Windows 2000 Desktop Running Out of Resources

Old April 26th 04, 08:33 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

Default Windows 2000 Desktop Running Out of Resources

Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of resources. If
I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example, sometimes the menus will
not draw. or if I try to bring down a menu the submenu does not come up.

It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory resource.
I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000 workstation, so I doubt
that it is a pure system memory issue. I suspect that there is some video
driver issue and/or some resource limitation in the video driver memory.

Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there any
setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would possibly
address this?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Old April 26th 04, 09:37 PM
Inglo

On 4/26/2004 1:13 PM neopolaris brightened our day with:

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:

Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of
resources. If I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example,
sometimes the menus will not draw. or if I try to bring down a
menu the submenu does not come up.

It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory
resource. I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000
workstation, so I doubt that it is a pure system memory issue. I
suspect that there is some video driver issue and/or some resource
limitation in the video driver memory.

Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there
any setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would
possibly address this?

Could be the power supply

How?

--
"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

Steve [Inglo]
Old April 27th 04, 02:39 AM
Maximus

"neopolaris" . wrote in message ...
Could be the power supply

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
Ever since upgrading to Catalyst 3.10, and recently 4.4, I am having a
problem where my Windows 2000 SP4 desktop is running out of
resources. If I open seven MSIE 6.0 browser windows, for example,
sometimes the menus will not draw. or if I try to bring down a
menu the submenu does not come up.

It's obvious the system thinks it is out of some critical memory
resource. I have 2 GB of physical memory on my Compaq W8000
workstation, so I doubt that it is a pure system memory issue. I
suspect that there is some video driver issue and/or some resource
limitation in the video driver memory.

Is this a known problem, and is there a known workaround? Is there
any setting for the ATI RADEON 9800 Pro that I can try that would
possibly address this?

I have Win2000 SP4 with 1GB and running Catalyst from 3.1 till 4.4; but
never have such symptom. Sometimes, when accidentally viewing some
porn links, there are more than 25 IExplorers on the desktops. The only
problems are pictures downloading drags the system down to waiting.

I guess you might have some spywares working behind.

Use ZoneAlarm, SpyBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, etc. to search for spywares,
and have a personal firewall to reduce the harm.

Old April 27th 04, 04:16 AM
Andy

I started having this problem after making two big changes at the same
time: installing Windows 2000 slipstreamed with SP4 and installing
Catalyst 3.9. I recently installed Windows 2000 slipstreamed with SP3
along with Catalyst 4.4, and the problem seems to be gone. This is
with AiW Radeon 7200.

Old April 27th 04, 05:43 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

I never have more than about MSIE browsers open, and they are very
low-resource sites. No porn on that machine, period.

There are no spywares on my machine. I run Zone Alarm, block popups by
other means, and watch Task Manager like a hawk. Heck, I kill Real
Networks' services at startup because I consider their automatic inclusion
into my service list highly intrusive.

You may be on the right track though to suggest it is some other software on
this system. It might be that some old device driver that is very badly
behaved may have a remnant left over on the system.

How do I even begin to explore how much memory each device driver takes?
How do I get a complete list of all device drivers on the system, and how do
I identify which are not native Microsoft?

Old April 27th 04, 05:44 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

That experiment seems to point to Catalyst 4.4 as much as it would any
method of installation.....

Since others install Catalyst 4.4 and do not have this problem, I am
assuming it is the interaction of 4.4 with something else that is
responsible.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com