Buy a Gateway at retail, except some of the worst support in the industry.

Old February 9th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
RMZ

Default Buy a Gateway at retail, except some of the worst support in the industry.

What follows is a true story of my interaction with Gateway support,
based on this experience I will never buy another Gateway product. I
feel if others knew what they were getting into they may feel the same
way, so I am posting my experience to inform others.

I purchased a Gateway MX6453 in early Janauary 2007, less than 30 days
later one the keyboard keys began having a problem, I got on-line with
a support rep and at first I was told they would need to secure a $70
authorization on my credit card and then they would send me the part
which I could install... I would send the defective keyboard back in a
prepaid mailer and the $70 would not be charged. I was thinking,
wow... these guys are great...

But after taking my credit card information I was told "I'm sorry, the
part is not replaceable". When I ask them to clarify what this ment I
was told "... it means that we will not be able to replace your
keyboard, the computer itself will have to be replaced". I then asked
if this meant I would loose all my hard drive data and I was told "...
most likely, you will need to back up everything".

I then pointed the support rep to this article on gateways own website
explaining how to change out the part in all MX6000 series notebooks:
http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/8511369.pdf

My system is identical to all photos shown in this document, in fact
the document referenced above shows up when I drill down into th user
guides section of my customized support page (built around my model #
and serial), when I unscrewed and removed the bottom panel as shown in
this document, I found screws in all the right places and I discovered
the keyboard in my notebook is in fact (and to no surprise) most
definitely replaceable. I also found am abundance of MX6000 series
replacement keyboards on EBay, which again to no surprise look
identical to the keyboard in my system.

So the question is why is Gateway forcing retail customers to send in
their notebooks for repairs, advising the customer they will probably
be forced to reinstall everything (potentially loose days of work) and
be forced in a situation without their PC for five to seven days,
while for on-line customers they simply providing the part and
catering to the customer....

To top all of this off, the support rep could not explain any of
Gateway's policies on this. I requested and got to speak with the
supervisor, he reviewed the entire chat session and still could not
provide any help.

What follows is a complete transcript of the chat session with
sensitive information edited to protect the support reps and my
privacy (the reps aren't responsible here, Gateway is). This is a real
transcript.

================================================== ===========================
Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Welcome to Gateway Chat. My name and badge number are Sheila_GXXXXXXX.
I am looking at your
account and the information you submitted. I will begin
troubleshooting with you in just a moment.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Hello

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Ok

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Hi there Jeremy. Before we begin I just have some verifications.br

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Ok

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
According to your submission, the serial number for your Gateway
system is Txxxxxxxxxxxx and the model number of your system is
MX6453. Is this correct?br

Jeremy DXXXX says:
yes

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Is your current email address?br

Jeremy DXXXX says:
yes

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Thank you for verifying your information. I see some opportunity here
to enhance your computer experience. Let's resolve the issue first
and then discuss these options.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
ok

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
I understand that there is a problem on the keyboard, right? Can you
tell me more about it.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
yes... the left "Shift" key became hard to press today. It still
works, but I have to press down hard in the center of the key to make
it take effect. All the others keys on the keyboard work fine. As you
can see the computer is less than 30 days old.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
I would like to know if the keyboard is designed so that the
individual keys can be removed and put back on.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
something strange just happend

Jeremy DXXXX says:
are you still there?

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Yes.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
ok

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Please describe any changes you made around the time the issue
started.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
no changes

Jeremy DXXXX says:
I was just in the middle of an e-mail

Jeremy DXXXX says:
the key feels different, it takes more force to press the left Shift
key down than any of the other keys

Jeremy DXXXX says:
that also started today, same time so I know its related.

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Based on the troubleshooting that we have done, we have determined
that the keyboard will need to be replaced for your computer. br

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
I am able to send you the replacement part so that you can install it
as soon as it arrives, on your own or with the assistance of technical
support. Included with your replacement part are instructions on how
to remove the defective part and install the replacement part.br

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
In order to send out the replacement part, I will need to preauthorize
a credit card for $75.00. The $75.00 is only preauthorized and will
not be charged unless the defective part is not returned within ten
days of when you receive the replacement part. You will receive a
prepaid shipping label with your replacement part that should be used
to return the defective part to us without any cost to youbr

Jeremy DXXXX says:
ok

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Are you ready for that card number?

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
To place your replacement order I will need the following: br1)
Street Addressbr2)
Citybr3) Statebr4) Zip

Jeremy DXXXX says:
[edited to remove sensitive information]

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Do you need any other information?

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Please continue to wait.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
ok

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Jeremy, I do apologize, but this system the keuboard part is not
replaceable.

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
With this you will need to send the system to us for service.

