NCCH-DR large raid drives

Old April 17th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default NCCH-DR large raid drives

I have an Asus NCCH-DR Xeon motherboard. I am trying to use two WD 400Gig
Raid edtion SATA drives. The Motherboard will not boot with the drives
plugged in. The board works fine fine with two 250Gig SATA raid edtion
drives. I am running the latest BIOS 1005. Any ideas? THe board has an
integrated adaptec raid controller for raid.

Old April 17th 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I am using a 460W Sparkle PS. The system will not even boot with only one
drive connected to the PS and SATA connector. I don't even get post the post
to look at using drivers. I believe it has to do with the larger 400 Gig
drives.250's and 320's work fine.

Old April 17th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

That motherboard does not support Sata2 hard drives.
If the 2 WD 400 Gig drives are Sata2 then you have to change the jumper on
the drives to set them to Sata1 speed. Seems a waste not being able to
utilize Sata2 on a new board !

Old April 17th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "adaptabl"
wrote:

I have an Asus NCCH-DR Xeon motherboard. I am trying to use two WD 400Gig
Raid edtion SATA drives. The Motherboard will not boot with the drives
plugged in. The board works fine fine with two 250Gig SATA raid edtion
drives. I am running the latest BIOS 1005. Any ideas? THe board has an
integrated adaptec raid controller for raid.

Have you tried with all four drives connected ? Maybe if the
Adaptec RAID finds a couple disks with valid reserved sectors
it'll work. Try the "good array" in ports 1-2, and if that doesn't
work, try them in 3-4 (in case this is some kind of enumeration
order dependent behavior).

I disassembled the BIOS into its component modules, and there
is an Adaptec module in there copyright 2003. A Supermicro
board using the same RAID chip, has an Adaptec module with a
copyright 2005 date on it. That doesn't have to mean anything
sinister, just that the Asus code is a bit older than currently
shipping support for Adaptec.

And according to Google, the AIC-8130 is a Marvell 88SX6041,
so it isn't even designed by Adaptec. I think Adaptec's
contribution, is the BIOS code module.

Paul
Old April 17th 06, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Able to check drive on another sys?
Would this be a sata2 issue do you think? - I'm not sure whether your mobo
is sata1 or 2
If your mobo is sata 1 does the wd have a jumper/setting to use sata1 insted
of sata2?
( I believe jumper OPT1, 5-6, enables sata1 on a sata2 WD)
You may be better off contacting WD support
I know they are supposed to be backward compatible but I have seen reports
of probs

Old April 17th 06, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"adaptabl" wrote in message
I have an Asus NCCH-DR Xeon motherboard. I am trying to use two WD 400Gig
Raid edtion SATA drives. The Motherboard will not boot with the drives
plugged in. The board works fine fine with two 250Gig SATA raid edtion
drives. I am running the latest BIOS 1005. Any ideas? THe board has an
integrated adaptec raid controller for raid.

I was just reading a thread about another person's RAID controller
experience. They had just connected a couple NCQ drives to an
Asus motherboard, and the RAID BIOS stalled and would not allow
the motherboard to finish POST. That person tried unplugging
the drives, and plugged them in while the system was running.
The SATA data connector does not carry any power, so should be
safe to plug while the system is hot. (You connect power to the
drives before powering the system, and then plug the data cable
once you get past the "difficult" part of the boot sequence.)
That is another thing you can try, to get around your problem.

You will need a Windows level RAID management utility, to attempt
to access and set up the drives - I presume a server type board
such as yours, would have such a utility ?

Now, the question is, assuming you succeed in accessing the
drive while in Windows, will it boot the next time ? That depends
on whether the issue is with the SATA interface itself, or with
whatever data was on the drive. My hope would be that once the
drives are initialized, that they will work better during POST.
But there is no way to be certain of that.

Paul
Old April 17th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

The drives are WD4000YR I believe they are SATA 150MB per sec drives. If I
set the the jumper for option #1 The drives show a capacity of 250 Gig but
they do detect and the system post. So much for SATA making life easier.