Is one 8800 better than sli from an earlier series?

Old April 13th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Guest[_2_]

Default Is one 8800 better than sli from an earlier series?

I would like to buy an 8800, but I need VIVO and I would replace it with an sli 7800gt.
Old April 13th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Guest wrote:
I would like to buy an 8800, but I need VIVO and I would replace it with
an sli 7800gt.

VIVO can be fulfilled by an SD/HDTV tuner PCI card. Some have the
ability to output a true NTSC interlaced signal for perfect TV playback.
Most TV cards are fairly cheap, but the analog encoders (Phillips
SAA71xx or Conexant based) are very high quality. HD tuners are equally
good.
Old April 14th 07, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Guest[_2_]

"deimos" wrote in message
Guest wrote:
I would like to buy an 8800, but I need VIVO and I would replace it with
an sli 7800gt.

VIVO can be fulfilled by an SD/HDTV tuner PCI card. Some have the ability
to output a true NTSC interlaced signal for perfect TV playback. Most TV
cards are fairly cheap, but the analog encoders (Phillips SAA71xx or
Conexant based) are very high quality. HD tuners are equally good.

See, I would hate to have to go through the trouble of buying a seperate one
since I am used to having it on the card. I don't know why they just don't
make it standard. It is a pain trying to find it all in one. It is even
worse when I cannot get any official onfo on the 8600 series which I know
will have it, but at less overal power.

Old April 14th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Guest wrote:
"deimos" wrote in message
Guest wrote:
I would like to buy an 8800, but I need VIVO and I would replace it with
an sli 7800gt.

VIVO can be fulfilled by an SD/HDTV tuner PCI card. Some have the ability
to output a true NTSC interlaced signal for perfect TV playback. Most TV
cards are fairly cheap, but the analog encoders (Phillips SAA71xx or
Conexant based) are very high quality. HD tuners are equally good.

See, I would hate to have to go through the trouble of buying a seperate one
since I am used to having it on the card. I don't know why they just don't
make it standard. It is a pain trying to find it all in one. It is even
worse when I cannot get any official onfo on the 8600 series which I know
will have it, but at less overal power.

Once you buy a decent TV card, you're all set. No need to keep worrying
about finding VIVO on every new series. Given that the same exact
encoder chips are used for both TV tuners and Video-In on graphics
cards; there's no reason to keep replacing the same component over and
over again and having to pay more for the card with VIVO features (or
alternatively having to skimp on performance like you suggested originally).

The only reason to absolutely require VIVO on the card would be an HTPC
with lack of slots or a small form factor PC. You really don't save
much money by bundling them. And as I said before, the encoder chips
(the most important component for image quality and capture abilities)
are often identical.
Old April 14th 07, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Guest[_2_]

"deimos" wrote in message
Guest wrote:
"deimos" wrote in message
Guest wrote:
[...]

Well all of the above is why I prefer to have it al in one. The only reason
I am not switching to ATI is because my board is Nvidia. ANy word on the
8600's?