Precision M6500 - screen shut off

Old November 20th 12, 03:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_14_]

Default Precision M6500 - screen shut off

On 11/9/2012 1:20 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
Ben Myers wrote:
Is anything reliable with Windows?

It's 99.99% reliable. It's just that we all keep stumbling across the 0.01% regularly... Ben

It stays up and running 24/7 for me with no problem, for years at a
time.

Unusual things aren't as well debugged though, like automatic shutdowns
of one kind or another.

Not well documented? Search Google for M6500 blank screen. Yes, it is
a well documented issue.
Once I get this piece of **** fixed, its going on eBay and I'm getting a
Macbook Pro w/ Retina.
A laptop that cost this much should be absolutely perfect.
Before you say it, it was 90% the cost of a Macbook Pro, with the same
specs.
Old December 31st 14, 09:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Can any one help me i have an m6500 i7 extreme and one day after using it for 3 hours it just turned off and when i bought it used only one left fan was just on and i saw a teardown video it only showed 2 fans can any one please tell me if my video card is going wrong of some thing and if i buy this fan http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...989187&alt=web will it go away PLEASE REPLY ANY ONE.
Old January 3rd 15, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:03:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Can any one help me i have an m6500 i7 extreme and one day after using it for 3 hours it just turned off and when i bought it used only one left fan was just on and i saw a teardown video it only showed 2 fans can any one please tell me if my video card is going wrong of some thing and if i buy this fan http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...989187&alt=web will it go away PLEASE REPLY ANY ONE.

FWIW, the Dell Precision M6500 has an nVidia graphics chip, same as many models of MacBook. nVidia chips have a long sad history of running hot, causing failure. I've dealt with failed nVidia cards in desktops, too. Several Dell and HP laptop models as well as MacBooks were subjects of a class-action lawsuit a few years ago against nVidia, settled with a lot of $$$ for the lawyers and a very short window, 90-days or so (???), for people to make claims about their failed laptops. So nVidia escaped with a slap on the wrist and continues to this day to be one of the three major players in computer graphics. Yes, nVidia makes some very advanced products with its multi-core architecture, but Ralph Nader's "Unsafe at Any Speed" may apply here... Ben Myers
Old February 13th 16, 06:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

I stumbled on this topic while searching something else, but am posting because I have a Precision M6500 that did this a lot. I applied the fix found in the "verified answer" he http://en.community.dell.com/support...519/t/19323478

The common problem is due to the video card getting a false overheating signal. My screen was blanking a few times a week, but it hasn't happened once in the year and a few months since applying the fix.
Old January 30th 18, 10:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Old January 30th 18, 10:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:55:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I stumbled on this topic while searching something else, but am posting because I have a Precision M6500 that did this a lot. I applied the fix found in the "verified answer" he http://en.community.dell.com/support...519/t/19323478

The common problem is due to the video card getting a false overheating signal. My screen was blanking a few times a week, but it hasn't happened once in the year and a few months since applying the fix.

Had same problem. Installed MSI Afterburner graphics card overclocking utility version 4.4.2 and reduced the clock speeds by 20%. Problem solved. Outlined below are the specifics.

Dell Precision M6500

Graphics Card: nvidia quadro fx 3800m

Graphics Card Overclocking Utility: MSI Afterburner 4.4.2

Clock setting reduced 20% to alleviate black screen issue.

Settings: Core Clock: Default: 675
Profile 1: 541: - 20%

Mem Clock: Default: 1000
Profile 1: 802 - 20%

I may increase the clock speeds by only reducing them by 10% - 15% if the system remains stable. That's the recommendation I came across on another forum. I used this utility in the past and it definitely resolved the problem but recently had to re-install it because I needed a Windows re-install and the problem started to re-occur. I expect that this solution will once again resolve the problem.

Old January 30th 18, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I, too, have used MSI's Afterburner to throttle down the graphics. Unless one really needs a fast frame rate for gaming, there is no reason to have an nVidia chip running hot, so clock it down and slow down memory accesses, too. As I said before, nVidia has a long and checkered history of pushing the envelope on graphics performance, with numerous failed chips. This is sometimes made worse by unscrupulous card manufacturers deliberately overclocking the graphics chip to be the fastest graphics in the 'hood. Other graphics card manufacturers have utilities similar to AfterBurner, with different skins but the same clock-changing mechanisms inside... Ben Myers