How to stop system attempting to boot from external hard drive?

Old January 14th 05, 11:58 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default How to stop system attempting to boot from external hard drive?

I've just bought a Maxtor OneTouch II (yes, I know, but it did receive a
good review in PC Format, and that's good enough for me!) Anyway, if I leave
it on during boot, the system (for reasons I hope someone will make clear)
sees it as the first boot device and attempts to boot from it which, of
course, results in "operating system not found" or "NTLDR not found". I have
been through the BIOS (AMI - and I'm using the latest revision) with a fine
toothed comb, and there is no setting - the boot order is *STILL* set to TX
ARRAY/CD/FLOPPY as it always has been and there doesn't appear to be any
settings for booting from a USB device (the unit is connected via a USB2
hub). I have RTFMs (both for the drive and the motherboard - SK8V) and
there's nothing to address this.

How do I move the drive to the bottom of the pile? I will *NOT* remember to
turn it off before rebooting!

Thanks

--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Old January 14th 05, 03:36 PM
kony

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:58:58 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

[...]

Report it to Asus and wait for a bios update?
Old January 15th 05, 03:46 AM
techumseh

its probably "hidden" in the BIOS...im running a phoenix BIOS here
thats 4 years old and it supports "boot from USB" devices...
now maybe your AMI dosent show it..but the instruction set is in there
or this wouldnt be happening..that said
so what to do...
im guessing but ill wager if you format the external as fat32
it will stop trying but this is less then satisfactory.
bitch at asus but that seems it might take a while???
im rather suspicious of the new maxtor myself....does it
have any firmware you can access? try removing the hub link
in the USB chain..re plug the maxtor into USB port directly?
same crap? call maxtor for sure...i doubt its your BIOS
if it is id like to know..holler! and gimmie the ver.rev.# too
if it is.

System clock resets on boot (XP) Prizm General 1 December 21st 04 03:28 PM
New system won't boot windows. Adelphia General 20 May 7th 04 02:43 AM
Promise S150 SX4 hangs whole system during system boot (POST)... Plz help! Morten General 1 March 4th 04 11:39 PM
dual boot system DJS0302 General 5 January 5th 04 02:01 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM