HELP !!!! CPU / motherboard shortage

Old July 29th 06, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default HELP !!!! CPU / motherboard shortage

Hi guys, I need some proffessional's help!

You know this blue grease that is used to transfet heat from the CPU to
the fan?

Well, I have accidentally spilled some of it INSIDE THE CPU'S SOCKET!!
and few other places in the motherboard.

I haven't succeed to clean it all up, s I just replugged everything and
powered on the computer.

It worked for a while, but after few hours the computer didn't work
anymore.
I mean, I can power it on, but it won't do anything accept rotating the
fans.

What can I do??
Can I clean the grease to make it work?

BTW: It's a P4 socket 775, the motherboard is ASUS P5S800VM.

Thanks!

Old July 30th 06, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

Depends how much money ya got? cause if its in the zif, apart from dipping
it in a solvent (i'm not sure what would be safe nowadays), you need to
chalk it up. I can't see the board, so I may be exaggerating, but from what
you typed I get the feeling its a lost cause. If its in the socket then its
all aver the pins and that's just a flippin mess. sorry MO.

oups.com...

Old July 30th 06, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

One time, I actually washed a floppy disk in warm soapy
water. Girl had spilled coke on it, and she had a semester
project she just could not lose. No way would a drive read
it, so I cut the disk out of the plastic carrier, and washed
it in the sink with hand soap, and rinsed it well several
times, and then put it in another carrier that I had carefully
cut open. Worked fine. You could try pulling the board
and putting it in a tub of warm soapy water, and then
rinsing the dickens out of it. Let it dry 24 hours. Maybe
even use a hair dryer on it.

johns

Old July 30th 06, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss

"johns" wrote...

One time, I actually washed a floppy disk in warm soapy
water. Girl had spilled coke on it, and she had a semester
project she just could not lose. No way would a drive read
it, so I cut the disk out of the plastic carrier, and washed
it in the sink with hand soap, and rinsed it well several
times, and then put it in another carrier that I had carefully
cut open. Worked fine. You could try pulling the board
and putting it in a tub of warm soapy water, and then
rinsing the dickens out of it. Let it dry 24 hours. Maybe
even use a hair dryer on it.

The Navy uses an analogous system to recover avionics that are inundated with
salt water, though I don't know the specific procedures/protocols.. First,
douse/dunk them in fresh water; then put them in a low-temp oven to dry.

For the grease, it may be necessary to use a soap/detergent at least on the
contaminated areas If you can get all the visible residue out, fresh water
rinse followed by a distilled water rinse may get out all the soap. Then dry
thoroughly.

Old July 30th 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
visions of effty

"Matt" wrote in message
Hi guys, I need some proffessional's help!

You know this blue grease that is used to transfet heat from the CPU to
the fan?

Well, I have accidentally spilled some of it INSIDE THE CPU'S SOCKET!!
and few other places in the motherboard.

Maybe some kind of aerosol solvent such as carburetor cleaner. I have no
idea what nasty things carb cleaner might do to a circuit board, but you
could try various solvents on any broken or obsolete boards you might have
lying around. O'course you want something that dissolves the grease but
not any of the board's components. First find something that dissolves
the grease.

Think hydrocarbons.

It has to be able to break down grease without leaving a conductive residue.
An ideal substance would be TCE or one of it's less toxic brothers. Any
electronics degreaser you buy (they do sell these things) will be something
from that very toxic family of chemicals. Tri-chloro-ethylene or
Di-chloro-fluoro-ethane. Not sure about the spellings. Gasoline and Naptha
are also hydrocarbons. Dry cleaners use some sort of de-greasing
hydrocarbon but I'm not sure what it's called. I like the carb cleaner
idea. That stuff is mostly Xylene, right? Whatever you use it'll have lots
of warning labels on it! The bonus of carb cleaner would be that little
plastic straw it shoots out of. And the beautiful smell. That stuff has a
beautiful smell.

The trick is not to dissolve the board! Sounds tricky. Let us know how it
works out!

~e.

Old July 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss

"visions of effty" wrote...

Think hydrocarbons.

I like the carb cleaner idea. That stuff is mostly Xylene, right?
Whatever you use it'll have lots of warning labels on it! The bonus of carb
cleaner would be that little plastic straw it shoots out of. And the
beautiful smell. That stuff has a beautiful smell.

If you go this route, use brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner. Brake cleaner
is not chlorinated, and will not attack some plastics/rubber as the carb cleaner
will. My outboard motor tech told me to use the brake cleaner on my Honda
carb...