Vista is Prime Time, for Some

Old April 21st 07, 07:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

Default Vista is Prime Time, for Some

Often I hear that Vista either IS or ISN'T ready for prime time.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's both.

I tried to force my Vista PC to my my Dimension X410 desktop. I had a
dual boot of sorts worked out for it, but it was the wrong PC to use.
Vista isn't prime time for that and won't be for a while due to the
utility programs, mulitimedia processing programs, and the hardware
that it uses.

On my laptop, however, Vista is prime time. I run productivity apps
-- Office, Acrobat, Instant Messengers, Quicken, Text editors, and the
list increases every day. Even some of my utility programs are now
able to run under XP.

If I only had one PC, I would wait for now, and before switching I'd
do my homework to make sure what I need is supported. So, in general,
with exceptions, it might be accurate to say that Vista is probably
not prime time for power users with one PC.

On my laptop Vista is Prime Time and I am enjoying it. Remote desktop
works with the XP counterpart. I run with Aero glass on and do not
have many problems. It does run fast enough. It's hard for me to
tell whether it's faster than XP because I always have XP set to
performance mode (no transitions), but for Vista I let it do the fancy
stuff. I would say for practical purposes they seem about equal to
me.

I am definitely putting it through it's paces. I have vista indexing
thirteen 250G drives, and one 500G drive. It is taking a long time to
find "Heart" on all the drives -- a major task. It still hasn't found
the rock group (Ann and Nancy Heart) but it has found Tom Petty and
the Heartbreakers. Actually, right now it did find Ann and Nancy
Heart, so it is doing a very thorough job of searching and presenting
information from all of those drives. I will be very interested in
seeing if a repeat query after a reboot somehow finds them quickly. It
will also be interesting, over time, if the computer somehow builds an
index for all the drives that would make a search for a file almost
instantaneous across almost 4 terabytes.

Usually I would just turn indexing off on all my drives for
performance reasons. I might still do that. I haven't noticed any
degradation of performance though with indexing on for all of the
aforementioned drives. If that's the case, as long as Vista performs
well, I may leave indexing on and let the Vista search engine do it's
thing.

(there was a program called "Enfish" or something that promised this
years ago, I wonder what happned to it)
Old April 21st 07, 02:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

Tom Petty - Yuck!

Old April 21st 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:08:08 GMT, "Nota Clu"
wrote:

Tom Petty - Yuck!

The only song I like of theirs is Last Dance with Mary Jane. I don't
like the lyrics! But the tune rocks.

I have some amazing music, lots of live and bootlegs. Heart is really
good.

Recently I am into Blackmore and Night. That's Blackmore from Deep
Purple. He's gone renaissance now and the music is unbelievable and
his guitar rifts fit right in. Anyone remember him?

Here's a link, Amazon can turn up more -- you can't go wrong, the
whole family would like this stuff:

http://tinyurl.com/2cbe23

Very wholesome, fun, music that can't be beat.
Old April 21st 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

Get the Heart concert DVD from a couple years ago. Its was filmed in HD and
will blow you away!

Old April 21st 07, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:00:10 GMT, "Nota Clu"
wrote:

Get the Heart concert DVD from a couple years ago. Its was filmed in HD and
will blow you away!

Cool, do you have a link? Could you paste a link from Amazon? I'm
just asking to make sure I get the right one.

Maybe I'll meet you on a music newsgroup and we can share our fav
music (not to pirate, just the names ;-)

Of course, I have all my music in a database that I can query using
SQL. I'd like to brag that I used my computing skills to do that, but
it's done from a program called Anapod Explorer, which allows you to
manipulate your iPod directly, including making backups of songs.

I let iTunes manage my music though so that my folders are exactly the
way they are in iTunes.

My favorite MP3 player by far is the iRiver Clix. The interface is
much better than the iPod's, and the FM is phenomenal. It picks up
every station in the area perfectly, and navigating and setting
presets is very easy.
Old April 21st 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 01:00:07 -0500, Journey wrote:

Often I hear that Vista either IS or ISN'T ready for prime time.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's both.

Agreed.

