Thermal compound...

Old July 1st 03, 01:00 AM
Tin-Char D'un

Default Thermal compound...

Up until today I was truly skeptical about how different goops can effect
your temps... When I was using some generic crap on my XP2600+/Coolermaster
HAC-V81 XDream I was getting idle temps of around 47C, sometimes higher. I
attacked the HSF with a bit of 1200 grit wet & dry paper and slapped on some
Arctic Silver 3 and lo and behold the temps dropped to 40C idle. Any
comments?

--
The Jedi Code -
"There is no emotion; There is peace.

Old July 1st 03, 02:15 AM
~misfit~

"Tin-Char D'un" wrote in message
Up until today I was truly skeptical about how different goops can effect
your temps... When I was using some generic crap on my

XP2600+/Coolermaster
HAC-V81 XDream I was getting idle temps of around 47C, sometimes higher. I
attacked the HSF with a bit of 1200 grit wet & dry paper and slapped on

some
Arctic Silver 3 and lo and behold the temps dropped to 40C idle. Any
comments?

Yep. You changed two things, the grease and you lapped the 'sink. Therefore
you can't say the AS3 made the difference, it could have been due to the
lapping.

(BTW, I use AS3 and swear by it)
--
~misfit~

Old July 1st 03, 02:48 AM
Frank Hagan

"Tin-Char D'un" wrote in message
Up until today I was truly skeptical about how different goops can effect
your temps... When I was using some generic crap on my

XP2600+/Coolermaster
HAC-V81 XDream I was getting idle temps of around 47C, sometimes higher. I
attacked the HSF with a bit of 1200 grit wet & dry paper and slapped on

some
Arctic Silver 3 and lo and behold the temps dropped to 40C idle. Any
comments?

--
The Jedi Code -
"There is no emotion; There is peace.
There is no ignorance; There is knowledge
There is no passion; There is serenity.
There is no death; There is the Force."

Sounds right to me ;-)

SY-KT400 DUB
XP2100 T'bred FSB166 x 12 (2000MHz) Core voltage 1.650
512MB Samsung PC3200 (set as PC2700)
WIN98SE
Antec SX-835 w/1x 80 mm side panel intake
Vantec Aeroflow 7040 and of course ASIII ;-)
LiteOn 48x24x48
Maxtor 40GB
Sony FD
Zip 250 USB (external)
ASUS GeForce4 MX440 AGP8x
On Board LAN and C-Media sound
USR 56k voice fax modem
2x 80mm intake / 2x 80mm exhaust
3x 40 mm HD cooler in 51/4" bay

System 27C / CPU socket 31C / room temp 77F

Old July 1st 03, 10:21 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:00:09 +0100, Tin-Char D'un wrote:

Up until today I was truly skeptical about how different goops can
effect your temps... When I was using some generic crap on my
XP2600+/Coolermaster HAC-V81 XDream I was getting idle temps of around
47C, sometimes higher. I attacked the HSF with a bit of 1200 grit wet &
dry paper and slapped on some Arctic Silver 3 and lo and behold the
temps dropped to 40C idle. Any comments?

It's a proven fact that the difference between ASIII and regular TC is
within 1C. It is quite possible that you applied the AS properly, and the
prior wasn't properly installed. Matter of fact, I'd bet if you
reinstalled the same HSF properly using the regular TC, you'd see that it
cools just as good as the AS. It's likely that the work you did with the
sandpaper helped too.:-)

Old July 1st 03, 01:06 PM
Tin-Char D'un

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:00:09 +0100, Tin-Char D'un wrote:

Up until today I was truly skeptical about how different goops can
effect your temps... When I was using some generic crap on my
XP2600+/Coolermaster HAC-V81 XDream I was getting idle temps of around
47C, sometimes higher. I attacked the HSF with a bit of 1200 grit wet &
dry paper and slapped on some Arctic Silver 3 and lo and behold the
temps dropped to 40C idle. Any comments?

It's a proven fact that the difference between ASIII and regular TC is
within 1C. It is quite possible that you applied the AS properly, and the
prior wasn't properly installed. Matter of fact, I'd bet if you
reinstalled the same HSF properly using the regular TC, you'd see that it
cools just as good as the AS. It's likely that the work you did with the
sandpaper helped too.:-)

Mixed opinions here then? Looks like the general concensus is that it really
doesn't make a whole lot of difference... All I can say is this - a 7/8C
drop in temps is fine by me! Leaves plenty more room for overclocking
again...

Old July 1st 03, 02:22 PM
Minotaur

You must have a few links there proving, AC3 is what you say?
Proven facts are common knowledge, knowen to many..