Legend 10cd hd support

Old December 4th 03, 04:53 PM
Ed

Default Legend 10cd hd support

I have an old Legend 10cd and want to put a larger hd in along with the
320mb? drive that it came with. Anyone know what the largest drive
this
machine will recognize is? I believe I have the original bios right
now.

Also, is it a 450 motherboard this machine has (50mhz 486)?
Will it support a 5.25" drive if I decide to replace the cd-rom with
one?

I want to use it as a dos box or playing old ms-pdos games, etc...

Thanks,

Ed
Old December 4th 03, 09:45 PM
Elector

"Ed" wrote in message
I have an old Legend 10cd and want to put a larger hd in along with

the
320mb? drive that it came with. Anyone know what the largest drive
this
machine will recognize is? I believe I have the original bios right
now.

Also, is it a 450 motherboard this machine has (50mhz 486)?
Will it support a 5.25" drive if I decide to replace the cd-rom with
one?

I want to use it as a dos box or playing old ms-pdos games, etc...

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed:

Don't quote me on this one. The lower numbered PB had a drive limit
with original BIOS of 2.175 and with a bios update with Logical Block
Addressing (LBA) enabled 8.4 GB

Your cd rom should be on the sound card or modem combo I forget which.
You have a spot for the older 5.25 Floppy Drive on the floppy disk
controller with a dual ribbon. It does not go on the Primary IDE or
Secondary IDE slots. The slots in the system are colored as to not
make a mistake. The FDC=Black and the IDE=White if memory serves me.

I Hope that helped?

Elector

Old December 4th 03, 09:51 PM
Ben Myers

Ed,

My long-time rule of thumb with 486 systems is that the early ones have a 528MB
limit on the capacity of hard drives supported, and are not very likely to
support an ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM drive. The later ones have a 2.1GB limit, and the
chances of ATAPI CD-ROM support are increased, but not 100%.

The foregoing explains why older 486 systems often have a separate proprietary
CD-ROM controller or a proprietary CD-ROM controller built into a sound card.
And the CD-ROM drive is, of course, also proprietary, with some difficulty
obtaining even DOS drivers any more.

As noted in an earlier post, MicroFirmware sells BIOS upgrades for older 486s
and Pentium systems, but the surest and easiest way to increase hard drive size
and add support for contemporary ATAPI CD-ROM drives is via a 3rd party ISA bus
disk controller card with its own built-in BIOS. The controller's disk BIOS
effectively replaces the one incorporated into the motherboard BIOS. You might
find a card like this on eBay for short money, or used in a smaller computer
shop that hoards older parts. Brand names include Promise, GSI,
MicroFirmware... Ben Myers

Old December 5th 03, 06:04 AM
metronid

I have mentioned before
I have a Legend 10CD
2.1Gig is the limit of the bios

A bios update from micro firmware
or a suitable card will increase your HD limits

The unit will still be a slow one

I have also mentioned that I have the same unit
with the Bios for the isa/pci Riser card
working happily on my legend 10CD

Sees the 4gig limit that way
It is un-orthodox
I had nothing to lose

2 gig to 4 hig is not much

Old December 5th 03, 03:16 PM
Ed

Thanks that does help...

Ed

Old December 5th 03, 03:24 PM
Ed

I realize it will be slow (especially for any windowsOS). I
want to use it strictly as an inexpensive "dos box" for playing
old ms-dos based games(early 80's through mid 90's), for this it seems
to work very well, even too fast at times

I don't want to buy the new bios as I want to keep this project as
cheap as possible. 2 gigs will hold a lot of these old games, adequate
for me(and it looks like I could squeeze 3 hd's into the case along with
the ide cdrom using the on board controllers if i make my own bracket).

Thanks for the help everyone!

Ed

Old December 5th 03, 03:37 PM
Anthony

"Ed" wrote in message
I realize it will be slow (especially for any windowsOS). I
want to use it strictly as an inexpensive "dos box" for playing
old ms-dos based games(early 80's through mid 90's), for this it seems
to work very well, even too fast at times

I don't want to buy the new bios as I want to keep this project as
cheap as possible. 2 gigs will hold a lot of these old games, adequate
for me(and it looks like I could squeeze 3 hd's into the case along with
the ide cdrom using the on board controllers if i make my own bracket).

Thanks for the help everyone!

Ed

Bracket, who needs a bracket. Duct Tape my man!!!!! It works wonders!!!!!
LOL

Regards,
Anthony

Old December 5th 03, 03:54 PM
Elector

"Anthony" wrote in message
s.com...
snip
Bracket, who needs a bracket. Duct Tape my man!!!!! It works

wonders!!!!!
LOL

Regards,
Anthony

Bwaaaaaaa your killing me with these types of answers..! Ha ha

Elector

Old December 5th 03, 04:11 PM
Anthony

"Elector" wrote in message

"Anthony" wrote in message
s.com...
snip
Bracket, who needs a bracket. Duct Tape my man!!!!! It works

wonders!!!!!
LOL

Regards,
Anthony

Bwaaaaaaa your killing me with these types of answers..! Ha ha

Elector

Seriously.....

Had a friend who bought a PB Legend in a desktop case. He wanted to add a
2nd hard drive for data (dater for the UK posters storage. Of sourse
there was no place to mount the 2nd hard drive. So we duct taped it to the
bottom of the case under the CDrom drive.

And in my old PB Synera in a Pizza Tower, there was no room for the 2nd
hard drive either, since all the bays were full, so I just zipped tied it to
the primary hard drive. Worked great.

Regards,
Anthony

Old December 5th 03, 06:56 PM
Ben Myers

Hmm. Ever considered a farm of SCSI disks in an external chassis? Up to 7
drives per adapter with 50-pin narrow SCSI, 15 drives with 68-pin. And with the
possibility of dual-channel SCSI adapters and more than one SCSI adapter, a PB
could easily be set up with a terabyte of storage.

Duct tape has its myriad of uses though... Ben Myers

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:11:42 GMT, "Anthony" wrote:

"Elector" wrote in message

"Anthony" wrote in message
s.com...
snip