Looking @ a Dell Laptop. Advice Please

Old December 14th 10, 09:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Default Looking @ a Dell Laptop. Advice Please

This will NOT be my main computer. My desktop will always be my workhorse.
I don't even NEED a notebook....just think I want one
What will I use it for? Surfing the Internet. Would want it to be able to
play all the common various video formats found on line. I'm not a gamer.
Email, accessing graphical recipe cards, play music, view pictures and play
videos. I won't ask it to do photo editing with the likes of Photoshop,
Lightroom or video slideshows
with Proshow Producer. Will this laptop do what I want with ease with more
to offer? I don't want to start out with a laptop that is already being
pushed to the limits. Would anyone know what kind of (and quality) screen
it has? My desktop is a LCD (IPS)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/Descr...em_id=15223369
Thanks guys!
Monica

Old December 14th 10, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Monica" wrote:
This will NOT be my main computer. My desktop will always be my
workhorse. I don't even NEED a notebook....just think I want one
What will I use it for? Surfing the Internet. Would want it to be able to play all the common various video formats
found on line. I'm not a gamer.
Email, accessing graphical recipe cards, play music, view pictures and play videos. I won't ask it to do photo
editing with the likes of Photoshop, Lightroom or video slideshows with Proshow Producer. Will this laptop
do what I want with ease with more to offer? I don't want to start out
with a laptop that is already being pushed to the limits. Would anyone
know what kind of (and quality) screen it has? My desktop is a LCD
(IPS)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/Descr...em_id=15223369
Thanks guys!
Monica

The January, 2011, issue of PC World lists the
"Top 10 All-Purpose Laptops" as:

1) HP Envy 14 ($1289) --Best Buy
2) Dell Vostro 3300 ($599)
3) Acer Aspire 57410-6983 ($850)
4) Micro Express NBL60 ($1199)
5) Lenovo IdeaPad Y460 ($899)
6) Dell Latitude E5510 ($1042)
7) Toshiba Satellite M645-S4055 ($1049)
8) HP ProBook 4520s ($819)
9) Sony VAIO VPCEA22FX ($849)
10) Asus N82Jv ($999)

The choice of a PC is highly personal, and it depends on priority
weightings of at least a dozen factors, including warranty service and
customer support. I'd advise just going to manufacturer websites
and choose a set of features that you just MUST have and then
see how many of them you can get with what you can afford. Just
remember that expansion capacity is capacity that you may never
use before the technology changes, so planning for more than
3 years forward can be a waste of time and money. Laptops can
also be hard to service, so checking out PC World's survey of
warranty support satisfaction should be part of your search.

Offhand, considering the low-level demands that you'll
place on the machine, take a look at Dell's Vostro line.
If you're comfortable with a higher price, check out Dell's
Latitude line.

*TimDaniels*

Old December 15th 10, 05:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/14/2010 4:09 PM, Monica wrote:
This will NOT be my main computer. My desktop will always be my workhorse.
I don't even NEED a notebook....just think I want one
What will I use it for? Surfing the Internet. Would want it to be able to
play all the common various video formats found on line. I'm not a gamer.
Email, accessing graphical recipe cards, play music, view pictures and play
videos. I won't ask it to do photo editing with the likes of Photoshop,
Lightroom or video slideshows
with Proshow Producer. Will this laptop do what I want with ease with more
to offer? I don't want to start out with a laptop that is already being
pushed to the limits. Would anyone know what kind of (and quality) screen
it has? My desktop is a LCD (IPS)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/Descr...em_id=15223369
Thanks guys!
Monica

