Reboot loop woes...

Old July 3rd 05, 07:58 AM
Ignacio Dinchong

Default Reboot loop woes...

I recently upgraded my pc, changed the MB/CPU/Videocard. After mounting
all the new hardware in my new chassis and migrating my two IDE
harddrives, SATA drive (my startup drive), DVD drives etc. and
switching the power I found that the computer keeps restarting all the
time. I get just a flash of the Windows XP logo and then the screen
goes blank and the pc reboots....
Any ideas as to why this is happenning?
Specs before upgrade:
Asus A7V (KT400)/Radeon 9500Pro/Athlon XP2500+

Specs after upgrade:
Asus A8N SLi (Nforce4)/Geforce 6600GT/Athlon 64 3000+.

Can it be he change of chipset that is causing this?

All help appreciated! :-)

/Iggy

Old July 3rd 05, 08:16 AM
Tim

Gudday,

You need to do a repair install of XP.
See www.michaelstevenstech.com for details.
Make sure that you reinstall service packs, critical updates, motherboard
drivers, device drivers after doing so.

I would recommend first getting a copy of memtest86 from memtest86.com and
testing the memory configuration of your system is stable - see the memtest
site for details.

If your new system has the disc drives connected to SATA or RAID you may
need to install drivers using F6 install method - see your motherboard
manual or the Michael Stevens site for details. To check this off, double
check where they are plugged into the motherboard, then double check the
BIOS settings for the connector type against the motherboard manual.

- Tim

oups.com...

Old July 3rd 05, 07:06 PM
Memphoman

On 2 Jul 2005 23:58:52 -0700, "Ignacio Dinchong" wrote:

I recently upgraded my pc, changed the MB/CPU/Videocard. After mounting
all the new hardware in my new chassis and migrating my two IDE
harddrives, SATA drive (my startup drive), DVD drives etc. and
switching the power I found that the computer keeps restarting all the
time. I get just a flash of the Windows XP logo and then the screen
goes blank and the pc reboots....
Any ideas as to why this is happenning?
Specs before upgrade:
Asus A7V (KT400)/Radeon 9500Pro/Athlon XP2500+

Specs after upgrade:
Asus A8N SLi (Nforce4)/Geforce 6600GT/Athlon 64 3000+.

Can it be he change of chipset that is causing this?

All help appreciated! :-)

/Iggy

I recently changed my ram out and 1 of the sticks was bad and it was causing the exact same
symtoms...ran fine on 1 stick. Got Mushkin to replace both sticks and was fine after that.
Old July 3rd 05, 11:54 PM
iggy

Thanks for the advice Tim - I ended up doing a reformat and new XP
install....

:-)