Replace or not to replace? GA-7VTXE+

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 3rd 05, 03:44 PM
David Burnsed

Default Replace or not to replace? GA-7VTXE+

I've started having problems keeping my computer running. Sometimes while on
the internet or playing games - doesn't really seem to matter,I get either
booted back to the desktop or the computer reboots and then says windows has
recovered from a serious error. When it gives me a link to the Microsoft
Crash Analysis site it almost always says an unknown driver caused the
problem. Just recently it said there was a CPU hardware error. I've updated
video, audio, and board drivers but it's still the same. There does look
like there has been some swelling of the capacitors around the CPU, but most
times everything works fine. This system is about 3 years, old from the time
I purchased it refurbished from Tiger Direct, so yes it is out of warranty.
The main problem I have with replacing the motherboard is not the task
itself but having the XP reinstall disks that came with my computer not
recognize the new motherboard as the same system. I've looked around a
little at some replacements but have become more confused than anything
else.

Would replacing this board solve anything or should I look elsewhere for a
solution?

If I should replace the motherboard should I try to get an identical one and
what steps should I take to make sure everything is compatible.

David