monica,
that $500 pink walmart dell inspiron im501r has an amd p340 processor
(1286 passmark), 15.6" screen, 3gb ram, 350gb hard disk, wireless n,
integrated camera, no mention of optical drive* (cd? dvd? dvd-rw), a 6
cell battery, 1 year warranty (not clear if it is on-site or
return-to-depot/mail-in), and windows 7 "starter edition", and a media
card reader.
it is a capable machine but doesn't strike me as an exceptional value.
but is is available in the stores for you to take home today, and it is
pink - which i know you like about it
for $449, this one is probably a better deal...
http://tinyurl.com/26ljlzk
It is a black dell inspiron 15 with a Intel t4500 processor (1561
passmark), 15.6: screen, 3gb ram, 500gb hard disk, wireless n,
integrated camera, dvd-rw, 6 cell battery, 1 year on-site warranty, and
windows 7 "home premium", and no media card reader.
So for $50 less you get a bit faster machine with more disk. but you
have to wait a bit longer for it to arrive and it is not pink.
having said that, if your goal is to be truly portable, and since you
said you have the desktop as your main machine, i would suggest that you
consider a ipad. it isn't nirvana, but it is very veritile, and with
the installation of logmein nitro ($20?) you can remotely control your
internet connected desktop from the ipad as well as use the ipad
independantly for surfing the web, watching movies, reading books, etc.
You may even want to wait a couple of months to see what appears on
the market from the other major vendors as they are scrambling to come
us with some answer to the ipad with tablets of their own.

*and the link on walmart.com to dell's specification page does not work.
Old December 16th 10, 04:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Christopher,
Now how did you know I wanted this laptop because it was pink? You've blown
my cover! No one on this newsgroup will ever take me seriously again lol
Yes, it does come with a CD/DVD player. (Win 7 Starter doesn't play DVDs).
Don't know if it's a burner too. Not all of the specs are listed. I don't
know warranty yet either. I called Dell to ask about this model. Couldn't
find it on their website. Was given this link as being the same laptop.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-m501r/fs
As for the Win 7 "Starter" edition, I'm still not sure about this. I read
that before I ordered and Googled "Windows 7 Starter". It appears to be a
"4th" version of Win 7 for NETbooks. This laptop
doesn't say it's a netbook (if it is, I don't want it). And the main
description of the OS says "Windows 7 Home Premium". Premium and Starter
are two different versions.
Guess I'll find out tomorrow when it arrives at my back door One of the
reasons I bought this laptop from Walmart is because I can return it easily
and with no restocking fee. The 3 weeks or 3 months (I've had two different
answers) I have to return it will give me the time I need to decide if I'm
going to be happy with it.
I HAVE been considering an iPad and then wanted to wait and see what
competition hits the market. In the end, I decided a laptop would suit my
needs better. Thank you for your advice and for the link to the (boring)
black model g I've bookmarked it in case the pink one doesn't quite cut
it
Tim, thank you for the list of top laptops. I'm sure they're all great
laptops, just not in the price range I'm willing to pay since this is more
of a convenience/want purchase rather than a necessary/need one.
Monica

t...

Old December 16th 10, 06:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/16/2010 11:49 AM, Monica wrote:
[...]

"Christopher wrote in message
t...
[...]

that machine will likely be just fine.
windows starter edition is probably the only real issue with the
machine. when you read stuff on the web about windows starter edition
you have to take it with a big grain of salt. most of the information
about windows 7 starter is wrong, in large part because microsoft
themselves issued pre-release statements about its 'features'
(limitations) that were not actually as severe in the final released
product. it was created to compete with linux that was shipping on all
the low cost netbooks. to make windows low cost to netbook
manufacturers they decided to cut features and initially announced that
it would only be able to run three applications at a time. but when it
came to market it did not have that restriction though people still say
it does. the things that starter does not do are mostly just annoying,
like you can not change the desktop wallpaper (easily - it can be
hacked), and it does not support 'areo' (the translucent windows that
are a mainstay of the windows 7 look). you could of course reload your
new machine with a different version of windows if you wanted. it is
interesting that windows 7 is on this full fledged notebook. i think
that has to due with the marketing power of walmart dictating to dell
and microsoft what configuration they wanted to be able to advertise a
machine at a certain price point and still achieve the profit margins
they required. but all that aside, enjoy the laptop, but make sure you
wear complimentary colors when you travel with it.

