Can I Upgrade Vista with XP Pro "Upgrade" Version

Old March 10th 07, 02:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

Default Can I Upgrade Vista with XP Pro "Upgrade" Version

Thought : Buy a Vista machine and an XP Pro Upgrade (as opposed to Full
version). Will I be able to re-format and install the upgrade over Vista?

Old March 10th 07, 03:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I doubt it. Don't you have ANY eligible CD sitting around? 98? Me? 2000?

Old March 10th 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

I have 3 copies of XP Home for Dell boxes. Maybe my OP was unclear. I'm
thinking about buying a Vista machine, wiping that from the HD and
installing XP Pro. Will a copy of XP Pro Upgrade version work?

Old March 10th 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I understood. My point is that the upgrade XP Pro requires the CD of an
eligible OS. Vista won't be one of them. 2000, Me, 98 are. Find an old
CD. When you install Pro, it will ask for the CD. Pop it in and you're
set.

Rumor has it, though (haven't read the EULA) that Vista allows a downgrade.
If so, then it would be legal to use a Dell XP CD that matched the version
of the Vista OS to do a clean install. It wouldn't require a key. For
Pro, you would need Vista Business or Ultimate, I would think.

Old March 10th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

"Nota Clu" wrote in message
Thought : Buy a Vista machine and an XP Pro Upgrade (as opposed to Full
version). Will I be able to re-format and install the upgrade over
Vista?

Only if you have an older version of windows. ME and 2K for sure and I
think 98 also. XP home is a maybe.
Old March 10th 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

"Nota Clu" wrote in message
I have 3 copies of XP Home for Dell boxes. Maybe my OP was unclear. I'm
thinking about buying a Vista machine, wiping that from the HD and
installing XP Pro. Will a copy of XP Pro Upgrade version work?

You'll need to have a previous full copy of Windows, maybe 98/ME or
something to verify your installation.
If you intend to 'upgrade' from Vista to XP Pro, it won't work successfully.
You'd have to do a clean install, i.e. format the drive then install.

I don't know if your Dell copies will be full or upgrade version.

Joe.

Old March 10th 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:54:29 GMT, "Nota Clu"
wrote:

I have 3 copies of XP Home for Dell boxes. Maybe my OP was unclear. I'm
thinking about buying a Vista machine, wiping that from the HD and
installing XP Pro. Will a copy of XP Pro Upgrade version work?

What other people have already said is most likely true. There was a
time when XP first came out that student discount "upgrade" versions
of XP Pro were actually full versions that didn't require a
pre-existing OS (I know, doesn't make sense but that's the way it
was).

If you don't have one of those, then you will need another product
like others said.

If you don't have an older version of Windows to upgrade from I am
sure there are a lot of copies lying around, so just ask some of your
friends.
Old March 10th 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Here is how to do it:

1. Either request the Vista media when you buy the computer ($10 or so?), or
make a copy of the Vista already installed. Not sure if Dell provides this
feature on a hidden partition. Someone else can respond.
2. If you do not already have a copy of a Windows install CD for Win 98, Win ME
(VOMITING LOUDLY) or Windows 2000, get one.
3. Start up your XP Pro upgrade install. Let it reformat the partition with
Vista on it, essentially wiping it out. When the XP Pro install asks about a
previous version of Windows, insert your install CD from an older version of
Windows. Proceed normally thereafter... Ben Myers