Large files on Barracuda IV in RAID

Old August 24th 03, 09:03 AM
Nick

Default Large files on Barracuda IV in RAID

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:18:12 GMT, "Dominic Willems"
wrote:

Have 3 Barracuda IV 40GB in RAID-0 using on-board HPT370 controller.

I know the Barracuda IV is the most horrible choice for a RAID-0 configuration, and I have
been offered the upgrade by Seagate, which I have not carried out yet.

In the mean time, I am experiencing system-freezes each time a large file is handled (I
estimate above 50MB). A simple copy will do. The HDD light stays on for about 8 seconds,
goes off for 1 or 2 seconds, then on again for about 8 seconds, eternally. Only a hard
reset will break the loop.

Is there anything one can do to stop this behaviour? I suspect the files are not damaged,
but the RAID controller chokes on them.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dom

I sometimes have the same issue, but it's far less common, and I
didn't point any link with the handling of big files. Moreover i'm not
in Raid config, but i'm using Barracuda IV.
I suspect it's because of the hard drive controller (I'm using an
Highpoint HPT366), because the frequency of failure changes when I put
it on primary or on secondary. And with the standart IDE port I have
no problems.
The Highpoint HPT366 and 370 are famous for not being compatible with
all drive. Check if there is a bios update for you.

Nick

Old August 24th 03, 10:01 PM
Dominic Willems

Nick wrote:
The Highpoint HPT366 and 370 are famous for not being compatible with
all drive. Check if there is a bios update for you.

I know, I was so lucky to get the HPT370/Barracuda IV combination a week before all the
negative reports came out. Am running the latest 2.34 BIOS, sadly.

Many thanks,
DOm

Old August 25th 03, 08:00 PM
Nick

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:01:26 GMT, "Dominic Willems"
wrote:

Nick wrote:
The Highpoint HPT366 and 370 are famous for not being compatible with
all drive. Check if there is a bios update for you.

I know, I was so lucky to get the HPT370/Barracuda IV combination a week before all the
negative reports came out. Am running the latest 2.34 BIOS, sadly.

If you find a solution, I'm very interrested.
You can try to plug the drive with an ATA33 cable, but you loose a lot
in speed.

Nick
Old August 25th 03, 09:43 PM
Baron Von Black

wrote:

Nick wrote:
The Highpoint HPT366 and 370 are famous for not being compatible with
all drive. Check if there is a bios update for you.

I know, I was so lucky to get the HPT370/Barracuda IV combination a week

before all the
negative reports came out. Am running the latest 2.34 BIOS, sadly.

If you find a solution, I'm very interrested.
You can try to plug the drive with an ATA33 cable, but you loose a lot
in speed.

Nick

Dominic

What chipset are you using, VIA by anychance?

If so Click the link and read this article

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/7.html

Had same probs with my A7V333-Raid (VIA chipset) with the promise RAID
controller.

Used the "Breese" patch and transfers improved.

Also, there used to be a BIOS update for the Barracuda IV on IBM's web site.

Old August 26th 03, 05:27 PM
J.Clarke

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:15:55 +0000 (UTC)
"Baron Von Black" wrote:

A patch for a seagate drive on IBM site ? Sound strange.

Nick

I'm not joking here's the link

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...psg1MIGR-46086

Latest Barracuda IV Bios.

Interesting. FWIW, a while back I was having trouble with an Adaptec
host adapter. While looking up a totally unrelated problem on the HP
site I found that they had a much, much newer BIOS than any on the
Adaptec site, that was intended to address an issue with one of their
tape drives. I tried it, and sure enough the problem I was experiencing
went away.

Not sure I understand why the product manufacturers don't make these
fixes available, but . . .

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 26th 03, 07:32 PM
Nick

What chipset are you using, VIA by anychance?

As said earlier, it's an HPT366, from HighPoint.

Old August 26th 03, 09:10 PM
Rod Speed

Nick dot fr wrote in message

Also, there used to be a BIOS update
for the Barracuda IV on IBM's web site.

A patch for a seagate drive on IBM site ? Sound strange.

Nope, IBM uses a variety of hard drives in their PCs.

Old August 26th 03, 11:11 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Nick" dot fr wrote in message ...

What chipset are you using, VIA by anychance?

As said earlier, it's an HPT366, from HighPoint.

He meant MoBo chipset, obviously.

If so Click the link and read this article

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/7.html

Had same probs with my A7V333-Raid (VIA chipset) with the promise RAID
controller.

Used the "Breese" patch and transfers improved.

Also, there used to be a BIOS update for the Barracuda IV on IBM's web site.

A patch for a seagate drive on IBM site ? Sound strange.

And you claim to be doing datarecovery?

So Nick/Charles, for how long now have you been doing that??
A month?

Nick

Old August 27th 03, 06:16 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"J.Clarke" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:15:55 +0000 (UTC) "Baron Von Black" wrote:

A patch for a seagate drive on IBM site ? Sound strange.

Nick

I'm not joking here's the link

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...psg1MIGR-46086

Latest Barracuda IV Bios.

Interesting. FWIW, a while back I was having trouble with an Adaptec
host adapter. While looking up a totally unrelated problem on the HP
site I found that they had a much, much newer BIOS than any on the
Adaptec site, that was intended to address an issue with one of their
tape drives. I tried it, and sure enough the problem I was experiencing
went away.

Not sure I understand why the product manufacturers don't make these
fixes available, but . . .

They do.
And then they retract them for no apparent reason other than sheer stupidity.