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
I can setup a Service Request for you, which will authorize your
repairs. We will send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send
the notebook to us. The Shipping label and box will be sent out within
2-3 business days after the Service Request is issued. When you
receive the shipping label attach it to the outside of the box. br

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Before sending your system in for repairs, please verify that any
media such as games, music, or your Restore CD have been removed from
your CDROM, DVD, or CDRW drive plus any third party hardware such as
added RAM, video cards, etc. br

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Please send battery and AC Adapter in with the Notebook. Please do not
include any other peripheral hardware you may have hooked up to the
notebook. Please also verify that the Notebook has been packaged for
safe transit, as you will be responsible for any damaged incurred to
the system in shipping. Once the Notebook is received at the
warehouse, it may take up to 7-10 business days for the computer to be
repaired and sent back. br

Jeremy DXXXX says:
I can't give up the notebook at this time, I use it for business and
I'm at a critical juncture where I could loose hundreds of dollars for
each day without my PC.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Why can't gateway just send me a replacement?

Jeremy DXXXX says:
I can buy a replacement part second-hand and
www.gateway.com gives
instructions on how to change the keyboard

Jeremy DXXXX says:
This is very upsetting

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
No Jeremy, I can't process the replacement because the part is not
replaceable.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Can you explain that?

Jeremy DXXXX says:
How is it not replaceable?

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
I do apologize for the inconvenience this issue has brought you but
you will need to send the system to us to replace the keyboard.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Ok... I understand you have limited control here. Can you give me the
name of a supervisor at Gateway support.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
This product is less an 30 days old.... I understand parts break, but
I can buy the part second hand and replace it myself... it makes no
sense that gateway can't send me the replacement part..... Especially
given that you provide instructions on how to replace it. I'm the kind
of person who will take things like this to the next level on
principle, can you at least give me an explanation?

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
The name of my supervisor is Joseph_GWXXXXXX.

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
I can transfer you to my supervisor.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
As you can see I'm very serious about this... I don't mind waiting

Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
Jeremy, here's Joseph my Supervisor.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Thanks.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Hello Jeremy! Please allow me a moment to review your chat session.
Thank you.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Hi Joseph... No problem.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Thank you for waiting, Jeremy. I appreciate your patience.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
thank you for taking the time to talk with me

Jeremy DXXXX says:
well, you see where I'm at.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
It appears that one of the keys of your keyboard is not functioning
well.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
No problem, Jeremy.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
That's right and I feel like, since it's practically brand new, I'm
just a bit upset about

the way this is being handled

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
I have check our records and unfortunately the keyboard of your
notebook is not replaceable.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
can you explain what that means

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
The only way to replace it is to send in your notebook to our service
facility.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
According to the gateway website it is replacable.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Instructions for replacement the keyboard on the Gateway MX6000 series
keyboard is posted on-line

Jeremy DXXXX says:
The part (keyboard) is available on ebay and other on-line etailers.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
We cannot possibly arrange a replacement for your keyboard according
to your system information.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Can you provide me that link please?

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Yes... hold on just a moment

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Thank you.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
http://support.gateway.com/support/m...0/MX6000.shtml

Jeremy DXXXX says:
See the Hardware reference guide hyperlink

Jeremy DXXXX says:
It shows instructions on how to replace the keyboard, all the
instructions provided and pictures match this notebook in terms of
placement of screws, etc...

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Thank you. Please let me check my resources again. Please hold.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Again, my notebook is the MX6453

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
I am still verifying your notebook's components, Jeremy. I apologize
for the wait.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
I don't mind waiting

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Thank you for waiitng, Jeremy.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
Are you telling me that I can not follow the MX6000 keyboard
replacement instructions posted

on gateway's website?

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Unfortunately, the keyboard part is not one of the components of your
notebook that is replaceable.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Therefore, I'm afraid that I cannot process a replacement keyboard for
your notebook.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
If I send the notebook in for replairs will I loose everything on the
system?

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration caused by this issue.

Jeremy DXXXX says:
When you say the part can not be replaced, do you mean the terms of my
warrenty do not allow it or physically the hardware does not allow
it...

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Yes Jeremy. Please back up any important information before sending
your computer to us via Service Request as it is very likely that a
destructive restore will be ran on the computer while it is at the
warehouse.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
It is physically the hardware, Jeremy.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Once the system is received at the warehouse, it may take up to 3-5
business days for the computer to be repaired and sent back.br

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
We will send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send the system
to us. The Shipping label and box will be sent out within 2-3 business
days after the Service Request is issued.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
When you receive the shipping label attach it to the outside of the
box. Before sending your system in for repairs, please verify that any
media such as games, music, or your Restore CD have been removed from
your CDROM, DVD or CDRW drive.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
In addition, please do not include any other peripheral hardware you
may have hooked up to the system.

Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Jeremy DXXXX says:
No, thank you.