Old December 16th 10, 07:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Yes, I read the first report of the limited open programs and the areo
look. Also read that Starter doesn't play DVDs. I still don't know for
sure which version it will have on it but the title description says Windows
7 Premium. We shall see. I still use XP on my XPS 420. It was shipped
with Vista but the first thing I did was strip that off and load XP (along
with a lot of "XP for Vista" drivers I had to track down). THAT was a
chore! I love XP but I'm kind of looking forward to trying Win 7 if it's
not the Starter version.
As for the complimentary colors while traveling...absolutely! In fact, my
Ford Flex has ambient lighting (cup holders and front and middle footwells
and rear console). Hot pink is one of the 7 colors from which to choose
I'm not about to tell you that I coordinate the ambient lighting to what I'm
wearing. My long standing affiliation with this newsgroup would be
tarnished for good!

Old December 16th 10, 07:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/16/2010 2:24 PM, Monica wrote:
[...]

that is right, windows 7 starter does not have a built in dvd player.
that is consistent with netbooks not having dvd drives and it makes me
wonder why the optical drive was not mentioned in the configuration of
the dell/walmart machine that you bought. but you can always install
some other media player like the vista edition of powerdvd that you
probably got with your dell desktop. the things that are gimped in
starter edition really just amount to annoyances and for the most part
have work arounds, but the lack of areo glass (and areo peak) is the
biggest difference in terms of user experience. still think it is odd
that the link to the system specs on the walmart product page did not
work. no mention of a optical drive makes me think that it may not have
one - and no optical drive was one of microsofts original requirements
for systems that oems could install windows 7 starter on their
machines... then again a maximum 250gb was also a requirement and this
system has more than that... so let us know what you get. walmart
usually has good deals, and if for some reason it disappoints you cal
always return it as you said.

Old December 16th 10, 08:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

I don't know why the link didn't work. Try this one.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-15.6-...emium/15230133
Then choose it from the list of available colors. That's when a window
will open that contains more nfo and views. If you enlarge the first side
view, you'll see the DVD drive.

Old December 18th 10, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

if you are going to have windows 7 you really
should have areo, which you do with home premium
I do Also able to change properties like desktop/backgrounds

create the recover set of operating

system, drivers, and application discs
Doing that right now

I've been removing unwanted software. Added Firefox, removed Roxie and PS
Elements 8 and a boat load of games. It booted up faster but at this point
is still slower than my XPS 420.
Still need to add Avast.
Am not connected to the internet yet. I have a (modem) Hugesnet Satellite
connection (rural living). Think I need a wireless router
to get on line with the laptop?? Could I get some suggestion on wireless
router that are good but not terribly spendy?
I'll need some help with this.
Thanks,
Monica
"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
On 12/17/2010 8:32 PM, Monica wrote:

that is great news. (and 'starter' does not). hopefully it is more than
just a dvd, but a dvdrw. if so then remember to get a few blank dvdr and
create the recover set of operating system, drivers, and application discs
because there is probably no recovery software provided with the system
(as is the case from all manufacturers these days thanks to microsoft).
enjoy.

Old December 18th 10, 10:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/18/2010 2:38 PM, Monica wrote:
[...]

laptops always underperform their desktop counterparts, and that is in
large part due to the slower disks. your walmart laptop (like most
lower priced laptops) has a 5400rpm drive which is slower than the
typical desktop 7200rpm drive.

if your laptop has a network jack then you could connect it to your
existng internet connection, however you may need to install some sort
of 'dialer.'

i was going to suggest getting a linksys e1000 wireless 'n' router for
under $50 at amazon but tim made a good point about not needing the
performance of a current generation router - you could go with a 'g'
type router for a lot less money and it would be fine given your low
internet bandwidth. however, the 'n' would provide you with more
operational range from the router to where you use your laptop. if it
is a small area (say a 50' radius) then the range improvement that comes
with a wireless 'n' router probably doesn't amount to much for you.