That said, Dell probably got a lot of flak for not giving people a
choice so now they are beginning to do so. Obviously a lot of dell
purchasers are not interested in Vista (MS are you listening). I
commend them for doing so. For me, XP works so I see no need for
Vista but I'm willing to try it after about 1 year or SP1 inorder to
give more time for 3rd party softwares to become compatible and Vista
drivers to become available.
Old April 21st 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Journey" wrote in message
Often I hear that Vista either IS or ISN'T ready for prime time.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's both.

I tried to force my Vista PC to my my Dimension X410 desktop. I had a
dual boot of sorts worked out for it, but it was the wrong PC to use.
Vista isn't prime time for that and won't be for a while due to the
utility programs, mulitimedia processing programs, and the hardware
that it uses.

=

Interesting, as my dimension 9200 (same as your XPS410) is my ONLY vista
computer and it has been rock solid. Surprisingly so.

Only problem I have had so far is that I can't update the firmware on my
Motorola Q cellphone. It syncs fine, but I can't do the update as they
don't support Vista. Their response was I should use XP.

Old April 21st 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Alive-Se.../dp/B00008H2I9

Old April 22nd 07, 02:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:05:03 GMT, "Nota Clu"
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Alive-Se.../dp/B00008H2I9

Cool, do you have a link? Could you paste a link from Amazon? I'm
just asking to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks! I ordered it and look forward to listening to it.
Old April 22nd 07, 09:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:57:40 -0400, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

"Journey" wrote in message
.. .
Often I hear that Vista either IS or ISN'T ready for prime time.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's both.

I tried to force my Vista PC to my my Dimension X410 desktop. I had a
dual boot of sorts worked out for it, but it was the wrong PC to use.
Vista isn't prime time for that and won't be for a while due to the
utility programs, mulitimedia processing programs, and the hardware
that it uses.

=

Interesting, as my dimension 9200 (same as your XPS410) is my ONLY vista
computer and it has been rock solid. Surprisingly so.

Only problem I have had so far is that I can't update the firmware on my
Motorola Q cellphone. It syncs fine, but I can't do the update as they
don't support Vista. Their response was I should use XP.

The main reason I don't update the XPS410 to Vista is that:

- I use my E510 Pentium 4, which is Windows Media Center, to test a
lot of software -- right now it's multimedia processing software. Just
for that there are probably about 10 programs, from ULEAD, IMTOO,
MPEG4 Direct Maker, and a lot of other obscure ones. The E510 is my
"junk machine", "sandbox" -- I don't care if it gets bogged down by
registry entries and .dlls. I do use CCleaner and NTREGOPT to try to
keep things clean. Surprisingly, it still runs acceptably and is
stable after about 15 months of doing that.

- The XPS 410 is the "Production PC" in which I install the software
from the E510 that works well. The extra CPU power cranks through
media conversions and other tasks a lot faster. So, I want the two
desktops to both have XP for now. There are some Palm PDA issues with
Vista (with workarounds), and I have a lot of other hardware such as a
HP Jornada HPC, Plextor Video Converter, external Creative Live "sound
card", Olympus and Sony digital recorders, Photo Printer, All-in-One,
two scanners, Logitech wireless keyboards, and some more hardware that
I want to wait a while to get better Vista drivers. Some hardware
does have Vista support but when I install the driver I find out that
a lot of the functionality is limited, at least at this time.

My laptop is perfect for Vista. I just found out that the "Ready
Boost" can use the SD slot on an Inspiron. I have a fast Sandisk
Ultra III 1G that stays there for that purpose. I don't know if it
improves performance, but it's supposed to, and it's supposed to be
pretty intelligent about whether the hard disk or added memory would
be most efficient. There's really no way for me to know if or how
well it works though.

I am pretty happy with Vista. I tolerate Office 2007 because I don't
use Word often (I use Atlantis). Access 2007 has some nice
improvements, although I don't see myself doing too much beyond the
basics with that. The main thing is that it can do a many-to-many
without the associative table to do the join.

All my other major software works on Vista, and it has been very
stable. I only had one blue screen of death and I think it was my
fault. I haven't had processes hogging CPU, freezes, or anything like
that. About the only thing I have had problems with is that some of
the programs don't use the "Aero Glass" APIs, and when accessing a
menu it can take up to 20 seconds. I just change the compatibility
mode and that fixes it. It's neat how Vista turns "Aero Glass" on and
off when that program runs and ends.