Old February 9th 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Joan F \(MI\)

They are sure inconsistent, they sent me a replacement keyboard for my 450X
a couple of years ago, no questions asked. The instructions you describe
sound exactly like what it took to replace mine. Later when I was having
video problems and sent it in for service they didn't have me remove any
software. Of course, it took three trips to service and back before they
figured out it was the motherboard and replaced it. They never did reformat
it.

Have you tried cleaning the keyboard out? It sounds like there might be
something under that key. Turn it off and take a can of compressed air and
blow the keyboard out. The reason for my replacement was that I was
cleaning it with a toothpick and a couple of key tops came off, they went
back on easily so like a fool I removed a couple more and the little plastic
tabs on the bottom of one broke so it wouldn't snap back on.

================================================== ===========================

Old February 9th 07, 07:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
RMZ

Mundo Corp, the leading supplier of Gateway and eMachine after market
parts (I use the term "after market" loosely, since these parts are
presumably from the same Asian suppliers Gateway uses in their
products)
http://www.mundocorp.com/

Has assisted me in confirming the keyboard in my notebook (MX6453) is
the same keyboard found in all MX6000 series systems. Mundo Corp's
part labeling is propritary, but they note for all MX6000 series

"...Gateway part numbers for the keyboard: 103333, 104820, 105222,
105771, 105836, AEMA2TAU015, AEMA1TAU119, QND1KBZZZUTAL1,
QND1KBZZZUTAD7, QND1KBZZZUTAE5. There may be other compatible part
numbers. Part number shipped based on availability.".

In this statement, Mundo Corp is stating that Gateway uses multiple
part #'s to represent the same part. What's Mundo Corp's
creditability? Well, they've been around almost as long as Gateway.
Gateway themselves uses Mundo Corp sometimes for repairs and even
refers customers to Mundo Corp for service of products they no longer
support (see the bottom of this page) http://support.gateway.com/s/faq/
c-custserv/cserv67.shtml

Third-party instructions on replacing the keyboard on all Gateway
MX6400 series notebooks (they have confirmed this includes the MX6453)
are identical to the MX6000 series and utilize the same photos found
on gateways site for the MX6000 series keyboard replacement
procedure).
http://www.mundocorp.com/kbinstructions/kb_mx6400.html

It's also known in the industry (but not widely advertised) that the
non built to order notebooks and PCs (all Gateway's non built-to-order
retail products) are assembled in Asian factories, while their built-
to-order PC's are assembled in the US. While I do not feel this
justifies Gateway Support's ignorance on this issue, it does help to
explain it. If you read the transcript, you'll see I repeatedly ask
for an explanation and was never given one.

It's probable that in this case their support just doesn't have
information on file about the components compatibility and the support
reps are stating what they are required to. I find it incredibly
disturbing that the leading third-party repair service and parts
supplier for Gateway products would know more than Gateway does about
their products, but that is exactly what has happened in my case and
again, Gateway's troubleshooting process for the keyboard replacement,
according to a support supervisor would likely result in the system
HDD being restored/wiped back to a fresh Windows install add to that
five days of inconvenience to their customer.... There may be more to
the story that Gateway doesn't wish to disclose, but when you break it
down, we're talking about the same keyboard part they would be
providing to their on-line customers, but a much different quality of
service for brick and mortar retail customers.

Bottom line is this: If you buy a Gateway at Best Buy, CompUSA,
Circuit City, etc.... It appears you're not going to get the same
quality of warranty support as if you purchased on-line. This is 100%
Gateway's fault. Am I the only one who thinks this needs to be
publicized?

Had I not solved the problem and had to send the notebook in for
repairs, I would have been out 5 days of work, I would have had to try
and negotiate new license keys for very expensive industry specific
software to run on temporary machine (a machine I would have to go out
and buy), if I failed to negotiate that I could potentially loose a
client and thus a $50,000+ contract..... you see whee this is going.
We're talking Gateway's inability to provide reasonable support for a
$40 part potentially snowballing into a $70,000+ lawsuit. Granted,
that did not happen, but the point is it would take very little effort
on Gateway's part to provide this simple level of support.... and it
would cost them less and it would greatly benefit their customers (how
many would prefer to keep their HDD in tact and not have to send off
their system for a simple keyboard transplant, raise your hands

Shame on you Gateway!

Old February 9th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
RMZ

Just wanted to follow up and Gateway support has no changed their
tune.... I have no way of knowing if making all of this public helped
in that cause, but after posting a compliant to Gateway about the
quality of their support on this I was received this morning and was
told they could in fact send me the replacement part.

It's possible this was an honest mistake on their part, since I had to
get a supervisor involved and the supervisor gave me the same false
information I don't think it was an honest mistake, but the point is
now they are willing to cooperate and do the logical thing. As noted,
I don't even need the keyboard replacement at this point, so this is
one of those battles on principle and I'm glad Gateway is doing the
right thing here.

