on
this) without replacing the entire motherboard.

In either case I do need to get the machine back to a working
condition. I am currently in the UK. I would be very grateful if
someone could help me out on some of the following:

Please note that the laptop is not under warranty and I would like to
keep a limit on expenses if possible.

1. Is there a way to replace only the graphics card or does one really
have to replace the motherboard.

2. For the 800 lci model, where can I find a motherboard/mainboard so
that the graphics card can be replaced/repaired. ( I am trying to get
in touch with Acer UK but so far no one seems to be reachable by
telephone). Is it possible to get it from overseas..?

3. Can anyone give me the details of a reliable and reasonably cheap
laptop repair outfit in the UK (preferably near London) who could do
these repairs.

4. Are there any steps I can take to prevent this happening again, I
am not a gamer (at all) and usually dont run any 3D stuff. The only
multimedia on the laptop are movies and music sometimes.

5. Most Importantly... does anyone have any idea as to how much it
will cost??

Any further information about the process above will be very welcome
and appreciated as I _really_ do not have much idea about this.. being
a very new laptop owner.

Thanks again.

Regards