The most powerful Pc?

Old January 10th 05, 11:02 PM
Veritech

Default The most powerful Pc?

Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?

I'll start with

4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

Old January 11th 05, 12:00 AM
J. Clarke

Veritech wrote:

Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?

I'll start with

4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

From the small size of the array I take it that a 28-Xeon blade server is
out of the question?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old January 11th 05, 07:26 AM
Veritech

I was think about the best you could fit in your average atx case, not
"super" servers, but every little helps, lol.

Old January 11th 05, 01:31 PM
Luc Monod

I've had an amazing workstation in the past (for the times) it was
upgradeable at nauseum...
it was all centered on a SERVER mother board! ATX form factor fits most
towers
ASUS CUV-4X-DLS:
1 or 2 P3 1.13GHz
up to 4 GB RAM
Intel LAN controller
2 UDMA (4 IDE drives)
33MHz Dual channel Ultra160 SCSI (another 30 drives if you ever need the
room)
5 PCI ports
1 AGP 4x/AGP pro

we had 5 of them at work, most were running with 1 cpu, more active users
had 2 (me ).
I still think server/workstation boards are the way to go if you want to be
able to keep the same mobo for a long time. Multiple CPUs will always allow
you to upgrade the speed of your system (less and less apps are not
multi-threadable).

Old January 11th 05, 02:13 PM
J. Clarke

Luc Monod wrote:

[...]

I think a "workstation" board would be a better bet than a "server" board,
for the time being anyway. The reason for this is that "server" boards
generally have no video slot. With PCI Express to some extent removing the
distinction between "regular" and "video" slots that should change, but I'm
not sure there are many server boards available as yet with PCI Express.

Old January 11th 05, 02:53 PM
Jez

Veritech wrote:
Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?

I'll start with

4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

I wonder what graphics card they gonna use in this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4150285.stm

--
Jez
'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

NFS Underground2, Americas Army And MOH-PA

Old January 11th 05, 03:54 PM
J. Clarke

Veritech wrote:

I was think about the best you could fit in your average atx case, not
"super" servers, but every little helps, lol.

Now, that makes for a bit different game from "cost no object" machines.

"Veritech" wrote in message
Lets just imagine for a second that money didn't exist, lol.
Using on the shelf components whats the most power pc you could build?

I'll start with

4 x 250gb sata HDD in an raid array(1 terrabyte!!)

There are two ways to get "most powerful" in a more or less "ordinary" ATX
case that I can see, one is to go with quad Opterons, but you can't get a
quad Opteron (or Xeon for that matter) board as near as I can tell that has
a video slot, so you're down to a dual board. Go with Supermicro X6DHE-G2
(dual EM64T Xeons and SLI capable), max that out with 16 gig of DDR400 ECC
RAM (note--the board _requires_ ECC) and 2 3.6 GHz Xeons.

For video dual 6800 Ultras with SLI.

Don't scrimp on the storage--go with a MegaRAID 320-2x RAID controller with
20 Cheetah 15K3s for primary storage, 5 per channel, in RAID0+1
configuration for about 360GB of fast storage. Add a Tekram ARC-1120 SATA
RAID controller and 8 400 GB drives in RAID-6 for 2.4 terabytes of
relatively slow storage.

Put it all in one of Jinco's large server towers, with the drives in 3 5x
hot-swap cages plus the internal bays. Add a 660 watt Enermax power supply
and I think we're done. What have I forgotten?

Old January 11th 05, 07:01 PM
J. Clarke

Tony DiMarzio wrote:

you forgot the 56k modem

Have to be an external--I think all the slots are full.