Also, it's worth noting that my experience with Gateway up until this
point has been excellent. Their support may have been wrong on this
initially, but I really appreciated that I was not talking to a
someone in a foreign country who could barely speak English (as is the
case with most support these days). I commend them for bringing the
support back home and for changing course on this incident.

Old February 10th 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan

RMZ wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry you had this experience, but I don't think it had anything to
do with where you bought it. I think it's the result of the same kind
of *handbook* service support we get from all large companies' customer
support services.

I've had 3 Gateway computers in the last 12 yrs. and never had to call
them about a failing or defective part, and as annoying as what you've
been through has been, I am not deterred from buying their products in
the future. The last one I bought was through Office Depot last year,
and that's why your message caught my attention.

I've come to expect changes in inventory supplies and communication
problems from all of them, and unlike you, think it was an honest
[extremely irritating] mistake.
bj

Old February 11th 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
RMZ

The last support rep I spoke with stated that they do follow different
support procedures with Gateway products sold at retail outlets and
"built-to-order" products sold on-line... The components in both
products are the same, the only difference in the retail products is
that they are assembled in Asia, while the buit to order systems are
built in the US. That doesn't say anything derogatory about the
quality of the retail products, it just says they originate in
different locations.

I see Gateway's failure on this is one of being able to provide their
support reps with enough information. If you had a problem with your
keyboard in your (Office Depot ) Gateway last week and needed a
replacement you would have likely been prompted by their support staff
to ship your system to them for repairs. I talked with a support rep
and with a support rep supervisor in my initial contact with them and
they would not budged on this.

The very next day, they did offer to send me the part and told me the
part was replaceable. So I think it was just a matter of someone in
power to change the support information in their database being around
to confirm what I was telling them (that the part was replaceable).

The bottom line is they made good on it and they did so promptly, they
were never once rude with me.... Since my original post, I have
changed my mind, I would buy a Gateway product again.

Old February 12th 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan

RMZ wrote:
The last support rep I spoke with stated that they do follow different
support procedures with Gateway products sold at retail outlets and
"built-to-order" products sold on-line... The components in both
products are the same, the only difference in the retail products is
that they are assembled in Asia, while the buit to order systems are
built in the US. That doesn't say anything derogatory about the
quality of the retail products, it just says they originate in
different locations.

Thanks, I did not know this. I wouldn't have bought one off the shelf,
if I hadn't needed a laptop *immediately*, but this is good to know.

I see Gateway's failure on this is one of being able to provide their
support reps with enough information.

The very next day, they did offer to send me the part and told me the
part was replaceable. So I think it was just a matter of someone in
power to change the support information in their database being around
to confirm what I was telling them (that the part was replaceable).

That is what I had imagined... although it didn't lessen the validity of
your complaint.

The bottom line is they made good on it and they did so promptly, they
were never once rude with me.... Since my original post, I have
changed my mind, I would buy a Gateway product again.

I'm glad to hear this, because I do think Gateway is an honest vendor,
which suffers the same in-house communications problems most others do.
bj
Old February 12th 07, 01:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Joan F \(MI\)

What makes a thing built to order? When I got my laptop I had a couple of
changes to the basic configuration, got one stick of 512 RAM instead of two
258s and got the heavy duty battery, the laptop was shipped from Asia.

Old February 12th 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
RMZ

My understanding is anything you order on-line from www.gateway.com is
"built to order", while any Gateway product you pruchase at a retail
outlet or on-line through a retail outlet (excluding www.gateway.com)
is non built-to-order.

For example, if you go www.gateway.com's product page:
http://www.gateway.com/home/products...hm_ptb_catalog

You clearly see at the far left an option for "Available at retail".
These systems have fixed configurations and so Gateway builds them
offshore. Again, this says nothing negative about the quality of the
Asian products. It all depends on how well the quality control is
handled regardless of where they are assembled. In fact, Apple's
MacBook's are rated #1 in terms of build quality and they 100% of
MacBook (including MacBook Pro's) are assembled in Asia. The
difference is Gateway appears to be passing this reduced manufacturing
cost along to customers (or perhaps they use it as means to absorb the
markups incurred by selling through retail chains), meanwhile while of
course Apple is positioned as a high-end brand...

If I buy another Gateway product I will probably buy at retail. It's
convenient and at this point I'm convinced you get a quality product.
The US based support is one of the leading factors with Gateway for
me. Also, out of all the notebooks available at the retail outlet I
was at, the HP and Sony models just couldn't compete for the price....
I also think the aesthetics of Gateway notebooks (and Gateway products
in general) are 2nd only to Apple notebook products.

Old February 12th 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Yes and no. Yes, built to order to the mail order buyer's specifications,
within certain limits. No, because what gets sold at retail is also built to
order, but the order is for a large quantity, all the same specs... Ben Myers